help! lumpy protein powder

daisies109
on 11/22/13 12:04 am
Hello all.I have a question about adding protein powder two meals. I am 1 week post op and on the full fluids stage. I'm enjoying hot beverages and creamed soup the most, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to add protein powder to it as it goes lumpy. I don't mind adding it to yogurt, pudding, cottage cheese but taking in such little amount makes it really hard 2 only add protein powder to these items. I would like to add it to my soups, but I cannot stand the lumps. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Daisies

Caroline K.
on 11/22/13 12:23 am

From what I've read in the main RNY forum, the protein powder is curdling from the heat. The suggestion I've seen is to mix it first with some lukewarm liquid to form a paste, and then add it to the hot liquid.

(deactivated member)
on 11/22/13 12:48 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I heated up my soup then let it cool down in the bowl for about 5 minutes then added the powder in slowly.  If it is too hot, it will cook the powder and make it hard and lumpy.  You just have to find the right temp.  I would add to one bowl instead of the whole pot as then if I ruined one bowl, I had more to play with.

reenie33
on 11/22/13 1:08 am

I had the same issue with the clumping and curdling, disgusting. I switched to skim milk powder, not as high in protein, but still a good alternative

jolemalamb
on 11/22/13 2:43 am - Sutton West, Canada

What Caroline said makes sense. Mix it with some water first to make a paste, then add it. Just like if you were adding some flour to a stew to thicken it :)

Most Active
Recent Topics