Things people say....

Brenda T.
on 2/9/12 6:41 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Ok so we all know all the research and appointments we go through to get to this point of deciding to have surgery.  All the diets and exercise and being deprived.....

Well I haven't hidden the fact that I'm going to have this surgery, but one of my neighbors found out the other day and she told me not to do it, that I wasn't that fat.  When I told her I was medically morbid obese, she said no they are wrong, all I have to do is walk and watch what I eat. LMAO  I said geese I never thought of that. lol  She leans into my husband and tells him to talk me out of it.  And he said she is well researched and knows all the risks and complications, she knows what she is doing.  Good man hey :)  He also said it was a tool to help me and that I would still have to work at it.  Aww he does listen to me. :)

It's funny that people must think we just woke up one day and was fat, so you just have to walk it off. lol lol

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

agrmax
on 2/9/12 6:55 am - Oshawa, Canada

So true!!!  I have not kept it quiet everyone at work  friends and family know what I am having done.  It seems most people know someone that has had it done and they all have had major medical issues after and they are all nice enough to let me know.  They are telling me to jus****ch what I eat and regularly exercise not to do this.  I tell them this is the path I have chosen it was not a quick decision.  I am sure some do not understand.

Orientation September 2011 - Surgeon appt January 23, 2012 - Surgery February 13, 2012

Dianadcr
on 2/9/12 7:37 am - Canada
Like you Brenda, I'm not that big. Yes I'm obese, 190 lbs when I started this process. I got the same comments. Try exercising, watch what you eat. Been there so many times and thousands of dollars later. Since surgery two weeks ago I have 52 lbs to lose. But bigger than the weight loss, I don't have to take the four metformin and the two glicizide. I am no longer diabetic, don't have high blood pressure any longer and I'm sure my cholesterol is better. This surgery has not been easy, but inspite of the pain, discomfort, I'd do it again. So Brenda, don't let those neysayers have the final word. Trust me friend you will be happy you are taking care of your life and body!
  Diana

formerlythebigguy
on 2/9/12 7:54 am
I am one week post op. I have only told four people and they are all family. I took vacation time from work so I wouldn't have to tell anyone where I work. I am very concerned about people finded out and giving me a hard time. Not sure if I can keep it a secret if I drop a hundred pounds over the next several months. I guess we'll see what happens...
Heidi S.
on 2/9/12 9:04 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 I'm like you Brenda and not keeping it a secret, I tell whoever is willing to listen. I've also been told by a friend that I'm not that big, then I explained it all to her and told her what I weighed. She wouldn't believe me so I had to get on the scale. 
I am so happy with your hubby for what he said to the neighbour. My hubby does the same with people and he researches right along with me, he goes to every appointment with me. The only one he won't be attending is my psych because I want to get in earlier.
I just tell myself and others I'm doing it for me not for them.
My sister who is a yoyo dieter and is the type that does lose the weight then puts back on twice the amount. I eat far less then her even when she is on a diet and I still don't lose weight. I even exercise more then she does. She tells me I just have to do more. My hubby and other family members tell me it's because she will be the biggest one in the family then and she doesn't want that. People like her, my friend and your neighbour just make me want to scream.
lol

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Lorraine M.
on 2/9/12 11:49 am - Canada
 Thats why we are on this forum. If they havent walked in our shoes they just dont understand.

ps sounds like you got a keeper there Brenda

TBIYTC
on 2/9/12 1:18 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
A husband that actually listens?!!!!!  Wow Brenda, he's definately a keeper!

I have told only a couple of people about me wanting surgery - I just don't want to hear"I heard of someone who had that surgery and all sorts of bad things happened". 

Once it happens (cross my fingers), and I lose a lot of weight, I'll just tell everyone that "I watched what I ate, and walked"!

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

Mary A.
on 2/10/12 1:20 am
On February 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM Pacific Time, TBIYTC wrote:
A husband that actually listens?!!!!!  Wow Brenda, he's definately a keeper!

I have told only a couple of people about me wanting surgery - I just don't want to hear"I heard of someone who had that surgery and all sorts of bad things happened". 

Once it happens (cross my fingers), and I lose a lot of weight, I'll just tell everyone that "I watched what I ate, and walked"!

or you can freak them out and tell them you had a huge gerbil type wheel constructed and you;re on that 23 hrs a day...LOL....sorry just sharing your humour

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Mary A.
on 2/10/12 1:18 am
your neighbours sounds just like my husband...your neighbour is PROBABLY on the smaller or average size, just like my husband and has NEVER struggled with their weight

in my (at the time) 21 years of marriage I gained 120lbs..my DH gained maybe 20 and he never has trouble dropping it.

while you can appreciate their comments their stories that they know someone who knows someone that had the surgery and gained it back or worse yet (had complicaitons) etc..
lets just face it, they are not helpful in anyway those people are wll meaning, but they have no clude what its like to have your thighs rub together in teh summer and have horrible rashes, to not be able to sit comfortably in a restauraunt booth or airplane seat..

they just have no clue

you sounds as htough you have done your research and your husband is VERY supportive...which is necessary.

my husband told me, the same thing as your friend, jus****ch what you eat and exercise more..yeah right....

My husband was supportive and other than the passing comment, he stood by me, helped me and after the first few months complimented me on how well I was doing and to keep up the good work.

You are doing this for yourself and NO ONE ELSE.

Smile politely and thank the neighbour for their opnions/concerns..and then just do what is best for you.

If she continues to nag you about it, just tell her that you don't wush to discuss the topic any further.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

aprilflowers
on 2/10/12 2:22 am - Canada
RNY on 01/06/12

I had several stupid comments from friends.

"But how are we gonna have fun drinking cottage weekends now?" {yeah, i'm going to commit to a life of obesity being unhappy and uncomfortable while at risk of developing serious health coniditions all for the sake of 3 weekends each summer of excessive drinking)

"You're going to have saggy skin" I'll take saggy skin over busting out of size 24 pants anyday.

"You're going to lose it all in your boobs" I'd rather have small boobs and a small stomach than a sagging gut and big boobs.

Most Active
Recent Topics