How do you break a stall?

CdnGal
on 12/15/11 3:06 am - Canada
This kind of goes on the heels of the other post about tips for wls, but I am 6 months post op, have lost 81 pounds- and yes that is great- but... I have been in a stall for at least a month and a half now.  So what can I do to break or change this stall??  I am getting frustrated and upset.  I have cut down on excercising this month only b/c I am sooo busy, but plan to start kickboxing and zumba again after Christmas.  I am still runnng/jogging 3 times a week though.  I eat few carbs, take my vitamins, and drink my water.  Any suggestions are most welcomed.  Thanks!
ashleighsmom
on 12/15/11 3:10 am
sit tight it will break once your body adjusts to the new weight it will come off again
CdnGal
on 12/15/11 3:20 am - Canada

It has just been a very very long time and it is not like I have gone down in dress size or anything.  I am the same.  I know that you shouldn't compare, but it is soooo hard when other people are losing so much more weight than you are. 

ROSIESMILE
on 12/15/11 4:40 am
On December 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM Pacific Time, CdnGal wrote:

It has just been a very very long time and it is not like I have gone down in dress size or anything.  I am the same.  I know that you shouldn't compare, but it is soooo hard when other people are losing so much more weight than you are. 

Do not fall in the trap of comparing yourself to others.
We all reached our heighest weights due to different behaviours and timelines.
It's easier said than done... I know because I'm there too.
Thanks for posting as it will give me some ideas as well.

Monica M.
on 12/15/11 3:51 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
just a comment.. if you've lost that much, i think you deserve a new avatar pic, dont you?

You said that you're eating "few carbs". What do you actually mean? Do you track your food so you know exactly what you're getting in?

I'd suggest that you participate in the "what are you doing/eating' thread that's started every day by someone.

CdnGal
on 12/15/11 8:46 am - Canada
 I probably should get a new picture... This one is special to me as it was taken when I was hiking in Alaska.  I haven't had a new picture taken for awhile.  Perhaps over Christmas.  I used to track everything on fit day but I haven't lately.  I should probably go back and do that again.  I don't eat a lot of bread or anything, I have a little bit of potatoe/rice every once in awhile, most of my carbs comes from fruits and veggies.  At my last nut appoint they wanted me to eat more fruits/Vegies so I have tried to get more in.  I am just in a really really big stall, and would appreciate any suggestions on how others overcame it.  At what month do you stop losing the weight?  Thanks!

Monica M.
on 12/15/11 12:46 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
its a beautiful picture, but it would be nice to see what you look like now.

I'd suggest you track each and every thing you put in  your mouth.

You should also keep taking pics regularly, to check your progress.

Karen W.
on 12/15/11 11:12 am - Canada
I completely get your frustration.  I'm 8 months out.  I've been mostly stalled for the past couple of months and although I seem to be losing again, it is 1/2-1 lb/week for the past 2 weeks.  No, it's not a good idea to compare... but it's very hard not to.  I've felt pretty discouraged when I've seen that most peopleon the forum with similar stats have lost significantly more than I have in less time, and I've wondered what I'm doing wrong (even though I track religiously and have been told by the nurse and NUT that I'm doing everything right).

Hang in there.  You're only 6 months out so are definitely going to lose more as long as you follow the guidelines.  I was told to eat 1000-1200 calories per day, 65-80 g protein, and a very small amount of carbs several times a day (fruit or veggie with every meal, and maybe1/4 slice of toast or 2 T of cereal with my yogurt, etc).  Exercise if you can; a little bit is better than none at all.  And make sure you're getting enough water, at least 2 L of caffeine-free liquids daily.  Keep the faith, this will continue to work for you!  And don't let the stall sabotage your eating (this would be so easy to do, especially at this time of year); don't allow those "this isn't working so I may as well eat junk food" thoughts to set in!  My thoughts are with you...

RNY April 11, 2011       

PatXYZ
on 12/16/11 12:22 am
You can try upping your protein, especially on days when you're exercising, by adding a shake. Maybe try to focus more on veg than fruit since fruit generally has a lot more sugar (carbs). I think if you start tracking again you'll get a clearer picture of what can be tweaked. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics