Lets make a Post Op Doctor list for OHIP applicants?

Aurah
on 4/30/08 9:38 am - Carleton Place, Canada
Why don't we put together a list of Post-op docs that are deemed acceptable by OHIP? That way the people who need to find a doc can refer to this list and have one more thing sorted out for them. Less stress for everyone! Don't forget to mention if the doc is for RNY, DS or other.
Cheers,                      
Trish                 It's brighter on the PhotobucketDarkside!! Photobucket 

Dawn Burke
on 4/30/08 10:50 am, edited 4/30/08 10:51 am - North Bay, Canada
Well, I don't know of surgeons in my area, but my family doctor is sure supportive of bariatric surgery in general (when it is medically necessary of course), although I am not sure how in depth his knowledge is.  However, he is very willing to work with my surgeon and order any tests my surgeon asked for, any prescriptions my surgeon suggests, etc.  Here is his info: Dr. Charles Cuncins 111 Main Street West North Bay, ON  P1B 2T6 705-472-5670 I had my sleep apnea study completed before surgery, and the doctor in charge of that supports bariatric surgery WHOLEHEARTEDLY!  He goes as far as to put pre-ops as far to the top of his waiting list as possible.  His wife Cathy works at his office and is incredibly supportive as well.  Here is his info: Dr. Erwin Feige 104-60 Champlain Street North Bay, ON  P1B 7M4 705-476-2104 I know these aren't surgeons, but unfortunately I don't know any surgeons in my area who have any specific knowledge of bariatric procedures. Anyway, I hope this helps!
Dawn
Open DS-March 8, 2006 Dr. Lutzrykowski
379/229/204(SW/CW/My GW)
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/08 11:51 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Feige was my sleep doc as well and he very much encouraged me to look at bariatric surgery.  I think his wife actually had WLS and she is extremely supportive.  In one year from one appointment to the next, I barely recognized her and she kept asking me which surgery I had finally chosen so I'm almost positive she had one.
Dawn Burke
on 4/30/08 12:41 pm - North Bay, Canada
I think you are right...I have heard that before, but I didn't know for sure so I didn't want to say anything.  In any event, they are very very supportive. :))
Dawn
Open DS-March 8, 2006 Dr. Lutzrykowski
379/229/204(SW/CW/My GW)
kyym
on 4/30/08 2:08 pm - Arva, Canada

I am a bit confused Post op?  Do you mean a list of doctors names that will work with WLS patients after surgery?  I am pretty sure the shortage of family docs is all over ontario.  Here in London you would be hard placed to find a family doc if you were healthy, if you have any kind of special health concerns it is next to impossible.  Is this what you mean?

Thanks Kim

ToyotaCarola
on 4/30/08 10:04 pm - St.catharines, Canada
My doctor is doctor D.dargavel in niagara falls. He was not aware that OHIP would approve any of this and now is quite surprised and says he will recommend this to other patients he wants me to be his 'leader' he says so i gave him permission to give them my number and i can refer them to the local support group.
Aurah
on 4/30/08 10:05 pm - Carleton Place, Canada
Latley OHIP has been coming back asking questions about applications and one of them is what doctor will follow the patient post op. Now I am a bit confused here also because I have seen some people say that OHIP wants a bariatric Doc and others have said OHIP was happy with their family Doctor. I guess what I wanted to do was put a list together of doctors who can take care of us after surgery in emergencies, and know what to do. Does that make sense?
Cheers,                      
Trish                 It's brighter on the PhotobucketDarkside!! Photobucket 

need_2_lose
on 4/30/08 11:22 pm - Sudbury, Canada
I spoke with Holly from OHIP and she said that it must be a bariatric surgeon, they're getting strict with this because it's all new she says and that's what they want.  Stupid i really think, there are people still getting accepted and don't they need  a bariatric doc to care for them in case.
Aurah
on 5/1/08 6:55 am - Carleton Place, Canada
DO you have the phone number for Holly or OHIP? I tried finding it, but dang their web site is confusing. Maybe we should all call with our concern over this and badger them into changing their mind.
jan135
on 5/1/08 12:39 am
That really is such a joke.  There are so few bariatric surgeons we're going to the states do they not think if we could find bariatric surgeons in Ontario we'd stay here.  Are they saying the doctors here in Ontario are not capable of giving post op care.   Do people that have heart transplants and other major surgeries only offered in large hospitals have to find very specialized surgeons to give care in their small hometowns????   You  need to speak to supervisors  at OHIP or have your own GPs phone in.   

Most Active
Recent Topics