How can I be too thin???

mom4life
on 9/12/11 3:01 am - Port Rowan, Canada

Twice in the last week I have been told it is time to stop losing weight.  On Saturday my SIL told me that if I lost anymore weight I would look anorexic.

According to the BMI charts I still have a BMI of almost 29.  That means that I am still overweight...not only am I still overweight, but I am only a few pounds shy of being "obese".  At 5'2" and 158 lbs, how can people think I am too thin? 

I have lost 134 lbs and am carrying some extra skin which I have been saying for ages skews my own self image, but I can't figure out what my friends and family are seeing that I am not.

“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
  but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? ~Maria Robinson

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

sam1am
on 9/12/11 3:09 am
People aren't use to seeing you at this size.  I said, yes I'm done losing, just to shut them up, but kept losing, lol!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

mom4life
on 9/12/11 3:32 am - Port Rowan, Canada
YES!  That is what I should do.  My answer so far has been that I am "almost" done, but that's not working anymore apparently.  I will take this advice and just say "Yep, I am done!".

HW:  292 lbs          SW:  226 lbs        Clinic's GW:  160 lbs          My GW: 145 lbs

sueberman
on 9/12/11 3:11 am
Ask them - sometimes I think it's more that they're so used to us being big that they too have to visually adjust.  My brain just can't get used to how I look now - I hope it catches up soon though. lol
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

mom4life
on 9/12/11 3:34 am - Port Rowan, Canada
I hope that happens for me too, but to the best of my knowledge they never have been...heck, I don't think my mind and body are in the same book most of the same time, let alone the same page.

When I was larger, I never saw myself as big as I was.  And now smaller, I am pretty sure I see myself bigger than I am...

highlandbear
on 9/12/11 3:13 am - Canada
When I lost my weight I had many people say I looked to thin. I am also 5"2". i was also told I looked sick. At one point it was true but now at 120 pounds people are starting to except my weight. The problem is they are so use to us being heavy that they have problems when we lose weight. They can not get use to seeing us skinny. I would be nice and tell them that it is OK that bmi is in a healthy range for my height and I feel great. I would tell them they just need to get use to the new me. Now that they have gotten use to me at this weight they stop saying anything. They just tell me I look good. Give them time tell them you feel good. They are just worried. It takes us awhile to get use to being thin and it can take friends time also
mom4life
on 9/12/11 3:31 am - Port Rowan, Canada
I have gotten the "sick" comments/questions too.  But most people don't say it to me, they ask my husband behind my back if I am ok, or if they should be concerned about me.

I do feel like I look older than I used to, but I didn't think I looked sick.  It is nice to know that that also passes.

samtq
on 9/12/11 3:16 am - Ottawa, Canada
Try not to take it negatively.  They aren't used to seeing you at this weight so relatively speaking you are skinny in their eyes.  They have no basis for comparing you to what you look like at YOUR normal BMI.

Add to that the fact that you still see yourself bigger, it can mess with your head.  I just used to say, "It's out of my hands.  My tool and my body will decide what weight I should stop at and if I believe it's too much then I will do something about it."
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.? --John “the Penguin? Bingham 
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. ~ Nelson Mandela

HW: 247.5/SW: 228.5/CW:135/ My GW: 140/SGW: 151
mom4life
on 9/12/11 3:25 am - Port Rowan, Canada
Thank you for this reminder not to take it negatively...cause that's exactly what I did.  I walked out thinking to myself, "Sheesh, I just can't win, can I?"

samtq
on 9/12/11 3:51 am - Ottawa, Canada
You are a winner baby!!  A big winner!!!  Just smile and tell yourself (inside voice) that they don't really understand.  lol
“The miracle isn’t that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.? --John “the Penguin? Bingham 
There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living. ~ Nelson Mandela

HW: 247.5/SW: 228.5/CW:135/ My GW: 140/SGW: 151
Most Active
Recent Topics