Omg...if you love salad u have to try this

babybuggie
on 7/6/12 6:10 am - Canada
 Hey all...happy Friday.  Hope everybody has a fantastic weekend.  So our family bought into a veggie co-op this summer for the first time.  Every week we get fresh organic vegetables from a local farm in our area.  So far I am madly in love with it.  It's such a great treat every week to go pick up my veggies and not know what lovely healthy produce we will get for the week.  We also get a newsletter each week with recipe ideas, storage and preparation tips for our veggie treasures.  So this weeks basket had something I have never heard of before.  It's called purslane.  Our newsletter said that many people consider this a weed and spend all their time trying to get rid of it but in reality it is full of all kinds of wonderful nutritional benefits.  I washed some up well and cut off the roots, spun it in my salad spinner and added a bunch to my salad.  It was to die for.  It had the loveliest crunch and a very refreshing lemon flavor.  If anyone is able to find it at a farmers market or grocery store I would strongly recommend it!!  I love trying and discovering new things!

Vi-Vi
on 7/6/12 6:36 am
VSG on 12/13/12
 Wow, good for you.  That sure sounds like fun for the whole family and healthy too!  I will look for purslane for sure!  Have a great weekend.  
Btrue2u
on 7/6/12 7:10 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12

Sounds good ...wonder if the St . Lawrence market might have it

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

Nathalie_Can
on 7/6/12 7:55 am
Thanks for sharing....pronounced like:
Purse - lane?
Thanks

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

babybuggie
on 7/6/12 12:48 pm - Canada
 I'm actually not sure how it's properly pronounced.  
Blu-Diva
on 7/6/12 9:16 am - Hamilton, Canada
 Thanks, I'm on the hunt.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Gorgeous84
on 7/6/12 11:19 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 05/18/12
I am most interested in how you get connected with a vegetable farm co-op? Is it something advertised or did you approach someone? My husband loves to cook and we love local, and together we are enjoying my new gastric bypass food adventures! Thanks!
There are risks and costs to a program; but they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction. -JFK

Derek C.
on 7/6/12 12:10 pm - North Bay , Canada
We found it on Kijiji - during the winter - inquired and told them that since we both had WLS in the past year could we get 1/2 share instead of a full share - they agreed and away we go - They just got their laying hens as well so farm fresh eggs soon - the local farmers market here in north bay has two local meat suppliers on hand so were good to go . 

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

Derek C.
on 7/6/12 12:13 pm - North Bay , Canada
BTW my beautiful wife made us baby beet greens with kale last week from our basket - it was super fantastic .  this week my fave is the garlic sprigs . 

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

macrobug1
on 7/6/12 2:38 pm
What is the name of the co-op?  Do you have a #
Thanks
Most Active
Recent Topics