Is there anyone on here who changed their mind or cancelled?

truckingbride
on 5/16/12 11:29 am - Harriston , Canada
If you have please private message me. Looking to chat about the same

highlandbear
on 5/16/12 11:52 am - Canada
 There has been people who have cancel just before going into the operation. I don't know if those people who did cancel stay on this site.
rmichelleb
on 5/16/12 12:00 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
I think a lot of people get "cold feet" as their dates get closer. Try making a list of all the pros of having surgery and then the cons.
I too was second doubting myself just before and the day or two after I wondered what I had gotten myself into, but it's been 3 weeks today and I am very happy that I did have the surgery.

Lorieliz
on 5/16/12 12:09 pm - Canada
Some days I change my mind 20 times.

Usually say "forget it" when I am already thinking about having just a leetle bit more, and I haven't even finished what I have

THen right back to "I need this"

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

stephanie2011
on 5/16/12 12:13 pm - toronto, Canada
my guess would be that anyone who has changed their mind probably is not following this board any longer but you may find those who changed their minds and then ended up having it at a later date (changed back again :) ) 
Hope you are able to find someone to discuss your thoughts with. 

Keep in mind, a lot of people have probably gone back and forth on this many times before ultimately deciding to go ahead with it.  I know I did.  It is normal.

take care,

Steph
Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/12 12:19 pm - Canada
I've only come across one person who backed out & she hasn't posted since letting us know that she backed out of surgery.

If you're having 2nd thoughts you can share that with us. I'm sure we've all had 2nd thoughts about the surgery.
nata
on 5/16/12 2:19 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Well, I did.
I canceled my RnY two weeks preop. Best decision I've done in my life. Bypass was a bad choice for me and I'm very happy that I changed my mind and got DS instead.

Backing off wls completely was not an option. NEVER EVER. Not with 500-700 units of insulin a day, severe sleep apnea and 6X shirts from Pennington being too tight.

It's a matter of motivation. For me it was a life and death question, at least that's how I saw it at the time. There were no arguments to beat it. If your health allows you to wait and see and try alternatives... you're facing completely different challenges that I did.

Good luck making the right decision for you.
Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Donnaslifepart2
on 5/16/12 9:54 pm - Canada
 I  had a friend who started the process before I did and backed out before I had my surgery.  She conti nued to be friends with me until I had my RNY and then she stopped returning my phonecalls.  It's too bad because the basis of our friendship was a shared hobby and I miss having her to share that hobby with.  I guess she just couldn't face me losing weight and feeling like it could have been her too.

Reidsmom
on 5/16/12 10:06 pm, edited 5/16/12 10:10 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 07/05/12
Around 8 months into the process, I spoke to the Drs at the WMC and told them I wanted to think about it more.  I went home and did more research.  Also, I wanted to see if I could lose it on my own.  I lingered on it for about two months. After investigating it and reviewing my personal journals, I realised this was really the only option for me.  

If you are unsure, I would say talk to your care providers.   Tell them not to cancel the process, but put your file on hold whilst you decide.  They will keep your file open for a year. They would rather have you take the time to consider it thoroughly, than jump in if your have doubts. 

This is not a simple diet plan, it is a life changing surgery.  I say don't make a snap decision.  Take all the time you need.
"We underestimate damage done to the sky when we allow words to slip away into the clouds."  –Viggo Mortensen  

Jan.  2011 -- Referral to W.M.C.                                     Jan. 2012 -- Meeting with Behaviourist
Apr.  2011 -- Initial meeting with Dr. Dent                      Jan. 2012 -- Psych. evaluation
Jun.  2011 -- Sleep apnea test                                       Mar. 2012 -- Follow-up with Dr. Dent
Jun.  2011 -- General orientation session                       Apr. 2012  -- Follow-up with Nutrionist
Jul.   2011 -- Psychiatrist                                                May 2012  -- Surgery class
Nov.  2011 -- Follow-up meeting with Dr. Dent               Jun  2012  -- Meeting with Surgeon             
Jan.  2012 -- Meeting with Nutrionist                             July  5, 12  -- Surgery 

truckingbride
on 5/17/12 3:57 am - Harriston , Canada
Thank you for your responses. I havnt decided about how to proceed, it isnt a case of cold feet. It is family stuff at the moment fogging my ability to stay modivated and be healthy.
Im with Guelph and I have some time to decided who how and what I am going to say and do that I can either tell the world to quit bugging me and get back on the wagon or decide that this maybe isnt the best time for me and I should wait until it wont be so distracting for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics