Today is the day!

tlr681
on 6/15/11 9:01 pm - Canada

Finally get to meet with Dr. Pace today.  Now I'm getting nervous.  What if he turns me down.  That would feel like getting a death sentence.  I pray for good news today.

I have to check out of my hotel before my appointment so I won't be able to post how things went until I get home tonight.  Hopefully after today we will have a few more on the site.

Tam180
on 6/15/11 9:07 pm - Conne River, Canada
I am in Grandfalls for today, sometime we should have coffee as we are like 1.5 hours away

Tammy

Tam180
on 6/15/11 9:10 pm - Conne River, Canada
God, I got a paragraph in my head and i writes a sentence, lol. Let me try again.

When your back and I am in GFW often, so maybe we could have a coffee/tea

Good luck today!!!!!

Tammy

tlr681
on 6/15/11 9:13 pm - Canada
Tammy, I just instant messaged you. Did you see it come up on the bottom of your screen?
tlr681
on 6/15/11 9:17 pm - Canada
I would love to meet with you Tammy.  Next time let me know the day before and we'll try to arrange it.
TerrieNL
on 6/16/11 6:16 am - Hr. Grace, Canada
HI Everyone: Saw Dr. Pace today, he is a real sweetheart. Very easy to talk to.
Highlight of my day: I met Tina & Jenn in that order...LOL The most beautiful ladies
you can meet. We had an awesome chat in the cafeteria, even watched Dr. Pace have lunch...heehee, shhh, don't tell him. Anyway, You are saying by now get to the point
and tell us something....well, I don't have a surgery date, but he more or less said that
he would try and schedule me before Christmas or the new year. He asks that you
show that you are serious about the surgery and lose some of your weight. So, I
promised him that I would try and lose 30 lbs. and then he would do it !!! Going to
get my groceries along with Boost for my lunches tomorrow. Drink lots of water, no
pop, and I am going to do it !!!! If I don't I know Jenn will come to Hr. Grace and kick
my butt... Tina is farther away but I know she will give me a piece of her mind and
yell at me... We met a couple of people today, I hope they join the site. Jenn & I
had the same idea and we had the site printed out to leave at the clinic. Hers
were a lot nicer I got to admit. Nice little business cards. Ionly printed the addy
on paper...LOL  Thanks a million ladies for making my day a happy & special one.
Tam180
on 6/16/11 6:25 am - Conne River, Canada
Ya  and yipee and right on and whoo whoo.

Your on the list for surgery!!!!!!!!!   So darn happy for you. Do you have to do the sleep test thingy?

I guess the goal to loosing weight is also to show we can follow a prescribed diet.  I need to deal with my stressors and find some other way other than celebrating, comforting or I won't be able to do that.  Any news on another clinic soon?

I  am soo excite and happy for you and envious!!!    all at the same time

So congrats and enjoy your boost !!!!!lol

Tammy

TerrieNL
on 6/16/11 6:49 am - Hr. Grace, Canada
Hi Tammy, Thanks. No I haven't got to do the sleep test because I already have
my CPAP machine and I have been using it now since 2009. I had my sleep test
results with me to show him. So, he said that was fine and I didn't need to do it
again. The dietian is there to talk to you right after he leaves the office she came
in and gave me some pointers to start out with and she said she would contact 
me when my surgery date was closer. She is very nice too. I sure hope you get
a call soon. Maybe if you called the receptionist at Clinic1 in the HSC. She would
be able to tell you when his next clinic will be for the VSG patients. That is where
we were today, not at his office.
tlr681
on 6/16/11 9:51 pm - Canada
Good Morning Everyone,

By the time I got back last night it was too late to post.  I am approved for VSG sometime this fall.  At first he said he was doing lower BMIs first and I was in the mid range and would be done before Christmas.  I said if there was any way possible I needed to be done earlier and I explained why.  As of Monday coming I will no longer have a job.  With the field I work in the best time to find work is December/January.  I explained that I really needed to be done in time to get healed and feeling good before I get out there actively looking for work.  He was still hesitant but then I promised him I would lose 30 pounds before surgery.  He then agreed.  That would drop my BMI down from 49 to 44.  I know I can lose 30 pounds.  The problem is keeping it off. 

I met Terrie and Jenn yesterday.  Two wonderful ladies.  Jenn is just a wealth of information and makes you feel really at ease.  Terrie is such a sweetie.  Meeting them was the icing on the cake for my visit.  I also met a beautiful young lady named Jane.  I hope she joins this site.  Bravo to her for taking charge of her life and going after this surgery at her age.  She is gorgeous as she is.  She doesn't need this surgery for her beauty but I'm glad she is going for it to ensure a lifetime of good health. 

Here is how the process went for the whole consultation.  First you need to register at the main registration desk.  Then you go to Clinic 1 ( I am assuming it will always be clinic 1 because they have the bariatric scale and examination tables).  A nurse named Debbie will call you in and get your weight and your height.  Then you will be put in an exam room to wait to see Dr. Pace.  There were 4 of us waiting in 4 rooms.  Dr. Pace (a very friendly man) will come in and discuss VSG with you and whether or not you qualify.  He likes you to be well informed and confident.  You need to realize that this is only a tool and that you will have a lot of work to do afterward.  He will discuss you BMI with you and if he agrees to do you will give you an idea of then (fall, before christmas, new year, etc.).  No one got turned down while we were there.  He will want to take a look at your belly and will give you an idea of where he will make the incisions. He will also ask you if you have ever been tested for sleep apnea.  If not he will tell you that you also need to get a sleep study done.  After Dr. Pace leaves you will meet with a lady doing a research study about the wait times for bariatric surgery.  She will let you know all about it and it is completely voluntary if you want to participate or not.  Then you will meet with the dietitian.  She will tell you that you will have to do a total of three weeks of liquid diet before surgery.  First there is a two week trial liquid diet designed to get you used to how you will eat for the first while after surgery.  This is usually done within six weeks prior to surgery.  Then the week immediately before surgery you will be on liquids again.

It was a very positive experience.  No I just have to way for my date.  My cell phone will not leave my side.  Thank you to Dr. Pace and his staff and expecially to Janice for putting up with all my annoying calls.
Tam180
on 6/17/11 11:17 am - Conne River, Canada
Yaaaaa!!!!  that is great. again I am happy for you. I will let you know when I am next in GFW.

Thank you for info. If you need support I am here for you.

Guess i got to try to lose weight because I am in the high BMI range. Need to mull that over for a bit of time. Cuz it ainit easy for me to lose weight at all. But i know what I have to do to lose weight, just can not make a lifestyle out of seven days a week exercise and 1000 cal a day diet. I can do it short term like for 8 to 10 weeks. then I fall off because it is a brutal program. Then the weight goes back on.

I'll think on it why my daughter is home, it would be easier to accomplish. But i will try to find out when the next clinic is first and time a program with that. What do you think? What should I do?

Tammy

Most Active