Insulin and Metformin post surgery question

Heidi S.
on 9/9/12 4:34 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 During my Opti diet I was totall off all diabetic meds after day 4. Now 11 days out od surgery I noticed yesterday and today my sugars ranged from 6 - 11. Has anyone else had that? If so were you put back on your insulin or met? I know I'm insulin resistant because of PCOS. 
Here in Sault Ste. Marie the doctors don't know about WLS. I do have an endocronolgist but I refuse to call him. He doesn't know a thing either abotu WLS. Not olny that TWH told me to get into see him before opti but he refused to see me. SO both now I know he won't see me and if he does he wouldn't know anything anyways.

Thanks,
Heidi

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

ShallowGirl
on 9/9/12 9:39 am, edited 9/9/12 9:39 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Insulin and metformin questions, IMO, should be answered by a doctor.

I am not diabetic but I go up post meals - when are you testing yourself? I'm sure it's at the "right" times since you're experienced at this.

6-11 is not the worst I've ever seen, but one would want it closer to 6 obviously.

I guess call the center.

~ Nurse in Ontario

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Heidi S.
on 9/9/12 4:52 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 Linda, I realise people on here are not Dr's and that I need to contact a professional but it is nice to hear if people actually experienced what I have. It puts my minds at ease. Is this not what the forum is for. For support

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

BluEyedCin
on 9/9/12 9:42 am, edited 9/9/12 9:46 am
I am on Metformin for PCOS. I am going to see my endocronolgist tomorrow. I am asking him about if I can stop taking it or not when I have the surgery.

ARE YOU FROM NORTHERN ONTARIO

IF SO EMAIL ME AT

[email protected]

SURGERY DEC 3 2012

Heidi S.
on 9/9/12 4:51 pm - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 Let me know how it goes

BluEyedCin
on 9/9/12 4:45 pm
avivaps
on 9/9/12 5:30 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
call your centre.  They really should be offering you guidance during this time of transition.  Things aren't always a smooth curve and sometimes you may need to go back on some of your meds (hopefully temporarily) before things settle down.  Best not to guess but call the folks who know.

Andrea.

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Laura H.
on 9/9/12 6:11 pm - Canada
 You need to contact your doctor.  However, my daughter is diabetic and I wonder if your healing has something to do with putting your sugar up.  I know when she gets sick, starts her period or has stress, her sugar sometimes goes through the roof.  But if you are concerned, I would still get advice from your doctor.  Take care.

Laura H.

Patm
on 9/10/12 6:35 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I am probably older than you. I stayed on metformin after the surgery and am still on 1/2 a tablet twice a day. I recently had my blood work done which as you know will gove you a long range look at your sugars. I am hoping at 8mths out I will now be able to go off it. However for healing I was happy to stay on it for a while. If you can't see the endocronologist see your gp for blod tests

kellybelly333
on 9/10/12 7:46 am - Toronto, Canada
I never went back on since surgery. I checked my sugars for a month, and didn't have anything bigger than 6. I'm now hypoglycemic, so I check them again when i'm feeling a low coming on. Fight for your answer!! Make sure you get that protein in first before carb. I'm sure you know that though lol

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics