Is 100 pound weight loss possible without surgery?

arkloser
on 5/27/14 7:56 am

After I woke up today, I became devastated after I’d weighed myself.  I was at 308 pounds, making my BMI 60.1,( I’m only 5’0” tall) making it a 6 pound increase from my last dr. office visit

a little over 5 weeks ago.  I had started eating more fruits and vegetables and drinking more water but everything was turned around this past weekend.  I went to several bbqs and picnics

with friends and family and spent most of Monday on the couch watching tv.

I thought I could lose weight on my own and avoid or at least delay getting wls.  This weekend was a setback.  I would give anything to lose at least 100 pounds without surgery.  I’ve attended

Weigh****cher groups before but most of the other women only had 20 or 30 pounds to lose

and many seemed to reach their goals in 5-6 months.  I’ve got a real serious amount I need to

lose.  Is it even possible to lose 100 pounds without surgery?  

I’d like to meet other who face similar weight loss challenges and hope to at least lose some of it without surgery.

Supergirl7877
on 6/9/14 4:42 am

It is possible to lose 100 lbs without surgery!  I did it.  I am down 160 lbs and have maintained that loss for 3+ years. The problem, in my opinion, is not losing the weight.  It is in maintaining the loss.  I think we’re all pretty much experts on losing it; it’s that component of long term maintenance that is hard to achieve.  I know that someone will chime in that only 4 or 5% of “natural losers” maintain their weight loss (and they will never tell you what study they get the number from) but to that I say this:  There is NOTHING so special about me that made me more capable to lose this weight and maintain than anyone else.  I had to check all my bull**** at the door and get real about what I was doing to myself, how hard I was really working, and face why I had failed so many times.  There is NOTHING so special about me that isn’t within each and every one of us.

For ME the decision to lose weight without surgery came from watching family members get WLS and a few years later begin struggling with their weight again.  I decided that whatever LIFE LONG changes I would need to make with surgery I would make without surgery.  I figure out the reasons why I ate, took inventory of all my excuses and executed a plan.  This is the same work that has to be done with WLS…it has been VERY hard work.  I continue to maintain the diet and exercise regimen that I used to lose weight.  I consider many foods “drug foods” and I don’t partake in them.  If you watch the forums there are so many people with “Help!  I am gaining my weight back” posts…the work is the same and the maintenance remains the biggest obstacle.  Consistency has been the only thing that has worked for me.  There is no end to my “diet”, there are no “cheat days”, I have foods I will never touch to my lips again.

I am here and happy to support you in any way that I can!  I started at 300lbs at 5’3”…so we are very similar!

:)

tadair
on 6/23/14 12:14 am - UT

Hello,  

I think there is a way to lose weight, high amounts of weight, and I am also looking.  I had convinced myself I would have a sleeve and just decided I was rather terrified ... is there another way(s)?  I realize that the other response to your question is a GREAT way to do this, but I guess I am looking for another tool to add to my 'will power'.  I honestly see myself as a food addict, and have decided to go to OA (overeaters anonymous) for a while and put a plan into place. 

But I am searching for another somewhat NON surgical device or tool to assist myself.  There are quite a few things available and 'just coming out'.  I do realize that most of the folks on this board are researching or have already done WLS of some type, so I came here to find others seeking other ways, and realize there may not be many folks here that are on my path of research at the moment.  That's ok.  I was pleased to see this topic on the forum.

I have used Pinterest to store my research.  I am reading a lot of doctor's research papers and things that are by doctors and for doctors, and looking at statistics that are listed for each device.  Many of the devices I have searched are approved in Europe and Australia and are being used there currently.  So trials have been done for most of these, in other countries, already.  Trial reports always include statistics, but you must remember that the struggle is later on, keeping it off.  I am interested in medications, and somewhat 'non surgical' devices or tools to assist me.

The one I am most interested in is Endobarrier.  Do a google search and read up.  There are USA trials ongoing now, and I hope to perhaps be a candidate.  Please realize, I have researched WLS for quite some years now, and though I had decided on a sleeve, and was researching Mexican doctors, I just decided to wait and try something not quite so permanent for now.  I do have a lot of weight to lose, and many of these devices seem to assist only for a somewhat smaller amount, but I am ok with that for now.  The endobarrier can be used to lose more weight, with a small change the doctor makes to it, or so I have read.  

Whether it be gastric balloons, meds, plastic sheath, a pill that expands into a balloon, or a device that empties your stomach, DO the research first.  These tools are not permanent, and that is what I am seeking at this time.  I hope to get a handle on my addiction to food, rather than doing a more permanent change to my tummy, at least, at this time.  I was hoping that with counseling, and attending OA, I can possibly beat this thing, and get a start with a device to help me initially.  I think all of us can regain, and that is the thing we work with, and need help with, the most.

Good luck...

t.

antebellum1812
on 8/15/14 3:06 pm

Hi -

I lost 125 lbs. over the course of 14 months.  It is very possible.  I did it all through diet and exercise.  I hit my 2 year anniversary of a lifestyle change on July 2.  That is what I discovered.  It can not be a diet or a temporary thing.  It must be a lifestyle change.  I agree with SuperGirl...maintaining is the hardest part.  However, if you choose a lifestyle that works for you and stick to it, it becomes the habit and not a short term solution.

Several times I have wanted to just ditch the "diet".  I would become frustrated or think that I was happier when I was overweight.  So, I would indulge.  But when I got up the next day, I went right back to what had become my normal lifestyle.  I had changed it up for so long that a moment of frustration didn't matter as much.  

I am a high protein / low carb girl.  It worked wonders.  With exercise, I lost 100 lbs. in 8 months.  The last 25 took forever!  I exercise regularly.  I go to the gym 5 - 6 days a week.  I found that if you lift weights regularly you build muscle and that will help keep you thin.  

It is very possible.  Find a route that you think will work for you.  Once you get the hang of it, it becomes habit.  I know people say practice makes perfect.  Actually, practice makes things permanent.  If you practice a new lifestyle long enough, it becomes permanent.  

I wish you the best of luck.  Losing weight is hard.  I get that it can be a real challenge, but it is definitely possible.

Supergirl7877
on 8/28/14 3:40 am

I couldn't agree more!  When people say "it is a lifestyle change" that is exactly what it is.  How I choose to eat and my activity level are part of who I am now. I am the health but of the office...the girl who ALWAYS eats healthy and chooses not to eat the calorie dense foods that are never in short supply.  That was not how my old lifestyle was at all...and even when I indulge in something I go right back to how I normally eat now...

:). Welcome!!

Shellfish
on 2/10/18 6:49 am

This is very inspiring, good for you. I'm so glad I came across these posts. I want to try to lose without surgery. Can I ask what your eating/exercise plan was for the 8 months?

Even sample day would help me, I have 160 to lose.

Thanks so much

Raze
on 1/2/15 5:02 pm, edited 1/2/15 5:06 pm

you will know when you lose 100lbs without surgery. YOU, not someone else. try it out, start soon, and good luck  

Bibo
on 1/27/15 9:18 am

Late to see this, but yes, I lost 198 pounds and kept it off for two years. I did have surgery, but that was because i did that TWICE....

hollykim
on 3/21/15 3:10 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
hollykim
on 3/21/15 3:17 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello
sele444 · 0 replies · 336 views
Here's how to lose 5 Pounds a Day!
Siam · 0 replies · 464 views