carbs

JEANFISICO
on 3/8/13 12:14 am - Canada

I know we are to watch fat < 4% daily value and < 10 sugar, but are we also to count carbs, total or net,  on our labels and what is the max total/net we are allowed.. Thanks. My surgery is in 6 days and I'm cleaning cupboards and fridge out and stocking with foods for my new life.

Referral March 2012, Orientation October 2012, Dr Starr appt, Nov 15/12 Weight 310 lb, Gi series Nurse, dietician,SW Nov 29, Gastroscopy Dec 4,2nd Dr appt Dec 12, Dr Glazer and echocardiogram Feb 14, 2013, Optifast start Feb 21, pre-op February Feb 26, Surgery March 14, 2013

P_Floyd
on 3/8/13 1:29 am - Canada

Low carbs, high protein. 

Eat good carbs in the morning to give you the energy to burn through your physical activities and make sure you take B complex vitamins to help convert those carbs to energy. Increase the protein portion throughout the day to help muscle recover and provide energy for the long haul in the evening and over night. Don't add sugar to anything and have a good look at what you are eating that contains sugar. 

In reality you're totals change with your activity level. The higher the level of activity, the more fuel you need to make the energy to do it. Three healthy and proportionate meals, three healthy and proportionate snacks and make sure you get them on time every day. 

A good habit to get into is get rid of all the crap in the house. Buy a couple of days worth of food and shop for what is fresh at the market. Avoid processed food and cook your own meals fresh that day or the night before if you are a busy person. Portion is key and when that is combined with high activity level, you will become healthy and fit. 

Seems like a lot but when you break it down into the small jobs, it's not as big an effort as you might think it is now. 

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Patm
on 3/8/13 2:13 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

there is no amount that we are allowed. Many of us restrict the carbs because this is how we gained in the past. Also initially you will find that by the time you eat your protein you have little space left. It is like real estate. How do you want to fill the space. Lean proteins first then veg/fruit (some have carb count) then starch like rice or potatoes. For myself my carbs are cereal and crackers. Check out what are you eating/doing today. See what others are eating.

good luck

shrinkingeve
on 3/8/13 8:43 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 11/15/12

I do not eat rice, pasta or bread in the losing phase. I focus on lean protein and veggies, dairy etc. There is only so much time in the day and space in my pouch. I have to make what goes in count. I try to avoid all empty carbs and calories.

I run  The O.W.L.S. (Ottawa Weight Loss Surgery) Closet. We are a local clothing exchange and social group stemmed off of a couple of the local support boards on Facebook and also OH members for those having had or going to have WLSWe meet monthly for a large clothing exchange and potluck in the East end of Ottawa.

Feel free to contact me for details or add me on facebook: "Evie Katt"

nata
on 3/8/13 11:05 am - Ottawa, Canada

I saw different numbers here... I used to keep it under 25g a day for first 6 months, then under 50 for another year... Now it's approximately 100g daily. I go over this number occasionally and immediately start regaining a few pounds here and there.

What your nutritionist says?

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
PatXYZ
on 3/10/13 12:44 am

I wouldn't worry about fat. Fat makes you feel full and satisfied and is actually good for you, especially the omega fats sound in nuts, fish, avocados, etc. I don't limit fat in my diet at all as a DSer, but I also feed my husband this way and he has become leaner on account of it. I get over 100g of protein daily, I limited myself to 40ish grams of crabs daily while losing and now that I'm in maintenance a max of 100g of carbs per day (though I average more like 85g), and I do not even track my fat intake. I add olive oil and butter to virtually everything, use full fat dressings, full fat milk, cheese, etc. I never feel deprived and it gives my diet a lot more variation. It's working for me! I lost 100% of my excess weight in about 8 months.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics