Medical Alert Tattoo

Heidi S.
on 6/26/12 9:32 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 As I mentioned in previous postings I'm going to get a Medical Alert Tattoo because I'm allergic to the medals they make the bracelets out of and the ones I'm not allergic to are way too expensive. I search the internet as to what to put on it and this is what I found (see below). My question is do I put the Dr's actually office phone number or the Centers phone number? I'm going through TWH but getting surgery at TEGH. They also say to do it on a large size and very basic so it's noticable. I plan on adding the red alert symbol to it.

If you have had gastric bypass surgery or lap band surgery it is important to wear a medical ID bracelet to alert emergency technicians that you cannot have a blind NG tube inserted. Here is what we recommend for gastric bypass patients. 

Jane Doe
Gastric ByPass 1/12 (month and year of your surgery) 
No Blind NG Tube
No NSAIDS/ No Sugars
Dr. 555-555-1212

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Btrue2u
on 6/26/12 9:46 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
I am so glad you posted this.  I am aware we need to have the medical alert bracelets but wasn't sure what I was putting on it .....I was waiting for the sergeons appointment.  But I think you have answered my questions Thank you  Heidi Anything to get ahead of the game   

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

Heidi S.
on 6/26/12 10:12 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 Your wlcome Btrue .. glad my information could help you out

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Monica M.
on 6/26/12 10:48 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
just to put my 2 cents in. You don't NEED a medicalert bracelet.

NSAIDS, for instance, are not to be used regularly, but if you have NO NSAIDS on a medicalert braclet, that means they may not use them in an emergency situation, for instance, when you're having a stroke. That means you could die. Given the choice between having an ulcer and dying, i'll pick the ulcer.

Btrue2u
on 6/26/12 11:43 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
Good to know.  Much rather have the ulcer ....... 

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/12 10:08 am - Straford, Canada
 my medic alert braclet has the hotline number and a number of things they are not to do, no mention of doctor on it, that is for the medic alert hotline, as over the years that may/will change, so I'm not sure tatooing the doctor's name would be a great idea.  With medic alert you get to change your profile, for example, three weeks after my RNY I had my gallbladder out.  That is now reflected on my profile.  And, when I move back to the maritimes I will need to be listing new docs for contacts. But of course they don't do it for free.   Ian
Heidi S.
on 6/26/12 10:13 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 Thanks Ian I will look into medic alert to do their number on my tatto. Great idea I never thought of it.

SandpaperSandy
on 6/26/12 10:36 am, edited 6/26/12 10:41 am - Kitchener, Canada
just my opinion.....

research if you really need to have an ID bracelet of any sort.  Not everyone who has had surgery has an id bracelet.  not every centre recommends one. 

take a marker and write all that information on your body to see what the tattoo will look like,

that is a lot of information to be inked and may not even be necessary or life saving !!!

ask your clinic what would happen if you had sugar or nsaids.
the ng tube is plyable so it won't puncture through your stomach.

personally, I would rather EMT did what they had to to  save my life instead of being restricted by a tattoo or id bracelet - unless there is a real medical life threatening condition.

Heidi S.
on 6/26/12 10:46 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 I live in a small Northern Ontario town and they don't know much about WLS so I would rather have one to be safe

birdiegirl
on 6/26/12 10:51 am

I agree with Sandy here....I dont know any WLS post ops who have or wear the medic alert info they purchased pre surgery...

I think its one of those things you worry about in the early stages....trying to get yourself ready for surgery and ensuring you have all in order

Especially a tatoo....too permanent....the number may change.....and like Sandy said they may not look at it....after all, an emergency department would be searching for a bracelet/necklace with the info not a tatoo

When I was on blood thinners for DVT I thought of a medic alert tag....but instead wrote all the info on a card and put it in my windshield in the top corner....figuring that if unconscious it would talk for me...assuming anyone really even looked at it....but it made me feel better to know its there

Heidi I would sure wait on this....I cant imagine wearing the medic alert...let alone putting it in a tatoo....and only really worried about ensuring the info was available the first few months post surgery....and then I forgot the worry and got on with my life

You might want to think about purchasing a bracelet and keeping it in your purse....if it makes you feel better

Its good you are trying to think of everything ahead of time....but this is one I would wait on

Most Active
Recent Topics