What do you want to be?

Foy
on 8/12/13 12:00 am - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

I wanted to name this “what do you want to be when you grow up”, but it should be named “what do you want to be when you shrink”….

Did you think about the “new you” before surgery? Who you wanted to be; adventurer, athlete, explorer or nutritionist. What did you want to turn yourself into after losing the weight? And I don't mean lose who you are now, but what new roles did you take on.

For those post ops – did you have a plan and did you do it?

I know so many of us fat people live in the “what ifs”. What if I was thinner – I would travel more, get on those amusement park rides, hike in wilderness, do more with my kids, explore cities, run that 10k race and for some it might be walking without a cane or pain.

I have surgery at the end of this month and I have a plan and I am setting my goals. Some I am sure I will obtain quickly, others will take longer but they are not out of reach.

The goal is health, but I was always an athlete and a pretty good one. But I stopped, was sedentary and got fat. I could kick myself over and over for letting myself get to this point, but I can’t change the past, only work on the present.

I want to be that athlete again. I want to get up and run and bike and swim and race and play all the sports I haven’t because of the weight. That is what I want to be again – what about you?

Mandalious
on 8/12/13 12:09 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Oh this is my favorite topic!!

I love to travel, but Im usually too dang tired to walk to all the places I want to explore. That and the embarrassment of Airplane seats and seatbelt extenders.  I cant wait to fill up my passport book with stamps all over the world.

I also want to start to Row again. I rowed in college and it was amazing. I have been missing the feeling of being on the lake first thing in the morning. No noise, just the sounds of me moving thro the water. I cant wait to fit in that little seat again.

I also really want to enroll in some scuba lesson.  I want to scuba dive in a lot of the places I want to visit.

But the one I probably complete first is... A ROLLER COASTER!! I cant wait to fit on one again!! A day at wonderland, walking around and doing the ride.. so excited !!! Come one Summer 2014 and me being 150lbs light!!

Praying my surgery is in Dec 2013

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

mispysmom
on 8/12/13 1:01 am - elliot lake, Canada
My.hubby.and.ibhave planned.a surprise trip.with the.kids.for the comming.summer to canadas wonderland...they have never been, and i.havent.gone since i was 20...so 14.years ago!!! Im.totally lookong.forward to the roller.coasters.......ps this.trip us probly totally.for.me...but.the.dh.is.saying.the kids so i wont balk at spending all.tht money lmao!!

Amanda

Nanato2
on 8/12/13 12:14 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

For me I wanted to be able to move again because the last 4 - 5 years had been hell with swelling of my legs and feet not being able to walk for long periods of time without being exhausted and sweating buckets all the time. Last summer was the finally straw when I could not walk a block and I sat on my couch crying to my husband.  

This summer is totally different I am walking everywhere and riding my biking which I always loved to do.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Patm
on 8/12/13 12:15 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

My big goal was get off pills for diabetes and the two for high blood pressure, both done. I wanted to be able to walk more than a couple of blocks without extreme pain. Not to have to think if I go too far will I be able to get home. To be able to enjoy life again and not sit on the side lines.

I am happy to say that at 18mths I can now walk for kilometers at a time. I love biking for pleasure. My husband and I can now camp again.

So starting next week we will camp, bike, go for a walk in the trees at Scenic caves and zip line. The week after we are going to Niagara on the lake for a play and to go biking. That same week I have been talked into going to Wonderland to go on all the rides I used to watch my family do.

Like at 62 is great!

Robyn R.
on 8/12/13 12:50 am - Bowmanville, Canada

What a great question!  For me it is definitely a career change.  I know that my size has held me back in so many areas of my life and I want to live again.  Tired of a mundane existence.  I know that I can do so much more and help many others achieve their goals.  I am not who I used to be and I am so ready for the change.  I am so hoping that my surgery will before the end of 2013 so I can have a new life in 2014!

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

smallisland
on 8/12/13 1:38 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

For me...my goal is to get back to work part-time...and eventually full-time.  My daughter will be going off to college in a year or two and I will need to avoid the "empty nest" issue.  I want to walk without pain, bike and do more activities...like a lot have mentioned...the Canada's Wonderland trip 

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Hanneli xoxo
on 8/12/13 1:49 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

I just wanted to be healthy and off meds and now I am! Eventually, I also want to relocate to a different city. In the past it wasn't possible due to various body pains and general unhealthiness from being morbidly obese... now I just gotta wait for my son to finish highschool!

Lori_Lee
on 8/12/13 2:08 am - Canada

Awesome post!

There are so many things I have wanted to do but just didn't as I was too embarrassed of myself.  I am planning on attending a reunion next month - something I would have NEVER done it the past and have missed a few.  I am looking forward to people saying I'm pretty, not just you have a pretty face (ugh).  Another one, a biggie is not having to shop at a plus store or plus section... just passed into that goal now and am having a hard time getting my mind into the fact that my ass can fit into a 'normal 16'.  

Other things on my skinny bucket list - dance naked in the rain! lol 

Lori Lee

TWH Orientation - Oct 17, 2012   SW - Nov 19, 2012   Nurse - Dec 12, 2012  Group Nutrition Class - Jan 14, 2013  Psychologist Feb 12, 2013  Nutrition March 15, 2013 Surgeon - April 5th (Dr Penner) Surgery May 16th 

hibbyangel
on 8/12/13 5:28 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

On my skinny bucket list is to become a serious runner. I have ran for a number of years but because I was so exhausted after working or chasing the kids all day or in pain (knees or back)..I maybe ran 3 or 4 times a month. Before I had RNY..in fact before I knew I was even having the surgery, my sister and I signed up for the warrior dash in Barrie (its an obstacle 5 k race) It turns out that my surgery was 3 days before the race and I obviously couldn't run. I was totally disappointed. So needless to say I will complete that this coming July. 

My husband and I have a trip planed for Cuba in February..and I am sure many more after that. I would also like to skydive and para-sail and learn to paddle board. I am sure there will be many other things on my list before long..my journey has only just begun nearly 4 weeks ago...good luck with yours!

Most Active
Recent Topics