Sleeping

Geri T.
on 4/15/11 10:34 pm - Blenheim, Canada
Good Morning Everyone

I am one week out from surgery and since surgery have lost 10lbs.

My questions for you, I am at the stage where I am not sleeping at night and absolutely hate this stage.  I believe if you are healing sleep is good.  Right now sleep doesn't not seem to be my friend and I have been up the last couple of nights.  I have read where pretty well everyone goes through this stage.  I just want to know how long this lasts.

Geri

prdmomof3
on 4/15/11 10:38 pm - Canada

Hey Geri..I am in the same boat  I am 5 days out.  I am falling asleep at 9pm so I go to bed and wake up a few hours later and that's it I am wide awake and can't go back...not sure what is going on.

Michelle. (been awake off and on since 2:30am..YAWN)

3littlepigs
on 4/15/11 10:45 pm
It took about 3 weeks for me to get in my regular sleep pattern.  I would fall asleep with no problems but wake up by 3:00 am.  I felt anxious when I woke up.  It does get better and now I fall asleep and don't wake up at all.  Life is good...
Donna

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/11 10:57 pm - Canada
I'm 16 days post-op and I am just now getting back to (sleep) normality...not quit there yet but gaining on it. I have never worried about sleep, I know that when my body needs it, it will go get it. The more you worry about anything the less sleep you're going to get.
sueberman
on 4/16/11 12:00 am
I was so excited post-op I couldn`t sleep - I lost 18 lbs that first week - it was go, go, go.  But i crashed the second week and slept well.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Jennifer D.
on 4/16/11 12:16 am
After my first surgery (open) I could only sleep in a recliner and even then I was getting so little sleep that I was going crazy. I was so exhausted that I'd have crying fits out of nowhere. My doctor prescribed me ativan and I used tylenol pm and the combination worked to give me at least 6 hours sleep a night.
After the second surgery I again had to sleep semi-upright. I was on dilaudid for pain this time and I slept sooo well from the beginning.

Some pain medication has caffeine in it and that can cause you to lay awake. I used tylenol 3 Thursday night for my hand and was awake all night.
Geri T.
on 4/16/11 2:21 am - Blenheim, Canada
thanks for the help.

I am not on any pain meds since leaving the hospital so I know thats not it...its the stupid anesthetic that I had. 

On the plus side...I can almost lay on my side

Geri

CanDoItFour
on 4/16/11 4:45 am - Canada
It took me almost 4 weeks before I could reliably sleep through the night without spending 1 to 2 hours in a chair mid-way through, and 7 / 8 weeks before I could roll around in bed without feeling like my insides were shifting about.  Now I'm back to sleeping like a baby (9 weeks). 
ms_dar
on 4/16/11 10:09 am - Canada
Glad to see you are only complaining about lack of sleep..that must mean that everything else is going well for you. I'm sure that every day will continue to get better and for now enjoy your time off work and sleep when you can. when you can't sleep you can always play online.
Ottawa34
on 4/20/11 8:44 pm - Ottawa, Canada
I am just over a 1 mos out from surgery, but the first 2 weeks were brutal as far as sleep goes.  I'd fall asleep around 9 or 10 but be wide awake by 4-5.  Being stuck sleeping on my back didnt help in that departement either... I tried taking gravol, dilaudid (gave me weird dreams) and finally tylenol to help sleep but they only provided 4 hours at most.  It will pass and you'll be snoozing away :)
Most Active
Recent Topics