holy headache!!

mispysmom
on 9/25/13 1:20 am - elliot lake, Canada
Omg! I.started opti yesterday...and developed the worst headache.....still here today....why is.tht? Anyone.else suffer from tht?? I.cut out.cafeine and pop 2 months ago to.avoid the brain pain lol.....hope this is just an initial symptom and does not last all month!!!

6 down 106 drinks to go!!!

Amanda

sheryl69
on 9/25/13 1:31 am
I had the worst headaches for the first two or three days then I was fine. Not sure why it happens buts it's pretty common. Sorry you feel bad

it took awile and there were bumps on the road but i had my rny performed by dr jules foute nelong at guelph general hospital on september 16, 2013  

Gabygee
on 9/25/13 1:37 am - Canada

Very common.

Linked to two things - first the "flushing" of fat in your body that Opti is supposed to do, and

second the change in your hormones that Opti induces.

This would be similar to the headaches many of us get when we're either ovulating or premenstrual - or in my case postmenopausal.

They go away after about 2 days - usually on the third day.

Gabygee
on 9/25/13 1:39 am - Canada

Sorry - forgot to add -

you'll also experience either the "Opti-trots" or the "Opti-cork", as the fat gets flushed out of your system, it only has one way to go.

Your pee will smell funny and you may experience heightened sense of smell as well.

mispysmom
on 9/25/13 1:55 am - elliot lake, Canada
I feel like im peeing all the.time!!! Lol

Amanda

Katie M.
on 9/25/13 2:00 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13
That's good, you are getting rid of water weight! Just make sure to drink a lot of water between shakes so you don't get dehydrated as that will contribute to the headache. I am on day 3 and the headache is about half of what it was day 1/2 - so it does get better! And I'm down 7 pounds from Monday (all water I've been carrying around for ages I bet) so if you can hang in there it will be
worth it!!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Pawsitive_One
on 9/25/13 1:58 am
RNY on 07/02/13

Are you keeping hydrated mispysmom?   Keep water within reach in between your opti meals and remember to sip not gulp.  This way you'll stay hydrated and you'll also get yourself into the habit of "sipping" liquids instead of gulping.  You won't be able to "gulp" anything after surgery - your new pouch WILL let you know this .     Also keep in mind that your body is adjusting to having a lower caloric intake of Optifast.  Hope the headache passes soon!

1greeneyedgirl
on 9/25/13 2:43 am - Barrie, Ontario, Canada

I also had a bad headache my first day of Opti, had given up coffee and had to go for my PATTS also that day.  The next day I felt ,much better and it jut got better from there.  Hope the same will happen for you, it's a big adjustment for us and our body has to adjust.  It will get better for sure.

Cathy xo

Orientation: Feb 2013, Surgeon, Nurse, Dietician: June 2013, Dr. Glazier: April 2013, Surgeon: Dr. John Hagen, June 2013, PATTS: August 2013, Optifast: August 2013, Surgery: HRRH Sept. 5, 2013

hockeydad2013
on 9/25/13 3:59 am - Canada

I started Friday and had a Migrane on Saturday up until supper on Sunday. I took Tylenol and didnt really help but it might be worth a try. PS I almost never get headaches

KerryF.
on 9/25/13 4:20 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

yup woke up with a headache... weak, dizzy and opti trotts :(  had a cup of ready made beef broth and it helped at the time..... now the headache is back

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach