some people!! (sort of long rant)

Karen W.
on 5/3/12 11:19 am - Canada
Good to see it's not just me that feels this way!

BTW, I agree that docs who run extremely late consistently are a problem and need to be better organized. It's very disrespectful... but still no excuse to be rude and disrespectful in return as this doesn't solve the problem.  The OBGYN example posted earlier is appalling and should be addressed.

I often wait up to an hour to see my GP.  However, I'm still grateful to have her.  We have a serious shortage of GP's in Ottawa, and many other places it seems, and lots of folks are stuck using walk-in clinics (where you can expect to wait at least a couple of hours every time). I have ongoing, consistent care from a medical team who I believe actually give a damn about me.  I'm very fortunate.

Honestly, it feels much better to focus on appreciation for what I have than to be unhappy about things not being the way I want them to be!

Thanks for listening to my rant.

RNY April 11, 2011       

cheeky_monkey
on 5/3/12 12:19 pm - Ottawa ON, Canada
yes...wait times can be rediculous....BUT....I don't have to walk 3 days to get to a hospital, and I won't receive a bill in the mail after I've seen a doctor.
Referral:  April 2011 <> OrientationOttawa July 15, 2011  <> Nurse:  April 16, 2012 <> Abdominal Ultrasound:  May 2, 2012 <> Behaviourist/Dietitian:  May 8, 2012 <> Education Class: July 11, 2012 <> Meet the Surgeon: July 31, 2012 <> Surgery Date: August 27, 2012

PaulaToronto
on 5/3/12 12:42 pm - Toronto, Canada
I have seen it too and depending on the situation I might say something to the person or commiserate with the staff.  This sense of entitlement is running rampant these days not only in doctor's offices. Not trying to be ageist but it seems to be very prevalent in those in their twenties and early thirties.  Did we give them too much when they were growing up? Just wondering where is stems from?

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Jonathin
on 5/4/12 1:12 am - Ottawa, Canada
"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?" - Plato

I don't think it has anything to do with age.  I've met some pretty rude seniors.  I think some people are just pathological or so self-absorbed, they feel their needs supercede others.  It's very alpha and while I won't personally ever understand why they act that way, I just accept there will always be people that are rude, disrespectful, impatient, greedy, arrogant and sometimes just downright nasty human beings.

I think it also takes a lot of personalities and disorders to compose the makeup of who we are. There are many who will sit and suffer in silence, who should be first, but aren't. And those who are overly vocal and haven't ever really suffered at all.  The entitlement and arrogance seems to mostly stem from that particular mindset. 

But if weren't surrounded by ******** what would we end up talking about? :)

OKNEE FE + 3
on 5/5/12 3:19 am
spitintheocean
on 5/7/12 1:41 am, edited 5/7/12 1:41 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 02/13/12
StevesGal
on 5/4/12 7:31 am - Hamilton, Canada
Behaviour is learned, and then allowed.  If people are rude, then they've always been so and have been allowed to be so by those around them.

Case in point;  My BIL was always late for everything.  When he should be somewhere, he was just getting out of the shower, etc.  When my husband turned 40, I had arranged for 2 different gatherings for him (one with his poker buddies, one with the family).  I invited his brother to both, because I knew he wouldn't make one of them.  Well, he didn't show, or call, for either one.  Nothing.  And this wasn't the first time he'd done this.  I was beyond fed up.  My husband said that's the way he's always been, and I said, "No.  That's the way your family has let him be."

The next time I saw him (a few days later), I ripped him a new one.  I told him it was disrespectful to not even call to let us know he wasn't coming - especially since he'd been invited twice and has a cell phone - and that it wasn't the first time he'd done this ... but it sure as hell will be the last.  I said that it would be a cold day in hell before I invited him back again if that's how he's going to treat us, and that his family may have put up with that behavior, but I wouldn't.  Sheepish doesn't begin to describe him.  And even his BFF who was with him said, "You've been told."

That was 11 yrs. ago and since then, he's never been late, or if he is going to be, he calls.  Lesson learned.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

thefrostedside
on 5/5/12 12:39 am - Canada
I find I deal with these entitlement issues on a daily basis, both from my clients and from staff in other departments (my department rocks but I think it's because we are so frustrated with everyone else that we have each other's backs lol...there's only 8 of us anyways).

I have repeatedly had people (usually younger to be honest) send claims to me for me to go out and see (I'm a field insurance adjuster) and they will have done absolutely nothing on the claim to date...haven't even called the insured to find out the details of the loss and if I say anything the response I get is "well...I knew I was going to send you a task so I figured you could do it for me" ummm no...I have a claim load over over 50 and the 10-20 tasks a week I get sent...I don't have time to do other people's work and they get so mad when they are told that they need to follow the procedures...like it shouldn't apply to them.

With my clients I find that people have trouble putting things in perspective.  People seem to think that every single thing that doesn't go their way is the end of the world. A perfect example was yesterday, I went out to a huge fire loss, the home was uninhabitable, it was a family of 5 and mom was pregnant.  Of course I made it priority to get out to them and get them a cheque so that we could get them set up in temporary housing and get some food for them and emergency clothes, etc.  I got back to the office to 6 voicemails from a different client demanding a call back because I had told her I would call her by Monday to tell her if we had approved the amount she requested to replace her Ipad that got damaged during a water loss and freaking out that she didn't know what was taking me so long...it was only Friday and she is definitely not my only client.

This sense of entitlement is going to be the downfall of our society...can you imagine how this people are going to act when they have kids and aren't the center of the universe anymore?
MisterDiminishing
on 5/6/12 7:29 pm - Windsor, Canada
It doesn't matter where you go, you'll run into entitled arseholes. Medical professionals in Canada probably deal with this moreso than others, as they usually have more patients than minutes in the day, and I suspect they have developed natural coping strategies for blowing off rude/impatient clients.

spitintheocean
on 5/7/12 1:54 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 02/13/12
Most Active
Recent Topics