Way to go Patrina!

Trisha
Started Process Oct 2009
June 10th 2010 - Surgery
My  is Patrina
HW: 409.8lbs, Optifast SW: 391.8, SW: 366 SGW:210 GW200 

sueberman
on 6/13/11 3:09 am, edited 6/13/11 3:12 am
Interesting article, but there's a few statements I wish they hadn't included - "I was sick to death of being immobile, of being ugly." It kind of made me cringe.

Also, this statement:

What are the criteria to be considered for bariatric surgery?

•a body mass index of 35 or higher with a significant associated medical problem such as Type 2 diabetes.

- We know that lots have had surgery with no co-morbidities.   I would hope it doesn't deter someone from seeking this surgery.

Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Karen M.
on 6/13/11 3:14 am - Mississauga, Canada
Well, as wonderful as the article was and Patrina looks fabulous - they're only taking her word for things.  Not exactly a medical expert, and doesn't keep up to date on this site.  So they printed what she told them.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

RubyTues
on 6/13/11 1:04 pm - Canada
I find it interesting how they are giving stats of the waiting list being a year, when I started this process with my referral in May 2010 and have been told recently I'm looking at May 2012 for my surgery!! That's TWO years.
Sharon D.
on 6/13/11 3:55 pm - Guelph, Canada
Thank you for posting the article I really enjoyed it. Now as far as people getting in with no co-morbities. I have sleep apnea but everything else is fine. I recently had Gall bladder surgery and lost 47 pounds which has actually taken me to 39 BMI from 43.75. Now I  had my first appt with Nurse Dietition June 10 and they are really trying to find another co-morbity. Now granted they did not deny me but it is going to be a hard struggle for me, They are getting pickier and I asked the staff how the referall process was going and as we know Guelph is backed up. New people are going to take a lot longer to even get an orientation date. So yes there are people out there right now saying "well she lost 47 pounds" and she is doing really well on her own. I have been so sick from my gall bladder surgery. Please keep in mind that I deserve the surgery just like anyone because I need to complete this journey that I started October 2010.

Thanks for listening
Sharon
Dr Referal October 3/10     SW NUT AND NURSE June 10/11  8am
Orientaion was March 10/11 Upper GI April 13 9am-10am HPylori Test - Negative CPAP -done
Ultra Sound -March 3/11All other tests are done!!!!! Next Appt Aug 15/2010

mom4life
on 6/13/11 8:30 pm - Port Rowan, Canada
I didn't notice Patrina commenting on anything medical, just her on own experiences and how it has affected her.  The way I read it, there are three nurses quoted for the medical information.

The quote she makes about feeling ugly didn't make me cringe, it did however make me feel sad for her.  I know that the changes to our physical appearance is only part of the reward for losing weight, but let's not lie, it is a very nice part, and the self confidence boost that comes with the improvements is amazing...sounds to me like she needed those boosts.

I think the article is very inspirational for those considering the procedure.  And Patrina has really rocked her surgery, she looks awesome.  Congrats to her, wow, what a transformation.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

laura S.
on 6/13/11 9:08 pm - London, Canada

Most Active
Recent Topics