Question for any runners out there

babybuggie
on 3/27/12 12:25 pm - Canada
 Hi all.  Hope everybody is well.  So 110 pounds later and after about three months of almost daily two hour gym workouts I was feeling strong and ready to raise the bar so I decided to try running (in short bursts between walking to start).  My first attempt was awful as the excess skin that is now hanging off my abdomen bounced up and down with such force it was extremely uncomfortable and made me extremely self conscious.  I gave up and figured it just wasn't meant to be.

Thankfully I have some great friends who provide me with plenty of support and encouragement just when I need it and they suggested I try running with a girdle or support garment.  I let that thought resonate in me for a bit and then finally got up the courage to try.  The good news, it helped with the floppy tummy so much that I was able to run about 8 short stints over my hour long walk.  The bad news, it was very hot and the fabric didn't breathe well at all resulting in one slightly uncomfortable and seriously sweaty me.  Progress for sure!

Now that I found a partial solution and have been able to run this way on several different occasions I figured I would pop on here and ask the experts for advise.  Can anyone recommend a comfortable compression garment (aka sucker inner by me) that will reduce excess skin movement and decrease self consciousness  AND that will breathe better?  Somebody has to know of a product out there that will help.

highlandbear
on 3/27/12 10:04 pm - Canada

i run but I have no idea about a comression garment. I would recommand that you go to a running store and talk to them. They are always ready to answer questions and they would know if there was something out there. Good Luck

Monica M.
on 3/27/12 10:39 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

Running stores have stuff like that, that are breathable and sucky inny. Believe me, i know the problem well.

Also, if you wear actual running pants, they are pretty sucky inny on their own.

So proud of you for running!!!  I'm beginning to actually love it!

(and when i clicked on this post to answer you, i said to myself "oh yeah... i'm a runner allright!!!!" because I am, i'm no longer a wanna be!!!!)

Marny B.
on 3/27/12 11:11 pm, edited 3/27/12 11:13 pm - Canada
I agree with Monica. I have a lot of loose skin on my stomach as well. I wear running pants and look for those that have a particularly wide waist band. I find these type of pants really do a good job of holding things in. I bought several pairs in the athletic wear section at Mark's Work Warehouse which were very well prices. I bought the capri pants and wore them all winter long. I would also highly recommend Lululemon. I'm not sure what size you are now, but if you haven't shopped there already, don't be afraid of their small sounding sizes. I have worn their pants at all different sizes. They stretch well, even if they say size 12 or 14. :) I know they are a very big investment, however, to their credit, they really do work well at keeping everything in place. Also check out Sport Check as they have an excellent selection of workout wear, and surprisingly have some good sales now and again.

Anything that is synthetic will breathe well. Do not wear anything with cotton in it as it will just absorb and hold onto the sweat and keep it against your skin.

Good luck, and have fun in your running endeavors.

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

onehotmom
on 3/28/12 12:07 am
I bought running capis at Old Navy I forget the price but they do the job for me. and go at least a size smaller. to make the work for you. even if you don't like te looks of you in tight pants you could wear loose shorts over top.
I have enjoyed running and have done 1 5k race all runners do run walk intervalss when training. Run 2 min walk 4 min etc.
Good luck and don't be discouarged. IMO The best way to start is on your own. so you do not compare yourself to others.
A.    
Most Active
Recent Topics