Pains in stomach Help..

the44plan
on 10/24/13 11:21 pm - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12

Ive had a bad cold and coughing for a few days.  Yesterday at 4am I woke with intense pain in my pouch.  Sharp stabbing constant pain, sometimes gets worse in waves.. i can feel it right into my back.  I did try to vomit a couple of times, but of course nothing cause I havent ate anything.   I went to my local hospital.. they took ultrasound of gall badder, stomach, and pancreas, but say everything is good.   They said it could be a virus...  I cant believe a virus wouuld be this painfull..  I cant hardly stand up straight, almost in tears.. 

Just looking to see if anyone else has experienced a flu that was this painful..??    I cant keep going on like this..  :((

Referral: Oct 2011   Surgery Date: HRRH July 13th (Friday) 2012        
Tammie

the44plan
on 10/24/13 11:23 pm - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12

Oh, yes i called my surgeons office yesterday.. didnt call me back.. I left another message this morning.   Its 2.5 hrs to his hopsital and not sure if I should start now to go..

Tammie

Patm
on 10/24/13 11:44 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Only you know how bad it is. I would suggest going to a hospital that knows more about gastric by pass. The other hospitals do not have the knowledge of your new insides.

Mary A.
on 10/25/13 12:07 am

I was in the local emerg last week with a different type of pain..that has gotten more intense as time goes on (for the last year)..the first thing the ER doctor asked me was "does the pain radiate" to your back...my does not.

I am not a fear monger...but now I have had two ultrasounds in the past 3 months...all of my "results came back fine like yours....I have  a few small gallstones...but I had those prior to surgery.  The virus you are talking about could be a multitude of things and because I don't want to throw you into any panic...I would suggest that you further investigate this and possible ask for a scope or a CT scan....

at the Emerg they offer their opinion and order the REQUIRED tests, based on the symptoms you present at the time of intake

..he gave me pills that I am to take for the next month which (the info from the pharmacy) states reduces stomach acid.....I have a good suspicion acid is not my issue and will be going to my bariatric doctor...for a follow-up and hopefully further investigation.

I am sorry to say although Emerg doctors at times are somewhat knowledgeable about bariatric surgery..they MOST LIKELY have taken NO courses or had ANY education in exactly what is done in RNY etc..and what the complicaitons or issues can be

If it doesn't subside in a week or so after you were seen in the ER..go back or make other arrangements to be seen again.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Catw
on 10/25/13 2:19 am - Arnprior, Canada

The pain could be anything,call your clinic.  One thing it could be is that you have a hernia (or more).  If you are coughing, you could have tore it open a bit.  (It's amazing what a little cough can do).  I found out about one of mine after a workout (and could even pin point which exercise did it) and it hurt like h*&&.  It took a week for the pain to go away, but I needed a CT scan to have it diagnosed.  Your clinic will be able to help you get to the bottom of what it really is.  Ultrasounds won't find hernias.

Cathy

the44plan
on 10/25/13 8:27 am - Lake Huron
RNY on 07/13/12

well, it was another long day in ER at my local hospital.. gave me pain meds, and didnt conclude anything. :( 

luckily my surgeon finally called me, suggested I take the ride to toronto (2.5hrs) because it sounds like i have a hernia!!  oh geez..  sure hope they have the CT dept open when I get there ? 

thanks for your help and suggestions ..

Tammie

smallisland
on 10/25/13 2:08 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Most Active
Recent Topics