What vitamins do you take

franky13
on 12/2/13 1:05 am

What brand and does of multi-vits do you take...just wondering if I can stop buying chewables....? 

I currently take Bariatric adv. chewables....just wondering what others are taking?

Referred September 2012, HHRH Orientation December 2012, Meet with surgeon January 2013, Meet with and testing with Dr Glazer May 2013, PATTS July 4, 2013 - 325lbs, Surgery HRRH August 1st, 2013 - 299lbs, second surgery late August 2nd to drain fluid, Discharged August 5th - 294lbs, reached 1/2 way to goal at 16 wks, MOM of three kids, married for 13 years :)

Caroline K.
on 12/2/13 1:07 am

If you search the main RNY board, you will see quite a few posts on this topic. It looks like a reasonable number of people take non-chewable vitamins, some even shortly after surgery. Look for poet_kelly, she has lots of good information about vitamins. I'm pre-op, so I'm not involved yet ;)

mispysmom
on 12/2/13 2:15 am - elliot lake, Canada
I take centrum for over 50 and.calium.citrate, both in.pills form, i.just stopped crushing them this week thank.goodness lol they were nasty lmao! I take a gel cap for the vitemin d...and a chewable.for the b12...i am gping.tp try the.bariatric advantage when i am finished these ones

Amanda

dragongirl_76
on 12/2/13 4:24 am

i take Materna, pre-natal multivitamin and this was approved by my health care team.

i do have to cut it into quarters tho because they are huge!

Also, liquid calcium citrate. Vitamin D in liquid gel format and iron pills.

Needanewbeginning
on 12/2/13 1:44 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I take the Costco, Kirkland prenatal vits. Cheap and they have everything we need, highly recommended by my centre and nut. 

Tons of options, but honestly, the bariactric advantage brands are expensive so I have not tried them.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Mary A.
on 12/3/13 1:53 am

In my humble opinion you are providing your body with one of the BEST Bariatric vitamins on the market..formulated SPECIFICALLY for Bariatric patients, I personally wouldn't want to be taking a vitamin formulated for pregnant women or the run of the mill (Multi vitamin).

I have taken Bariatric Advantage for almost 4.5 years and I have found it suits my needs very well.  I also take an additional Iron, Vitamin - D (because of where I live) and the calcium citrate.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

dragongirl_76
on 12/3/13 3:39 am
On December 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM Pacific Time, Mary A. wrote:

In my humble opinion you are providing your body with one of the BEST Bariatric vitamins on the market..formulated SPECIFICALLY for Bariatric patients, I personally wouldn't want to be taking a vitamin formulated for pregnant women or the run of the mill (Multi vitamin).

I have taken Bariatric Advantage for almost 4.5 years and I have found it suits my needs very well.  I also take an additional Iron, Vitamin - D (because of where I live) and the calcium citrate.

Bariatric Advantage is a brand name, just like any other. They just want to market to the bariatic population. Im sure it has the same formulations as most other multi-vitamins.

My Centre would not recommend a pre-natal vit if it wasn't suited to our needs.

Mary A.
on 12/3/13 4:01 am

Bariatric Advantage is a formulated multi vitamin, yes it is a brand name, but it is also a company that ,.that has spent money and time researching what is the best formulation for a bariatric patient. They focus only on bariatric vitamins/supplements and continue to invest money in research  they concentrate on all areas of bariatric surgery

While I am sure that your bariatric clinic provides you with the best recommendations that they know of..all I am saying is that I am going to remain taking a vitamin formulated for a bariatric patient and not a pregnant woman or something that is for everybody.

I am almost 5 years post-op and have had the pleasure of talking with a chemist in great detail about bariatric vitamins and those that you speak of...and lets just say, because I can't repeat verbatim, what he has told me...I will stick with mine, knowing that I have made the best choice (for me).

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

dragongirl_76
on 12/3/13 4:17 am
On December 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM Pacific Time, Mary A. wrote:

Bariatric Advantage is a formulated multi vitamin, yes it is a brand name, but it is also a company that ,.that has spent money and time researching what is the best formulation for a bariatric patient. They focus only on bariatric vitamins/supplements and continue to invest money in research  they concentrate on all areas of bariatric surgery

While I am sure that your bariatric clinic provides you with the best recommendations that they know of..all I am saying is that I am going to remain taking a vitamin formulated for a bariatric patient and not a pregnant woman or something that is for everybody.

I am almost 5 years post-op and have had the pleasure of talking with a chemist in great detail about bariatric vitamins and those that you speak of...and lets just say, because I can't repeat verbatim, what he has told me...I will stick with mine, knowing that I have made the best choice (for me).

i'd be really curious to know what the chemist said about other multi's. Can you paraphrase?

Have you yourself compared the contents of B.A to others? What are the differences?

Most Active
Recent Topics