Waiting

jolemalamb
on 10/16/13 3:05 am - Sutton West, Canada

Hi there!

I am waiting for my surgery. I have one more appointment with the social worker, and then I am hoping to book my appointment with the surgeon and get my surgery date booked.

• How long did you have to wait to have surgery after seeing the surgeon?
  • How many weeks were you on Opti Fast?
  • Was anyone unable to have the surgery performed, after drinking the Opti Fast?

Its been a long process (almost a year now) and I feel I am more than ready for it.

Nathalie_Can
on 10/16/13 3:28 am

If I remember correctly, I had my surgeon meeting in June (?!?) and he gave me my date there of September, some call after the appt, depends on the surgeon!

Not sure if you know how the weeks work with Opti but depending on weight - I was over 400 so 4 weeks, over 300 its normally 3 weeks and so on.

Never heard of anyone not having surgery after Opti, UNLESS, the surgeon had to cancel and rebook.  I've seen that happen to a few.

Congrats on your journey and wish you the best!

Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Catw
on 10/16/13 3:29 am - Arnprior, Canada

It would be easier to answer your questions if we knew what centre you are going through.  Each one has a different process.  Such as for Ottawa, the surgeons get together the first week of the month, to schedule the next month's surgeries.  I'm not sure what the other areas do.

As for Optifast, it depends on how much you have to lose and your surgeon.  Some have 2 weeks, some have 3 weeks some have more.

There are several reasons why you may not have surgery, If something happens with your health, your surgery may be delayed.  You can also be canceled due to an emergency surgery.  While these are not common experiences, it can happen.

Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/13 3:48 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I'll answer the question of Was anyone unable to have the surgery performed, after drinking Optifast?

The answer is yes.  I know of 2 people that both did Optifast for many weeks as they were very obese.  Both were opened and closed back up again.  Their livers were still far too fatty to make surgery safe.  Both ended up having to go back on Optifast for a longer period of time and reschedule surgery.  It's not the norm by any means but it has happened.

jolemalamb
on 10/16/13 4:04 am - Sutton West, Canada

Thanks for replying :)

I am with the Humber River Hospital. I am currently over 300, so I guess I will have at least 3 weeks of Opti Fast.

daisies109
on 10/16/13 6:17 am
I'm also with humber river. I had my surgeon appointment the first week of October, bought optifast that day and have surgery booked for November 15

Daisies

Most Active
Recent Topics