I shopped at the Gap!

DeidreB
on 11/17/13 5:25 am

Earlier this week after 3 weeks and losing only 2 lbs I stopped into the Gap at Bay and Bloor.  I had been buying XL at Value Village and have a L winter coat that I inhale to zip up - so I thought I'd see what would happen.  I've never bought anything at Gap - when they appeared in Ontario, I was already too fat.

I browsed a bit and took 3 tops into the change room.  As soon as I closed the door, I thought they must think that I'm ridiculous as I'm probably too big for anything in here, I had to stop myself from peeking out and asking the staffwoman if she thought I would actually fit into anything in the store.

I tried on an XL sweater that was too big and a L sweater that fit fine and was a great colour and while I thought it looked awesome, it had a drop shoulder that really isn't the best cut for me.  I settled on a long sleeved, long torso workout top with a hood and the sleeves that go up to your knuckles that you can put your thumbs in - never had one of those, never needed it - I was never cold.  I love this shirt, it'll be great for pilates and running as it gets colder.

Yesterday I went into the Bay and tried on nothing/bought nothing.  Just looked and fingered dozens of dresses in all the sections in sizes 2-16 - I'm a 16 now.  It was mesmerizing, overwhelming, fabulous.  

Earlier in the day, I stopped at cyclepath to put air in my bike tires and asked them to show me a better commuter bike - mine is feeling really heavy.  I test rode a lighter model where my position will shift from completely upright to more aerodynamic which was fantastic - so fast, more muscles working.  Then I asked what kind of bike I would need should I decide to do an ironman (what better way to celebrate being 50 in 4 years).  I then took a racing bike out for a test ride.  Holy Mother!  It was so fast.  I was high as a kite and couldn't stop smiling.  The guy helping me has 4 bikes.  I am going to buy both of those bikes in the next year and I am going to do some long distance road riding and racing.

Getting back on my bike to go home was not the same.  It felt like a touring bike.  Something that was great for my bigger body 78 lbs ago but no longer. This surgery is such a wonderful and precious gift!

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/13 5:48 am

Oh Deirdre how liberating it must feel to be able to go where the wind blows ... and shop anywhere!  congratulations woman!! :)

Caroline K.
on 11/17/13 5:49 am

That's all wonderful news! Congratulations!

kayakgirl
on 11/17/13 5:52 am - Canada

The bike shopping sounds sooo exciting!!!!

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

G_mama_d
on 11/17/13 6:15 am - North Bay, Canada

Wonderful accomplishments, congrats, the hard work is paying off.

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

LilyBugsMommy
on 11/17/13 6:40 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Congrats on everything! Funny thing, I was shopping at Value Village just last night & picked up a size large, sweater dress from the Gap! My first Gap item ever too, lol!!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Zizzler
on 11/17/13 6:43 am

yay!!!  Biking is so awesome :0)

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Sunny123
on 11/17/13 6:47 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Wonderful story, keep them coming! Congratulations!!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

kristaeb
on 11/17/13 6:51 am

Wonderful post, thank-you..And congrats ,you are doing great..broken heart...Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

4-Jane
on 11/17/13 7:22 am - Canada

Wonderful post and I hope you have both new bikes, it's amazing what 80 pounds less can afford you, I'm not there yet but wow..... Congrats

Respectfully Jane
Most Active
Recent Topics