what a great "problem" to have !!!

anniechanging
on 9/23/13 3:11 am

I honestly cannot believe that I am in this place...  There are simply no words to articulate how thrilled and truly grateful I am for this surgery.  I thought that everyone else would have incrediblly successful weight loss surgery stories, but  not me.

I had my surgery last November, and not only reached my first weight goal, but have reached, and surpassed, four lower, revised weight goals.  And the weight loss seems to continue, albeit slowly. 

HW: 230, SW: 228, Original goal: 150, revised goal:138, revised goal: 128, revised goal:125, revised goal 120,  CW = 116  (I'm 5'3" so I'm within a healthy BMI range.)

I'm certainly eating more than months ago.  I mostly eat very healthy, and focus on the protein, and try to follow all of the RNY rules.  But unfortunately, I'm indulging in some of the "bad" foods that caused my obesity, including the occasional cookies, muffins, ice cream, etc.  This causes me huge guilt.  I'm continuing to lose weight, albeit slowly.  I presume that the villi in my intestines have not yet regenerated, and so some caloric malabsorbtion continues.

My concern is this... for each new and lower weight I reach, I think that I cannot possibly bear to gain weight, even though I'm below my various goals.  I'm thrilled and so thankful to have made it to this point.  The idea that I could have been happy and content at 150 is now preposterous to me.  Likely 138 or even 125.  I'm certainly not in an anorexic mindset (I simply would never have the discipline and control it takes to have an eating disorder, and I'm not wishing for that).  But I am paranoid about gaining any weight from where I am now, and yet I think it will be inevitable.  I've bought lots of new clothing in crazy/tiny sizes, and I don't want to grow out of them.  That would feel like failure.  But, surely this low weight is not sustainable (I think I last weighed 116 when I was in grade 5, for God's sakes!), once my body is fully healed and my body resumes it's normal absorbtion. 

I keep telling myself that there will have to be some "rebound" weight gain, but I really don't think I can deal with that reality.  And for those of you who may be wondering, no, I have not been exercising.  That is a huge problem, and I MUST get into a regular exercise routine now, before it's too late.

I'd be very interested in hearing about your stories, if you got below your weight goals, and then experienced a re-gain, and how you dealt with that - emotionally and mentally.  Thanks and take care.

Patm
on 9/23/13 3:22 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I can relate to what you are saying. At 5'6" I have reached 140 which is lower than I though possible for me. I too have nice new clothes. When I started to really panic over some uncontrollable eating I contacted my centre and did some CBT with the psychologist. It has given me some coping skills but I know I will have to be diligent to stay at this weight. So is that square or pice of cheesecake or chocolate worth having to give up my new clothes for? So far no but I know it will always be a concern. I am now 20 months out so I do not think I have the mal absorption now. I do exercise so that when I do give in to a treat I know I can work it off.

Good luck with your continued success

anniechanging
on 9/23/13 6:30 am

Thank you patm!  I appreciated hearing from you (you always provide great comments/feedback).  Congrats on doing the cognitive behavioural therapy, and dealing with the issues. 

tabno1
on 9/23/13 3:36 am - barrie, Canada

Congrats on your loss, I have not stories to share, but I was wondering how long it took you to get approved.  I have very similar starting stats to you and fear that this will prolong my wait time?  Also, what was you initial weight loss like? Did you have any co-morbedies, (I have diabeties that I would like to resolve!)

Thanks

anniechanging
on 9/23/13 6:35 am

Hi,  My family doctor referred me in April, 2012; I went for my first info session in July, 2012, and my surgery was in NovemberI/12.  I only lost 7 lbs during my 2 week optifast diet (and I stuck to it religiously!).  That was disappointing.  I lost 10 lbs in the week following surgery.  After that I averaged about 4 lbs a week for a while, then it tapered to 3.5, then 3, then 2, and sometimes I'd have spikes of increased weight loss.  The longest period I went without losing was 10 days, so I was very fortunate that I never hit the dreaded stalls or plateaus.  I did not have any physical co-morbidities (other than knees that were killing me), and that issue has been resolved with my weight loss.  the deep, dark depression and negative self-talk which was constant when I was obsese has definitely improved.  Good luck to you.

nmcgreen
on 9/23/13 5:34 am - Canada

Great place to be! Don't live in fear, live in joy!

November 27th Referral sent. January Group orientation. April 10th Nurse . May 21st Nutrition and Behavior. May 24 Ultrasound. June 26th Group. July 16 Surgeon Surgery August 22

smarkone
on 9/23/13 11:34 am

WOW!!  You just inspired me, nice story it gives me hope that i can do this as well. Im also 5'3" and HW was 232, I haven't had any stalls, the weight  loss has slowed down but still coming off, my goal is 150 so I hope I will surpass that too.

Thanks for posting!

Referral sent Sept. 2011, Orientation Oct. 2012, 1st appt. with Surgeon Nov. 2012, Nut, Nurse and SW Nov. 2012, Dr. Glazer Jan 2013, Stress test, echo Feb 2013, 2nd appt with Surgeon March 2013, PATTS April 23, 2012  surgery May 8, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics