Opti Challenge No. 1

Darthmummy
on 6/20/13 3:41 am

You know, I start four weeks of Opti in five days.  Not that I’m counting.  But that very day, Wednesday, is the end of the year picnic for my son’s school.  Yay me.  Lots of nice people and burnt out kids.  Lots of food.

I knew I’d have challenges, but I didn’t think Day 1 would be one of the bigger ones.  So I’m polling all of you: 

(a) I go because it’s better to be out and about and among people to keep my mind busy, or

(b) I should skip it because I’ll be miserable enough by the end of the first day of Opti.

Monica9811
on 6/20/13 4:11 am - Peterborough, Canada

Are you allowed veggies thru your centre?  I would have a shake before I went and then take a bag of cucumbers/celery with me if you are allowed them.  Snack on them and enjoy the day.  If you aren't allowed to have anything it will be up to you.  It is mind over matter and you have 4 weeks of things that can "sabotage" your success-you are the one who is in control of whether or not this happens.  I personally quite enjoyed my opti and found it easy because I didn't have to think about food or make choices good or bad.  Good luck!

Michellevata
on 6/20/13 4:39 am - Canada
VSG on 05/22/13

I started my opti-fast 5 weeks ago for 2 weeks.  I had to have it for 2 weeks.  I bought equal amounts of vanilla and chocolate.  I used my bullet with both of these flavours.  I added about 6 ice cubes and water.  The air that was added to the Optifast actually made me feel like I was drinking a chocolate shake!  I couldnt stand the the vanilla!  I was very worried that I had a weeks worth of vanilla and I couldnt even drink 1/2 of it LOL.  I have a hard time with Aspartame (it gives me migranes) but I had to try something!  I bought some Crystal light (strawberry) and OMG it tasted like I was having a strawberry shake!  I only used 1/3 of the package for each shake!  It didnt need much for me.

My hospital told me I couldnt have anything else other than the Optifast (and of course water).  You know, for me I was completely satisfied with just the Optifast.  I think it boils down to a personal decision on whether or not you are going to allow your mind over what your body needs.  I ate (drank) my meals at 8 AM, Noon, 4:30 and 8:30.  I hope you go for your Son and for yourself!  This is a life changing surgery you are having and its milestones like these that will make you successful for the future.

For me the challenges were on Day 1 - away at a softball tournament staying in a hotel for the weekend LOL.  Try finding power at a softball diamond to run your blender LOL.  I found a way!  I know your strong enough to find your way through this too.  Look at the prize at the end of the road!

Orientation - Toronto Western June 27, 2012 ** Nurse and Social Worker on August 28, 2012 ** Nut Clinic on Oct 1, 2012 ** Psychologist Nov 5, 2012 ** Dietician Dec 6th, 2012 ** MEETING the Surgeon - Feb 1st, 2013 ** Surgery Date - May 22nd, 2013

Patm
on 6/20/13 4:54 am, edited 6/20/13 4:54 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I think you should go to the picnic. It is probably a highlight for your kids. It will not be easy but being active might be better. I am 15 mths out. Tonight I will be serving strawberry shortcake to people at our church. cake, fresh strawberries in sugar and hand whipped cream with icing sugar in it. I could eat it but I won't because it is not what I eat now. SO I will take something with me to distract myself.

Good luck with your choice

Nanato2
on 6/20/13 6:03 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I would go for your son day 1 is not the hardest day I found day 3 & 4 to be the hardest as your body is adjusting. Plus there is going to be many times over your journey when you are going to be put into a situation where there will be lots of food. 

I was on Opti for 3 weeks and during that time I had two birthday parties at my house with lots of food, went to restaurants and made dinner for my hubby and I never once cheated because I knew what my goal was and i was at the point where the surgery that was going to change my life was only a few weeks away and I was not going to do anything to mess it up.

So go and have a great day with your son and just imagine what next year will be like for you and your family.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

kristaeb
on 6/20/13 8:48 am

Yes, day 1 was fine for me. Day 3-4 were my hardest. I have 6 days left on my opti before surgery.. I think you should go..I find as long as i eat before my family its not hard for me.Everyone in my family is a normal weight so they all eat what ever they want..YAY ME.LOL...I just ate my broth with celery and green pepper while they had McDonalds , didnt bother me one bit .. Good luck to you Krista..broken heart

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Gma
on 6/20/13 6:57 am
I was on Opti for 3 weeks with lots of dinners out. My centre allows green veggies so I would just have my greens. Life is full of challenges and we have to face them head on. Running from them doesn't give us any strength at all. When you win that challenge, pat yourself on the back and go forward. I'm 1-1/2 weeks post op and feel WONDERFUL.
Lorieliz
on 6/20/13 7:13 am - Canada

Opti fills you up faster than you would think. I never managed to drink all four in any given day. Go to the picnic. Temptation is a part of life.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

mermaidz
on 6/20/13 9:04 am - Brampton, Canada

It's all in the tude.

You either let it suck from day 1

OR

suck it up and make it ROCK for you..

not like there arent 4000 ways to make the Opti taste half bad..Go check out the recipes forum.. tons of ideas on how to get it down without ...you know......devil

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

newpossibilities
on 6/20/13 9:49 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
Are you allowed broth and/or herbal tea? Have your opti just before owr at the picnic and take a travel mug of broth/tea and use it to sip on at the picnic. May help keep your mind off of the food and let you be around people and participating at your sons event.

I'm not at the opti stage yet but I think I would go if it were me.

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

Most Active
Recent Topics