Metformin Weight Loss??

shellyb1203
on 8/2/11 6:59 am, edited 8/2/11 7:02 am
VSG on 09/20/13
I have seen "reports" that metformin can be useful to weight loss.

I have only been on Metformin for almost a week.  500mg/day (start taking that dsg twice a day starting tomorrow).   Digestion seems ok...just ...ahem...going more often.  No serious effects that should attribute to weight loss.   But I can definitely say that my appetite has been "curbed" in a sense.  No real cravings for "crap" food or to eat as much.  Seems like there is a "limit" and if there is too much then there is defintely a sense of nausea.  I have wanted more water though, which is a good thing.  But I cannot attribute the water desire to the Metformin or possibly the fact that it is very humid hot outside right now.   SO I guess I will see what happens. 

But has anyone experienced weight loss on Metformin?  If so, how long did it take to notice it and did it stay consistant or stall out after a time?

HW 375 lost 28 lbs. w/diet changes. Surgery SW: 347 5'1

zimmersdreamer
on 8/3/11 7:58 am - indianapolis, IN
 I had lost about 40lbs... (but i also started birthcontrol that had made me sick to my stomach also, when I stopped the BC i still had the stomach problems of MET but could actually eat) if you take it 20-30 min before a meal, with a large glass of water, i feel like its made me less hungry. the stomach problems do go away after about a month or so, it was a little discouraging because the weight started to creep back on. I am on 1000mg/day in 2 doses. for PCOS.  

please understand that my "results are not typical" as my DR says, because i was so sick with the BC... but yes it can help. 

i do Find myself craving carbs less, if that helps too.

Vyxxin18
on 8/3/11 3:18 pm - PA
First, I cannot speak first hand...but second hand. My mother was put on it and she lost a ton of weight. It made her very sick though, and she had bad vomiting/diarhea. She went from over 200lbs to about 125lbs. So yes, there are many studies that show it causes (if not directly) weight loss.

In resonsponse to zimmersdreamer...my younger sister was prescribed that for PCOS as well. Can you tell me your results with that so that I may pass it along? If you haven't been on it long...your results so far and maybe update now and again? She's only 19 but wants children some day...however isn't sure about medicating for it. Thanks
zimmersdreamer
on 8/6/11 9:02 pm - indianapolis, IN
 i have been on it for a year. proir to that the Dr said my uterus shows signs of multiple miscarriages (i DO have 2 children, 1 from a 50lb weight drop 8 years ago, and a second ironically when i was put on birthcontrol 5 years ago) I did notice more regular periods but because I was using a different birthcontrol with it I didnt get pregnant. I had a surgery 3 months ago to correct an endometreoma that was effecting my ovulation as well.... since then though I have "passed" 3 ovulation tests (I have been off chemical birthcontrol and just abstaining since surgery 3 months ago) so as far as I know, I am normal. my SIL who also has PCOS got pregnant 2 months after being put on met, AND off birthcontrol. so it worked for her! (2x)

the Metphormin, when I take it properly 30min before meals, make me less hungery. I still have to listen to my body, eat less ect. But I also notice, as i said before that things, ahem, more faster through digestion. 

memawrita
on 8/29/11 6:43 am
My daughter was put on Metformin a few years back. She had a lot of problems w/ diarrhea. She lost 12 lbs in 4 days. She started experiencing a lot of muscle aches & pains. It got to the point where she could barely walk she hurt so bad. I had to rush her to the ER. They said she was dehydrated & started into lactic acidosis. That is rare, but is a possibility w/ this drug. So, be careful & watch for any side effects. They took her off of it immediately. She eventually started taking cinnamon supplements & a couple of B vitamins, along w/ watching her diet. She's been able to control her sugar better w/ less side effects that way.
zimmersdreamer
on 8/30/11 6:21 am - indianapolis, IN
 diarreah is a side effect, thats why they tell you to drink LOTS of water... I am SOOO sorry that this happened to your daughter and glad they found an alternate method of controling her sugar. they put me on it for PCOS, and its killed my appetite also. and sadly yes I spen more time in my bathroom... 

FleurDeLis
on 9/25/11 9:58 am
GI issues do not have to be a side effect. Have your doctor prescribe the extended release version if you are pre-op.
tbl2008
on 9/26/11 5:18 am - Greenville, NC
I just wanted to share my story with Met. I was put on Met in 2007 for PCOS. I was at my biggest weight and wanted to lose weight before TTC. Eating a lower calorie diet and taking Met helped me drop 20 in no time. The only problem was that I had a bad side effect to Met. I had all the GI issues, but could handle that. The problem I had was the feeling like my heart was racing. I remember one night I honestly thought I was having a heart attack. I went back tot he doctor and she took me off it because I was having such a bad reaction to it.

Since I was able to control my eating at that time and lose weight my insulin levels came down and my body started to heal itself without the medication. Since I had that problem I looked into health supplements to help my PCOS. Cinnamon is good as someone already said, but also look into taking Chromium Picolinate. This can also help lower insulin levels and keep blood sugar level more stable. My body seemed to really respond well to the Chromium Picolinate. I've been on it since 2008 expect while I was pregnant.

This year I read a very interesting study on Vitamin C research done at the Univ of Arizona. Their studies have shown that taking at least 500mg of Vitamin C per day can help aid in burning fat. I seem to be having some good results from taking that as well.

I think PCOS is a epidemic among young women in our country. Infertility issues at such a young age is a devastating thing to go through. The sad thing is that so much of it can be prevented with keeping a normal weight and seeking medical help early when the problems start. Ok... I'm stepping off my soap box now! LOL!
285/204/199 starting/current/goal weight
sarafrye
on 1/19/15 8:13 pm

I've dropped 20 lbs in 3-4 months when I was on Metformin 500mg. Frankly, I'm shocked at how easily it has come off. The only "lifestyle" changes I've made are:
- taking my meds like I'm suppose to (3x rather than 1 or 0)
- walk/jog 2 miles 5-6 times a week
- low carb breakfast and eliminate/reduce snacks (this probably cuts a total of 50-80 carbs a day)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 360 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 486 views
Hi all
Traleen · 1 replies · 693 views
Plant Based
ebonymc2 · 1 replies · 908 views