I just ate 6 sugar free chocolate chip cookies

slrm2m2
on 12/12/12 11:08 am - Canada

I'm binging!  Holy Crap   I flushed the rest of the cookies down the toilet.  Guess I can't handle them...even if they are sugar free.  Winter is killing me...the dark evenings and I can feel the carb cravings so strongly at night.  Please, dear lord, do not let me slide back into that nightmare hell of compulsive overeating.  This scares me silly.  

I'm still relatively okay re: my calorie goal for the day since I can eat alot of calories in mainteance without gaining weight (so far)...and I am still planning and tracking my meals and snacks...except for those cookies which suddenly ended up in my mouth!  I'm going to have to look at this behaviour more closely and make a plan to intervene and circumvent the underlying issues so the behaviour doesn't happen again.

I am a wls success and I will continue to be one.  I will learn from my mistakes.  I will practice self compassion while I also take responsibility for changing behaviours that don't support my success.  In the war against cookies, I SHALL WIN!

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

ShallowGirl
on 12/12/12 11:20 am, edited 12/12/12 11:22 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

You are underweight right?  And still losing below your ideal weight to under a healthy BMI?  That is the issue, not eating a handful of SF cookies when you are underweight.

6 SF chocolate chip cookies will not kill you.  Normies eat a VARIETY of foods, including "good" and "bad".

Stop throwing food down the toilet.  That, more than anything, screams food issues .  

There are always days we eat more or less.  

If portions are an issue, buy pre-portioned foods.  I do and although it is more expensive, I can enjoy the serving and that's it.  I don't trust myself to portion some foods out.  (Like chips).  If you can't trust yourself, don't buy them or have them in the house.

If you can accept your right to certain foods, you can also accept stopping.  This binge - throw away food cycle is not right.  

Eat - enjoy - stop.  

I think you may some help, but it is not the binging, it is the refusing to eat when you are underweight that is the problem.  Your body is probably hungry.  

Perfection is not an attainable goal, so stop trying.  Try to plan in some food pleasures, and work on eating guilt free.  Work on the 80-20 rule, or the 90-10 rule if you want to be an overachiever.

(hugs)

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

2mar
on 12/12/12 7:20 pm
RNY on 09/20/12

wonderful comment. I also know that I have to stay away from cookies and chips. And I love your rational in regards to 80-20 / 90-10 - just love it.

Did you ever try to "SAD" lamp. If you are having such a strong craving for carbs during these dark gloomy days - you might want to benefit from a seasonal affective disorder lamp.  30 min a day and you feel totally different.

Take care

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

ANewMe975
on 12/13/12 12:16 am
RNY on 01/15/13
On December 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM Pacific Time, ShallowGirl wrote:

You are underweight right?  And still losing below your ideal weight to under a healthy BMI?  That is the issue, not eating a handful of SF cookies when you are underweight.

6 SF chocolate chip cookies will not kill you.  Normies eat a VARIETY of foods, including "good" and "bad".

Stop throwing food down the toilet.  That, more than anything, screams food issues .  

There are always days we eat more or less.  

If portions are an issue, buy pre-portioned foods.  I do and although it is more expensive, I can enjoy the serving and that's it.  I don't trust myself to portion some foods out.  (Like chips).  If you can't trust yourself, don't buy them or have them in the house.

If you can accept your right to certain foods, you can also accept stopping.  This binge - throw away food cycle is not right.  

Eat - enjoy - stop.  

I think you may some help, but it is not the binging, it is the refusing to eat when you are underweight that is the problem.  Your body is probably hungry.  

Perfection is not an attainable goal, so stop trying.  Try to plan in some food pleasures, and work on eating guilt free.  Work on the 80-20 rule, or the 90-10 rule if you want to be an overachiever.

(hugs)

I'm at a loss... what is the 80-20 rule or 90-10 rule?

Referral: June 19th, 2012
Orientation Session: August 27th, 2012
Appt w/ Surgeon: September 21st, 2012
Appts w/ Dietitian (RD), Social Worker (SW), Nurse Clinician(NP): October 24th, 2012
Surgery: January 15th, 2013 with Dr. Sullivan

sam1am
on 12/14/12 9:57 am

80-20 rule is following the plan 80% of the time and 20% eating off plan (or 90% - 10%)

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

slrm2m2
on 12/12/12 11:35 am - Canada

Thanks for your reply, .shallowgirl.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

P_Floyd
on 12/12/12 2:30 pm - Canada

It's tough alright. Try to be occupied more in the evenings. Also not having cookies, even sf ones around helps during those weak moments. Personally I find I am strong at the store and weak at home. I crave stuff but I won't buy it during the day so it's not around at night. Give those hands something to do instead. Hobbies?

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

birdiegirl
on 12/12/12 7:29 pm

Yeah it happens....and it can happen with more frequency somewhere between year 2 and 3......

Actually - I think you were very smart to get rid of the cookies.....I cant keep things in the house.....and if I find myself purchasing and overeating a treat food....( for me....skinny cow frozen bars)....I stop buying them.....its my way of managing myself

I do allow myself treats on occasion.....its the occasion thats the issue for most of us.....

You have done so well....and you are active and doing all the right things......I went to Teavana and bought a few teas to try at night when I  want a snack....sometimes just having tea works....sometimes I have to go to bed early....sometimes I eat more then I want....but trying to balance it is the key in my opinion..

....we arent like other people.....we just try to eat like our naturally skinny friends....again, I think you absolutely did the right thing

Good luck

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/12 8:45 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

My only advice is not to beat yourself up. You are a success, you  are a success, you are a success. We all make mistakes make bad choices it is part of who we are. The trouble comes when we start stringing some days together of binging.  

zombiesugar
on 12/12/12 8:55 pm

I agree that getting rid of the cookies was a good idea too. You knew enough to stop yourself from eating the rest of them - either that night or later.

We all probably did a trash of our cupboards and fridges before surgery - I guess sometimes we need to do that along the way too!

Most Active
Recent Topics