How to determine if you are a dumper?

daisies109
on 12/7/13 11:17 am

Hello all, I am 3 weeks post op, and for the most part have been tolerating both fluids and food well. I'm still no where near getting in all 6 meals as I feel so thirsty and tend to focus on fluids. I do try to ensure that I have attempted food at the minimum for 2 of my meals. I am focusing on protein, and have been adding protein powder to my instant decaf coffee, flavored water, soup, etc. to ensure that I get all my protein in. The other day, I attempted to take a quarter of a senokot tab, only to reject it about 10 mins later. I am just sooooo sick of the sour taste of crushed pills and it is adding to my lacking desire to eat food. So tonight, in an attempt to add in some more veggies, I made some very, very soft colifour with a bit of cheese and flavorings, again only to reject it about 10 mins later. I don't experience any dizziness or sweating, just a burning sensation in my throat, and then the urge to throw up. Just wondering if it is to soon to call this dumping? or maybe just to soon for this food. I am diligent about chewing very small pieces of food, and stick to my 30-60 mls every 15 mins. Each meals takes me a minimum of an hr to eat.

Daisies

kayakgirl
on 12/7/13 8:24 pm - Canada

Don't know if this helps bur I stopped crushing pills after Day 4 and I felt a lot better.

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

LittleMiss2013
on 12/7/13 8:43 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I would say it's likely that your body just wasn't in the mood for those particular things right now. You can try them again a few more weeks down the line and it may go well. Some foods you may never tolerate again and some you will find just don't sit well for a little while. However this COULD be your version of dumping, everyone is different. It's something you will learn as time goes on

As for dumping......I had my gallbladder out in 2012 and found out quickly that I was a "dumper". I never did figure out exactly what ingredients were making me dump...because i could eat a snickers bar and be fine, but if I drank a Vanilla Chia Tea frappe from McDonalds I knew I had about 10 - 15 minutes before I had to RUN not walk, to the nearest bathroom. So for me back then "dumping" was a bathroom thing and only a bathroom thing.

NOW since having the RNY.....dumping has changed. It's no longer a bathroom issue. I tried eating half a mini Carrot muffin and 10-20 minutes later my heart was beating so fast and so hard I was SURE it was going to come right out of my chest...which causes me to panic a little because PRE-op and a big reason for me getting this surgery was that I had Benign heart palpitations daily. This NEW dumping lasts me about 30 - 45 minutes of constant heart pounding.

However dumping presents itself....it is usually within 15 - 30 minutes of eating something with high sugar or high fat OR a small amount sometimes in my case of a certain TYPE of sugar.....sugar alcohols etc. Your body reacts. Some people report ......

• A feeling of fullness, even after eating just a small amount
  • Abdominal cramping or pain
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Severe diarrhea
  • Sweating, flushing, or light-headedness
  • Rapid heartbeat

There is also "Late dumping" which happens about 3 hours after eating. It's trial and error for the first little while. The cauliflower didn't likely cause dumping...MAYBE the cheese if it was too high in fat? Try again without the cheese, and if it happens again then you know it's just that your body is not feeling like cauliflower right now, lol.  =)

I am just over 6 weeks post op and only just got brave enough to start swallowing pills. I HATED crushing them...but by week 4 I was kinda used to it, lol

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

merry1
on 12/7/13 9:29 pm - Canada

Great response!  I am the same, I can eat something one day and not the next.  I get palpatations and sweating and severe lack of energy, have to lie down for at least an hour until it passes.  Its unpredictable for me, same generally with what I put in it, sometimes its fine and sometimes even though I don't get dumping, my pouch just does not like what goes in there at times.

Mary A.
on 12/10/13 11:27 pm

dumping for the most part contains the same symptoms for most people although as I always say (not everyone is alike)...not sure if it was dumping or maybe your body just doesn't want cauliflower this early on. You mentioned adding cheese and flavourings, either of those two items could have caused a reaction as well.

Dumping from my own experience is related to sugar and sugar alcohols...and I know my personal limit is approx 14-18 g....anything above that and I can expect a kick back.  I have never experienced burning from any of my episodes of dumping.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics