Optifast

sosweet74
on 6/23/12 1:48 pm - Tweed , Canada
 My partner wants to join me on opti fast does anyone have any extras if so please pm me

Cheri            
PatXYZ
on 6/23/12 2:03 pm
Oh god, don't let them do that. I mean, if they want to show solidarity, they can always use a protein shake (or something more palatable than optifast) for the meals you share together and eat real food during the rest of the day. I couldn't imagine letting my husband do optifast exclusively with me, especially as he is not over-weight and it would not be even half as many calories as he needs in a day. Keep in mind that it is a prescribed diet only intended to be used by people under medical supervision! In the longer term is your partner going to suddenly start eating only the foods you eat in the quanities you'll be eating them post-op? There is no reason they should as they aren't having bariatric surgery. Dealing with these differences is something couples have to deal with post-op.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/12 10:31 pm - Straford, Canada
what Pat said!  Just get him a protein powder high in protein and low or no carbs and let him make a smoothie from it, ice and water in a blender.  It will look virtually identical and he doesn't need a script for it!   
birdiegirl
on 6/23/12 10:39 pm

Well OK, I totally disagree...

Sosweet....my husband went on Optifast with me for support....plus he could stand to lose a few pounds and it got him jump started...

We were on OPTI together for 3 weeks prior to my surgery....

Three weeks of opti isnt going to hurt anyone....and he loved the stuff....

Today, he eats what I eat....I plan and cook all of our meals....he eats a little more then I do at 3 years post op....but I do NOT make separate meals for the two of us....we are both healthy

The support my husband showed me from the start was a big factor in my success.....he is my biggest booster....but also indicated the surgery was my decision that he would take me anyway he could get me...what a guy!

Your partner sounds like a gem

Barb

gidgetmolly
on 6/24/12 6:41 am - Canada
 I just got rid of my extras, thats too bad, I don't even live that far from you, anyway, don't get him protein shakes most of them are so gross, I would rather drink a vanilla optifast with a little decaf coffee in it than protein shakes... uggh.  However, I have been told I am an exception to the rule.  That being said, optifast is super expensive, maybe thats okay for you, but if not, maybe he can make healthy smoothies with yogurt and stuff, or if it is the suffering he wants to share (lol) go with the protein shakes, good luck
PatXYZ
on 6/24/12 12:25 pm
So what are you going to use for a protein shake post-op?
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics