Cymbalta and restless leg syndrome

solongtubby
on 4/24/13 10:14 pm

One of the outcomes of the sleep study that Dr. Glazer sent me on was that while I don't have sleep apnea, I do have restless leg syndrome.   He said that Cymbalta (60 mgs/day) may be the culprit behind that.   I had a really rough night on Sunday, my knees were killing me (I've had them both replaced so it was the areas around the knees, really).   I took it upon myself to stop taking the Cymbalta cold turkey on Monday morning.  I was okay Monday and Tuesday but yesterday and today.  Wow.  I felt dizzy, like I had high blood pressure, I was worried that I might be having a stroke...  I'm also a diabetic so I thought my blood sugar must be really high, I've been so emotional, so obtuse, so stupid.  Every negative emotion you can imagine.   Cymbalta is not for sissies.  I wish I'd known about these withdrawal symptoms before I started taking it.  I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow and he will likely want me to taper off this drug instead of going cold turkey but this is definitely not something I've ever experienced before.  On a positive note, I'm sleeping a little better and my legs don't ache as much.   I'm just throwing this out there, just in case anyone is wondering why I've been acting like such a twit the last couple of days.  My husband hasn't noticed any more than usual twittishness on my part but he usually isn't paying that much attention.   Just a heads up if anyone is considering taking Cymbalta.

Nora

RNY with Dr. Huynh June 5, 2013.

Patm
on 4/24/13 11:05 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I tried cymbalta at one time. I had trouble with feeling completely out of it. I just could not think straight. so went off it. I found I had mood swings when I stopped.  Sounds like the withdrawal is awful. Good luck

solongtubby
on 4/25/13 12:07 am

thanks for your reply.   This is such a good learning opportunity for me.  I just totally trusted my family doctor to take care of me without doing my own research.  I'm going to be much more vigilant with my own body in the future and that's a good thing. 

mermaidz
on 4/25/13 2:12 am - Brampton, Canada

your family dr did nothing wrong. YOU are the one who chose to come off the drug cold turkey.

You're an adult and as such be responsible and accountable for your own actions.. dont blame them on the dr

ffs

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

solongtubby
on 4/25/13 5:59 am
I totally agree. I'm not blaming my wonderful. Doctor. I didn't do my own due diligence. I know that nobody should be more concerned with my health than me.

Nora

Monica M.
on 4/25/13 12:56 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

you should really taper off the drug, rather than go cold turkey, and please advise yoru family doc that you're doing this!

When you're on a medication, its partly your responsibility to research the side effects, discontinuation protocol, etc. And you should never discontinue a prescription drug without your doctor's advice/guidance.

solongtubby
on 4/25/13 6:04 am
Hi Monica. It really is my responsibility. I'm finding that at the tender age of 58 that I still have a lot to learn.

Nora

Monica M.
on 4/25/13 7:26 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

oh gosh yes. I'm on cymbalta, and was on a different ssri before, and i know from experience that you should NEVER withdraw cold turkey. I get uncomfortable symptoms if i don't have my cymbalta by about 3 in the afternoon ( i usually take it in the morning)

best of luck 

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/13 9:45 am - Straford, Canada

so if we notice you posting wonky stuff after 3 should we be asking if you ave had your cymbalta today Mon?   I'm kidding, you know I love you!  

Monica M.
on 4/25/13 9:53 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
If only I could blame my wonkiness on that!!!! Lol. That's the least of my problems.

Most Active
Recent Topics