Reaching Out - Need Help

Julie D.
on 4/10/11 10:32 am - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

It's been so long since I've been on OH.  I had my gastric bypass almost 3 years ago and was going great till about 6 months ago.  I've started gaining about 20-25 lbs back and I want to gain control.

I'm at a loss and I'm not sure what to do and feeling pretty depressed about it.

Julie
Karlalala
on 4/10/11 10:49 am - London, Canada
Hey julie.....

i am having the same issues.....I have pretty much been eating whatever i wanted and have gained some weight back.  Struggling to get control back is difficult.  Even when I determine to have an "in control" day i seem to mess it up somewhere along the way.  It is very frustrating.

Just know you are not alone!

I have determined that starting tomorrow I am going to be back posting on the What are you Eating Doing Today thread.  That helps keep me accountable.  Wanna do it too?  i will look for your post there tomorrow!!!!  :)

We can do this!!!!!

Karla  - Stayin positive and moving forward!!!

twins4meplus1
on 4/10/11 10:51 am - St Thomas, Canada
Get back to basics. Start tracking your food intake. Are you drinking your water? Exercising regularly? Taking all of your supplements?
You've come back here and that's a good start. You know what you need to do to be successful.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Gabygee
on 4/10/11 11:03 am - Canada
Hey Julie - I feel for you, girl.
you are living everyone's fear.

You can do this, though.

This is about your head, not your appetite, not your stomach.
This feels like it's happening to you.
So by following the others' suggestions, you are taking control of it again.
You are making it happen the right way, not allowing it to happen to you.

They talk about head hunger all the time. Do a bit of research on OH and check into some the blogs on head hunger. I found them helpful.
Also, I'm not sure if this will work for you, but try a counsellor, if you can afford one.
They tackle your choices and your compulsion in a similar way to the choices and compulsions of an addict.
I'm taking that route because I know that losing the weight originally was not the hardest part.

I'm not going to wish you luck, I'm going to wish you strength.
You can do this. You have the tools. And OH can offer so much help.
And partnering up is definitely a great way to go.

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/11 11:17 am - Guelph, Canada
 When I was at my orientation in Guelph the care team said its a 5 year commitment. 

What about calling your clinic and see if you can get in to see the dietitian 

Patti K.
on 4/10/11 11:53 am - Kingston On, Canada
Hi Julie...it has been a long time....like someone else said...get back to basics...maybe do the 5 day pouch test??  have you been keeping up with your follow up appts in Utica??  I'm going for my 3 yr check up in May....give them a phone call...get yourself back in there....you can do it!!!  Patti K.

ROSIESMILE
on 4/10/11 1:41 pm
Hi Julie,
I bought a journal to track food and exercise at Chapters this weekend (I don't have a fancy phone with fancy apps for that..).
What I love about it is that there are columns for different  nutritional content, so there is a column for protein.  Also a place to check off each 8 oz of water intake.
I found it with the fitness section, where they have the yoga supplies.

I like how it is laid out and also colourful & durable. 

It might be overwhelming to think: omg I have to stop doing this, stop that, get rid of this.. So perhaps changing the wording of your goals.

Instead of : I have to stop 'x'  try saying to yourself:  I will do....; 
Perhaps a positive wording will less harsh. 
Also, perhaps select 2-3 goals at a time.
This week:
I will be mindful of my liquids and monitor my water intake.
I will plan out my vitamins and take them all.

The following week you can add to your list of goals. 

There are support groups in Ottawa; many of the folks have teamed up with exercise buddies through the friendships they've made.  Perhaps that is an option. 

ALso, there is a new support group for people 14months + out of surgery.  This may be a good opportunity for you to attend.  There will be a reminder shortly.

You gotta start somewhere, which you did by initating this post. 
You will get some tips and tricks.  Try a few at a time.  Baby steps instead of the big picture. 

Joyce J.
on 4/10/11 11:57 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Julie

Nice to see you posting. You can do this, you have come too far.

Read the posts, do what people say and we are here for you

Keep posting and keep us updated

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

JennR
on 4/11/11 2:05 am
I read this book recently and the author recommended not just journalling but photo journalling...take a picture of your meal before you eat it...take a picture of anything before you put it in your mouth. Makes you stop and think.

joanne48
on 4/11/11 10:04 am - Carleton Place, Canada
Hi Julie,
it's Joanne :-)  I'm sad to hear you're going through a bit of a rough time/ But I have every confidence in the world that you will get back on track.  This is just a bump in the road.
Just remember how you inspired me...how you gave me pep talks, and advice when I was so scared.  You were and are my shining example!  YOu can get back in control.  You know you can my friend.  Too bad we didn't work in the same area, we could team u p! Always nice to have a partner, for food tracking, exercise etc.
I have been stalled since Jan. I haven't lost a single lb.! what is that all about!
Keep checking in here, email me, talk talk talk....

big hugs!
Joanne
xo
Most Active
Recent Topics