Underestimating emotional toll of my first stall (little long)

Toni B.
on 7/31/12 10:21 am - Sudbury, Ontario
RNY on 01/19/12
So...right off the bat, this is not me complaining... let's get that straight...

I have been fortunate enough to proceed through my WLS post-op for 6 months before experiencing my first stall, and I KNOW that is pretty awesome.

But I have to admit that I under estimated the emotional toll it would take on me. I figured Pshaw... Stall is no biggie, I will be totally rational when I experience my first one. NOT!

It's a whole different ball game when you are actually living it....

When you are SO emotionally invested in seeing the numbers drop on the scale each week, you may find yourself totally crushed when that suddenly stops... and then you discover that you have replaced that "food high" with a "scale high". You're like a junkie...and suddenly you can't get a fix.

IF, like me, you find yourself in this little snag when you are post-op.... don't despair. TRY to remember all the rational things you tell yourself about the stall...don't give in to old habits... be prepared to handle your first stall better than I just did.

Thankfully, I was able to turn this stall on it's head and make it an opportunity to learn from....I am now CELEBRATING the damn stall... because my body is reaching another milestone...it's adjusting to the changes I have been working so hard on.

For a couple giggles, you should read the first half of my most recent blog post... the sarcasm and description of my "mood" is really quite funny.

Happy Tuesday folks.

PS-Sorry this is so long... all I have are my "written" words these days, as I am trying to recover from Laryngitis... it really sucks not having a voice...not being able to talk... Now I know what an AVOX feels like (Hunger Games reference.)

Toni..."Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it"
 www.fatgirlchangingherworld.com Twitter:@fatgirlchanging
   Surgery JAN. 19th, 2012 Down 120 lbs & 75 inches @ my last Weigh in!!!!  
Fat Girl Changing her World

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/12 10:32 am - Straford, Canada
 well you could go back...  jk    Regards, Ian  
Blu-Diva
on 7/31/12 10:45 am - Hamilton, Canada
 Wow but so true when you are the one.
Keep you chin up and keep celebrating.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Lynette1962
on 7/31/12 12:38 pm - Whitby, Canada
It's always good when in a stall to celebrate the NSV........
Most of us do become scale junkie's but please trust me...the scale will begin moving again

Just a little suggestion - perhaps change up your food choices for the next few days ....maybe your body is getting used to what you are eating and needs a change in your intake. 

Btw...you are doing great 

I have reached my goal weight ..... and LOVE my RNY !!!!!!!!!

coppertop84
on 8/1/12 1:06 am - Canada
This is so true. Thank you for posting. I hit my first stall 2 weeks post op.... and then it lasted for 3 weeks. I cried DAILY!!!! I was convinced this surgery didn't work for me and I was only going to lose the 50 lbs or so I had lost and that was it. I was going to be fat forever. I remember calling the nurse at the clinic and crying to her that I was a failure. Nevermind the fact that I now fit into a pair of jeans I hadn't been able to squeeze my fat butt into for 3 yrs or that all my tops that were too tight were now too loose... I was losing mad inches, just not pounds. I remember the nurse telling me a) you're following the program exactly so this WILL work for you and b) trust the process.... This is a process. not a quick fix or the easy way out like so many people I know have decided to point out to me. That's my mantra now... trust the process... For me, the stall ended when I got back into the gym daily working out. As was pointed out maybe our bodies get too used to the routine and we need to change it up. So glad you were able to get through it. :) 

Most Active
Recent Topics