Liquid Diet - cold soup?

Emjaye
on 11/9/13 6:37 am - Canada

Hi all,

I am 5 days post op and so far so good - taking lots of time to sip my liquids - and as most have said, it takes a lot of time during the day to eat all the food at the recommended slow, slow pace.

So, my question is, how do you keep your 1/4 cup strained cream of mushroom soup, with 1/4 cup milk and 1 tbsp protein powder added, warm over the hour that it takes to eat 2 tbsp in 15 minutes?

Anybody have any suggestions?  Can you microwave it once the protein powder has been added?  I tried adding protein powder to very hot broth out of the microwave, and it curdled up instantly, so I figure protein powder and heat do not mix.

Any other tips or tricks for the liquid diet would be appreciated!

Orientation Jan 2/13, Social Worker Feb 27, Nurse Practitioner Apr 29, Nutrition Class May 28, Dietician Jun 18, Psychologist Jul 9, Surgeon Aug 2, Opti starts Oct 14, Pre-Admission Oct 16,  Surgery: Nov 4/13

Nerak
on 11/9/13 6:41 am - Canada

I don't know how people do it - perhaps keep it in a thermos? I am three weeks out and since the beginning have not had to sip liquids that slowly. I think the times are guidelines but really 2tbsp of soup in 15 minutes is like a drop a minute? I would just drink it faster. 

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

Hennagirliegirl
on 11/9/13 7:15 am - Canada

I agree, you have to listen to your body. My 1/4 or 1/3 cup of soup does not take that long,,,it's liquid, but when I add protein powder to it I eat much less and it fills me right up. Common sense is the key.

Hennagirliegirl
on 11/9/13 7:19 am - Canada

I have been adding the protein to the soup when it's cold,stirring the crap out of it, then heating a bit, stirring, heat a bit, stir.....It gets very thick and is very filling.

Also I am able to get lots of protein in by drinking premier shakes (costco, prepacked 30gms protein per pkg) because the consistency is thin, like water.

I love the cottage cheese, plain yogurt, soup and the odd bit of apple sauce.

My issue until today has been plain old water....but I find the taste yukky - strange because I loved the taste preop. I'm on my 2nd 500ml bottle today though. I drink it at room temp

Good luck with this phase! We're on the same path

Terri

G_mama_d
on 11/9/13 7:47 pm - North Bay, Canada
I remember reading on one of the many posts that someone bought a bowl at a children store that you will with ho****er thus keeping the contents of the bowl warm longer. Maybe at baby r us? We dont have one in north bay or i would go look.

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

smallisland
on 11/10/13 12:51 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

My clinic recommends adding 2 tbsp of skim milk powder to make the soup higher in protein.  I find I am able to do 1/2 c in 30 to 45 min.  Hope this helps.

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Most Active
Recent Topics