Old Timers Seasoned Pros...what if anything do you struggle with?

Mary A.
on 6/21/13 12:26 am

Although this question is directed at individuals who have had their surgery 2, 3, 4+ years ago, the responses will probably benefit many.

Just curious those that are NOT new into this process, is there anything that you still struggle with or things that occur now and then that you have had to make a very conscious effort to avoid, reduce or eliminate?

What are your triggers in regards to food (if any)...how do you personally keep yourself in check to avoid back sliding.

Any and all responses are appreciated.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Diminishing Dawn
on 6/21/13 12:54 am, edited 6/21/13 7:26 am - Windsor, Canada

7 years out. It WILL absolutely come down to willpower again and good habits.

I struggle EVERY day with:
-the urge to binge
-all or nothing thinking
-emotional and/or boredom thinking/eating
-the slippery slope aka "moderation".
-my lazy bone

Triggers
-stress
-the want to socially eat at times
-boredom
-sugar and carbs trigger the want for MORE sugar and carbs

Accountability and support systems
-OH
-my long timers group
-my real life support group (go to yours!)
-myfitnesspal
-my fitbit

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Derek C.
on 6/21/13 1:05 am - North Bay , Canada

Ill be two years out in August , I have very minimal problems with any foods , high sugar is absolutely no problem for me , some high fats kinda still set me off .

I personally am experiencing the 2 yr gain that everyone talks about right now  - up approx 15 lbs from my lowest ,due to some personal issues in my life i have kinda forgot to take care of myself , and i really need to trigger myself back into WLS mode again (high protein, lots of water , exercise) again .  

I also find myself grazing again - picking here and there and everywhere when its available , something i know is not good for me , however i feel that once i can establish some short term goals from now until my 2 yr follow up at the end of august I can get back into the groove , we all have the skills , and the knowledge , just have to reapply them with the same vigor that we applied them right after surgery .

Anyone wanna join me on a short term goal chase - say July 2 - Aug 28th ,  back to basics - measuring , drinking water , being accountable to friends in the same situation .  Not looking to lose hundreds of pounds , just trying to regain control 

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

Mary A.
on 6/21/13 1:17 am

I guess I should answer my own question. 

My biggest struggle is NOT falling back into old habits...for example..I have coffee every morning...95% of the time I have protein in it, which is obviously not available at a Tim's...but on the occasion when I step out of habit..I end up at a Tims..and those donuts are always calling.  That's fine if it's one a month..but it is a struggle if I end up there every week.

I still have to make a concentrated effort to read labels...since this surgery I have been an avid label reader..but at time I find myself reaching for a new product and tossing it into the..only to find out later at home..it's not something I should even try!

I have to keep a close handle on my sugar intake..I always use Splenda, but recently while in Europe....I ran out...and it took me a bit to find their substitutes..which turned out to be Aspartame (YUCK)...so I opted for 1/2 aspartame 1/2 sugar for the last 3 days of our trip..when I got back home I quickly threw out any notion of using sugar.

I still try to wake up every morning and remember how I felt 5 years ago....I felt terrible..and that gives me the motivation to try to  "stick to the plan"

IT's not about how fast you lose the weight or even how much weight you have lost..it's about maintenance and the rest of your life.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

lexxiblue
on 6/21/13 5:02 am
RNY on 01/11/12

a year and a half out... and i "ditto" everything dawn said!!!  old habits try come back quicker than they left. struggle with... well anyone that has met me at a support group meeting will know the answer i'll give.. it's POOPING!! ... thanks to restoralax and recently a twisted bowel operation (with removal of 30cm of bowel)... i no longer take anything to help me poop!!! not sure if the operation had anything to do with it... altho i did stop taking restoralax on the advice of my clinic at my 1 year checkup and family doc (didn't want me to become dependent on it)... they were becoming regular.. not once in my whole presurgery journey, at any hospital meetings or support groups did i hear about any issues i would have with pooping! ... anyways..that's my 2 cents worth!

nata
on 6/22/13 11:40 am - Ottawa, Canada

almost five years out.

I hate illusion of "healthy eating". the old mantras of nutritionists about three meals and three snacks, balanced diet, healthy carbs... it doesn't work for me. Any carbs make me regain, so called "healthy" snacks make me regain, friggin fruit, oatmeal, soup and salad make me regain!. A bowl of cereal in the morning (on a regular basis) makes me regain.

At five years out my sleeve can accommodate A LOT of food. especially soft foods. It just doesn't work to eat tiny portions as we used to do early out. The stomach gets bigger, not sure it grows or stretches, but it does become much bigger with time! It is very real and when you are working now on your new good habits, take it into account. Early out we struggle to get these 90-100g of protein in (or whatever your requirement is) and munch on "good stuff" a lot. and early out it works well - the stomachs are tiny, so we don't overeat. but this "honeymoon" will be over soon, and if you develop a habit to graze something every hour, it's going to be the biggest downfall...

When my surgeon said "no snacks, I couldn't believe this man - his rules contradicted everything I "knew" about eating. Duh! he was SO RIGHT!!!

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics