Journey/ 5DPT/ Plan... & maybe TMI here and there, long-ish...

Leanne1
on 1/24/12 3:25 am - Newmarket, Canada
I have to admit, I have had an awesome journey thus far

I am going to do something that I have always said that I would not do. The 5DPT!

I am not doing it to see if my pouch still works because believe me, it suuurrrrre let's me know at times that it's smaller then before.

If you know me personally (some here do) know that I am very regimented in eating the same thing all the time. I don't like to sway too much from things I like to eat, I have ALWAYS been that way. I also have to admit that I have gained a few pounds since Christmas and a couple things can be attributed to that: 1) I have swayed a tiny bit and have "treated" myself to much since Christmas and 2) I have an issue with constipation (GRR!) which I have ended up in the ER a couple times for (one time I knew about it and this last time, I didn't know at all because I "go" everyday).

Now that I have reached this part in my journey to better health, and since I ended up in the ER almost 2 weeks ago (#2 above), I have re-evaluated my foods, vitamins and whatnot as a start. (I have also added more fibre to my diet. They don't talk about the fibre stuff in the nutrition class, or at least they didn't when I went to it.)

The plan:
1)  Vitamins- I have decided to cut my vitamin intake. I was taking 2x multi-vitamins, 1 D3, 2-3 calcium citrate per day. I have altered it to.. 1x multi-vitamin, 1 D3, 1 calcium citrate (315mg) and 2x B12 per day. I have done this because in doing some checking, I think I was getting too much of some things (I also eat alot of dairy- which will also change in the near future) I do have an appt booked with my Dr to discuss these changes but as of right now, I am already noticing a HUGE difference!
2) My foods- I eat ALOT of dairy (yoguart, different cheeses, milk) in a day. I went back thru my food logs (I track my foods from time to time)  and noticed that I also do not eat enough fibre. I was getting between 10g and 13g of fibre per day and when I looked into how much "an adult woman" should have- it said an average of 30g per day. (get your fibre in everyone!) So I went out and got a couple cereals and flaky bran to bake with. I made muffins- YUM! by the way :) and add the fibre cereal to my yoguart.

I need to try new things. I am slowly learning to eat different foods (don't forget, I'm regimented).
When I was getting ready to have my surgery I bought Kaye Bailey's "A Collection of Neighbourhood Recipes" cookbook. There is alot of great recipes in it. So, in using this cookbook and the 5DPT website, I made a meal plan for 5 days. I know that usually Day 1&2 are the "liquid" days of the 5DPT but I will be adding my bran to my yoguart, I need to that to keep me moving. :)

I have decided that I will start on Saturday! I have chosen to start then, not because of procrastination, but I have already prepared food that I have to finish (my BF hates waste, and I have alot of waste so I should eat what I have made).

I have a list of foods that I can make ahead (soup, egg bites, and high protein pudding- all of which will be new foods for me to try).  Everything else on my menu can be done as I need it.

I'm just about ready to begin :)
If you want to join in, please do Saturday is the start day

ToNewBeginnings
on 1/24/12 4:32 am
Hi Leanne,

Before surgery I had issues with constipation and after surgery it got a LOT worse!!!
I was using Lax-A-Day (also known as Restorolax). It softens your stool. It's a white powder that you mix with your liquids. It dissolves and is clear, no thickening, no grit. I was using this off and on when I needed to. My Dr. says it's not habit-forming. Works wonders.
I tried to take it only when I needed, and I found that one day I would go to the washroom and the next day bam! -Badly constipated. I didn't want to take it everyday.... 

...So, I decided to try something more 'natural' and I have been taking 4 tsp of Fibre 1 a day which I spread out in my drinks. (Equals 48% of daily value of fibre). I've been drinking an average of  seven cups of water a day and exercising 5 days a week. I have done this for two weeks and I have gone every day except for once, it was two days. Seems to be working.

I hope you find something that works for you!
-Yvonne
Leanne1
on 1/24/12 4:40 am - Newmarket, Canada
Hi Yvonne :)

Yep! I have Restoralax too and some other things as well and none of them seem to work well for me. This last time I ended up in the ER, I didn't feel like I was "full" and was really quite surprised when the dr told me.

I have also tried soflax, suppositories, citra-mag, enemas... when I have felt like I needed them and sometimes none of it works, it sucks. But I seem to meddle thru somehow.

I don't want to take something like these things everyday either.

Where did you get your fibre one a day?? Maybe I should try that....
ToNewBeginnings
on 1/24/12 4:48 am
I just looked at the bottle and sorry, it's not called Fibre 1 a day.
It's Benefibre. (you prob. recognize that name)
Comes in a plastic container, the colour is granny smith apple green with yellow on the front. Walmart has it. If you have a Costco membership I would try there first. 
Leanne1
on 1/24/12 4:51 am - Newmarket, Canada
ahh yes, I recognize that. I will look into it ;)
OKNEE FE + 3
on 1/24/12 7:43 am
One of my WLS buddies swear by benefibre. . .fortunately its a "non-issue" for me

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

Leanne1
on 1/24/12 7:46 am - Newmarket, Canada
I actually went and got some benefibre this afternoon after Yvonne suggested it. I will add it to my fluid intake and see what happens.

twins4meplus1
on 1/24/12 10:54 am - St Thomas, Canada
Leanne just make sure you are drinking tons if you are taking Benefibre or it will actually constipate you.
I too suffer from constipation but the Lax A Day is working for me right now.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

Leanne1
on 1/24/12 11:01 am - Newmarket, Canada
Good to know! I will keep up with the bran since it's working :) 
** August *.
on 2/1/12 4:58 am - Newmarket, Canada
Hi Leanne!!

I am in!! I will work out a menu today! I think if I do not have a plan I will fail miserably!

Cheerio!
Carrie
All my best in your journey!

Carrie

Most Active
Recent Topics