Drinking with Meals...why do waitressing staff find it odd?

Mary A.
on 12/3/12 11:49 pm

Yet again yesterday I was asked when I sat down if I would like anything to drink...to which I replied no.

I still adhere to the no drinking 1/2 - 1 hour prior and after meals, even at 4 years post-op.

Then the lovely waitress brought me my meal..and asked me again if I wanted a glass of water..then she says

"sorry...I just find it so odd that you wouldn't want something to help wash down your lunch"

now I could have went into the whole WHY...I don't...but I didn't..I just simply said..no thank you

I was appreciative she was so attentive to my needs..but it still leaves me a bit bewildered why people think that (people) in general need something to "wash down their food".

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

jewel-twin
on 12/3/12 11:53 pm - Canada

because for the majority of people.... want a drink...its really not something they will see often that someone does not want a drink...

I think a lot of post ops ask for water and then just leave it untouched to the side. 

It is their job to make sure you have everything you need.... and most people...need a drink!  :)

Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

brenda65
on 12/4/12 12:05 am - Ottawa, Canada

I take the water but just don't drink it :)

January 14 2011- Orientation at WMC
July 4- Sugery

ToNewBeginnings
on 12/4/12 12:10 am

Having to reaffirm that "no, really I'm sure I really don't want anything to drink thank you" used to bug me somewhat as well.

Now when I'm asked I just say "sure why not- thank you" and smile inside, or give my husband a wink -it's easier.

NorthernStar
on 12/4/12 12:12 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I'm sure the server was just trying to do a good job and make sure you have what you need. Most people do drink with meals. I haven't been out to eat in a restaurant since surgery but when I'm at someone's house I always take a glass of water. You don't have to drink it, but just take it and it seems to make people happy!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Patm
on 12/4/12 12:23 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have had many incredulous waitresses want to give me something, anything to drink. I am at the point where I think I will do as others and just take the water offered.

Catw
on 12/4/12 12:33 am - Arnprior, Canada

Like everyone else says, most people do drink something with their meals.  I do like to have something on the table in case I need a tiny sip.  Most of the time that's all that's taken out of the glass is one or two tiny sips if my meal was hot, spicy or dry.

She is just wanting to make sure you are a satisfied customer.  If you go there regularly, she'll get to know you don't want a drink.

Cathy

Hanneli xoxo
on 12/4/12 1:06 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

the same thing happened to me, too! I was at Kelsey's and the waitress kept trying to convince me to order a drink or even a glass of water! I went into why with her..

dna
on 12/4/12 2:25 am - Canada

The best is when they realize you have only ate 1/4 of your meal and they want to know if something was wrong with it lol

That being said I take the water and if I absolutely need to I take a tiny sip. 

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

Patti K.
on 12/4/12 4:44 am - Kingston On, Canada

Mary, I'm with you...I'm 4 1/2 years out, and I never order a drink with my meal...I really think its just a social thing...if a waitress does bring me one, I just pass it over to my hubby...Patti K.

Most Active
Recent Topics