Need to get my mojo back?

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/16/11 3:25 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
So here's the deal. 2 weeks ago today I had my meeting with the Dr that decides if I'm to be referred to a surgeon and he said no. His reasoning was that I've already lost almost as much with diet and exercise as he'd expect me to with surgery and that the few pounds left aren't worth the risks of surgery.

I spent chunks of the following week crying, but finally decided to just stick with the diet anyway (I generally feel pretty good eating this way) get involved in more forms of fun exercise, and let my weight settle where it does. Hopefully down some more, of course, but without beating myself up over it.

I went to tell my sis that, and about a dance class I want to try this Thursday, and she gave me heck for quitting just because of what the Dr said.

I've been so focussed on the diet for the past few months that my house is a pit and not much else is getting done. Is it bad to put the diet on autopilot for a bit? It isn't like I plan to start stuffing myself. (after all, I need to at least maintain for the next 6 months so I can get my panni done) I just want to think about something else - like finding more ways to be active, and clearing out the clutter and yardwork... I also have to pay attention to our Mum, who is in care, where I visit her 2-3 times a week.

I don't seem to multitask well. Should the scale be the most important thing - or is autopilot ok for a bit?

Any sane, preferably guilt-free, advice out there?

Also, what about maintaining for a bit, then tackling losing another 10#? am I in fantasy land?

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

thomasfirewife
on 5/17/11 10:55 am
Do you track what you eat every day?  That's what's kept me on track.  There are several free app's for smart phones or you can also access some sites direct on the net.  When I got denied for surgery I got PISSED and started the next day with logging my food and exercise...I'm almost at my goal so I know you can do it too!  It's hard when you have family stuff going on but honestly it's automatic once you start logging you won't ever think twice about it and it's a good way to stay on track.  Let me know if you're interested in the sites...I've tried several to compare but the initial one was the most user friendly.  Don't let the dr or your sis get to you - you've come so far on your own you can do it!!!  

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/17/11 11:56 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I record every bite in LoseIt, allowing myself what the dietitian told me to - 1400 calories, at least 20 grams of fibre and no more than 38 of fat. I find that keeping my protein over 75 grams and fibre over 30 grams keeps the hunger under control.

I also find that it helps a lot to eat the same breakfast every day. I'm a bit of a zombie in the mornings. My favourite lunches are a big salad topped with some sort of protein and homemade soup, so I think I'll consider those my standards, with the frozen meals the dietitian suggested as my "Plan B."

I can't manage as much walking as I'd like, but recently bought a bike and am really enjoying it. I biked over to mail a letter this afternoon (only 1 kilometre each way, but not bad for someone who used to have a handicapped tag on her car) and decided that I'm going to use my bike for anything a k or less away whenever possible. That includes the Y, dentist, doctor and small amounts of groceries.

What sort of eating plan have you worked out for yourself?

Kelly-Anne

thomasfirewife
on 5/18/11 12:11 pm
I use Lose It too.  I don't have a specific plan besides staying within or a little under my daily calorie amount.  I've become hooked on omelet's in a cup for dinner because I'm really not hungry in the evening.  I have a light breakfast and small healthy snacks thru the day... lunch is the most caloric meal usually.  I remember reading somewhere recently eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch, and a pauper at dinner...so I've recently switched my day around to reflect this somewhat.  I only set my plan at 1 1/2 lbs in April - until then I'd been doing 1 per week.  I had a stall for about 2 weeks in April which didn't help grrr!  I rarely go out to lunch or dinner but if I do I try to make my choices beforehand by looking at online nutrition or my Calorie King book.  I'm glad I can still eat what I want just in moderation.  Its weird too because what I used to eat doesn't even appeal to me anymore.  I have developed a sweet tooth since losing weight...HATED chocolate until I lost the first 50 and it was like hmmmm.  Usually I have a small piece of candy every day and that hits the spot - always dark chocolate.  I also don't eat after 8:00 unless there's a dire reason I didn't eat dinner  at a "normal" time
Kelly-AnneH
on 5/19/11 2:48 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
According to LoseIt the 1400 the dietitian put me on is supposed to give me 2# off a week. It's actually been 1# a week lately, which I was ok with, but now it's gone UP 2# and I'm not a happy camper. I've been extra careful in my counting and have been walking the dogs and riding my bike (SO fun!) as well as my usual aquasize, so I don't know what the heck is going on. Should I just keep soldiering on - hoping for the reward of a drop soon?

Kelly-Anne

PS. Even if I don't lose I'm loving being able to walk and ride - I used to have a handicapped tag on my car...

chellelynn3
on 5/20/11 12:46 am, edited 5/20/11 12:47 am - san bernardino, CA
Do you do your measurements at all? my guess is that the 2 pound gain is muscle, since you have added, the bike riding, the walking and the aquasize...... for me, as I have lost weight, sometimes I will go up on the scale but down in the inches, this is because fat is getting replaced with lean muscle, fat takes up more space or inches but lean muscle weighs more, its denser than fat. Thats my guess anyway, good luck!

Michelle Hendrickson Holistic Health Coach http://www.gracioushealth.net

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/20/11 2:16 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
That's quite likely it - it's tricky to measure myself, but I've noticed I need to buy smaller shorts for swimming (I feel nekkid with just a swimsuit on) and my bras are now loose on the tightest hooks - time for more shopping. It's also time for my monthly pictures. (my husband has been taking front and side pictures once a month so I can see the progress. It's hard to see the changes yourself, isn't it?)

I got the funniest comment at swimming a couple of weeks ago. Someone said "your neck is longer!" I looked in the mirror at home that night and it's definitely thinner (looks longer) AND I have collarbones! Who knew?

Kelly-Anne

chellelynn3
on 5/20/11 2:25 am, edited 5/20/11 2:26 am - san bernardino, CA
yes it is harder to see the changes in yourself! I still struggle wtih seeing myself as huge in my mind and then sometimes I will catch my reflection somewhere and think "who's that?" sounds silly, but it takes a while for our minds to catch up with our bodies! especially if you have been overweight for a long time, which I certaintly have! keep up the good work, and just keep on pushing! when my collarbones started emerge that was so exciting for me!! BTW biking and swimming are the best calorie burning exercises! I really want to get a bike myself, my husband and I have been talking about doing just that! well, i'm off for now, plan to do another 8 mile walk today! wish me luck! haha!    

Michelle Hendrickson Holistic Health Coach http://www.gracioushealth.net

zimmersdreamer
on 5/20/11 4:50 am - indianapolis, IN
 i agree with the muscle weighs more than fat. since Jan i added weight training to my regiment and didnt lose ANY weight. i was so frustrated. but I had to look at my wordrobe, I went from a size 20 to a 16! i was estatic... 
as far as auto piolit... as long as you are cautious with your food, not cheating too much, not gorging, you should be ok. keep up with the exercise and you may even lose a few pounds :) 
I had abdominal surgery last week and have been out of the gym for 3 weeks prior because of the pain, i cant wait to go back! as far as my scale though... down 3 lbs! :) 

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/20/11 12:15 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Tell us more about your weight training routine? Although I certainly want to lose more weight, how I look and feel are more important to me than what the scale says. That's why I'm so looking forward to getting rid of my pannis in 6 months. I can easily cover flabby thighs and batflaps (sleeves are wonderful things), but the pannis is ugly no matter what I wear. (or not)

I plan on continuing with my aquasize class, but it sounds like it'd be more useful to head upstairs afterward and do some weight training than to add other aerobic-type workouts?

Kelly-Anne

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 340 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 468 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 677 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 889 views