Not thrilled 2.5 weeks out

kayakgirl
on 12/12/13 1:29 am - Canada

So. My surgery went well and I was very pleased by the care I received in hospital. However, since I've been home it has definitely been a struggle. First off, I had a very sore back for the first week out and although that has settled down it still comes back if I walk more than once around the block. I have also had some discomfort on my left side and problems with gas pains. With all of this I am struggling to get much walking in and am considerably less active than before my surgery. I am also struggling with eating/drinking and vitamins. I am referring to my Centre's guidelines but what seems apparent on paper is not working out so smoothly for me in real life. I will be seeing the Dietician tomorrow so I hope that she and I can figure that stuff out. I guess I thought that my recovery would be well on it's way by now and am dismayed that I'm still feeling lousy. I am supposed to return to work next week for half days but am worried about my back and my eating/drinking issues. Am I expecting too much? It seems ridiculous to only be able to walk such a short distance and to be so perplexed by eating and drinking...... %^$&%#$#&%*^%!!!!!

Thanks for reading,

Jennifer

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

mispysmom
on 12/12/13 1:32 am - elliot lake, Canada
hang in there girl!! it gets better!!!

Amanda

Patm
on 12/12/13 3:06 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

It is major surgery and your body will adjust. I know it is frustrating but just do what you can.

LilyBugsMommy
on 12/12/13 3:24 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

It will get better. I know you see people post on here who say they don't even feel like they had surgery at all and everything is so awesome. Well, I was not one of those people. I ended up taking an extra week off before going back to work because I had a hard time and an infection.

It is so much harder in real life than on paper. I found it very difficult to get even one shake per day and my water in at first and try to juggle all my vitamins and other medications.

I don't think I really started feeling better and in control until about 4 weeks post-op. That is why I took the extra week. I felt I needed it to get my eating figured out before I went back to work and tried to figure out how to make everything work together.

You have been through a major surgery, your insides have been all mixed up, it is painful, tiring and frustrating.

But, it is sooooo going to be worth it in a few short months! :) Hang in there!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

smallisland
on 12/12/13 3:43 am, edited 12/12/13 3:43 am - Canada
VSG on 10/30/13

As other's have said it will take time to heal.  Be gentle with yourself.  I wasn't walking more than 15 min/day until week three and I started extending it a bit at a time.  It is certainly harder on some people than other's, I was one of the lucky one's.  I haven't experienced what you are going through but i do know you will feel better.  Take one day at a time....taking a little extra time off would probably be a good idea.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

Referral Feb 2012, Orientation at Guelph Nov. 29/12, RN, SW and NUT Feb. 13/12, 2nd RN, SW and NUT April 26/13, Dr. Agarwal May 7/13, SW May 22/13. HW 334lbs, CW 269 lbs. Post-op nutrition course August 1/13, Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Sept 9/13, PATTS Oct 9/13, Opti Oct 16/13, Surgery Oct 30/13.

Nanato2
on 12/12/13 7:07 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Everyone is different in their recover I was off for 8 weeks from work and it wasn't till around 6 weeks that my energy started to come back. Don't be so hard on yourself remember you had major surgery that moved around your insides. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

aidan
on 12/12/13 8:22 am - Canada
Major surgery! I needed every bit of my 4 weeks off to recover. I also had pain and discomfort on my left side pain walking etc. Liquid, food and vitamins will come just stick to the guidelines as closely as you are able. It gets so very much better! Hang in there

S_Tucker1
on 12/12/13 8:35 am

I'm also 2.5 weeks out. In fact, I think we are surgery twins (Nov 25). I'm so glad you posted your message because I have been struggling as well. I don't have any back pain but I am only getting 4-5 oz of water per day and some days I can get the protein in and some I don't. I just don't have room for it all in my new stomach. It's making me stressed!  My vitamin intake is all over the place too- some days are better than others. I'm starting to feel lethargic and I run out of breath when I walk up the stairs. I'm getting on average about 300-400 calories per day. I have no idea if this is normal. I'm having dreams that I lose my hair. I am supposed to go back to work in a week and I'm wondering if I will make it through the day!

Anyway, it's nice to know others are going through what I'm going through. I hope your back gets better soon. 

Dr. Referral- Aug 2012, Orientation- March 2013, Psych/Nut & Gastroscopy- Sept 2013, Internist & Social Work- Nov 6, 2013...

Sunny123
on 12/12/13 9:48 am, edited 12/12/13 9:50 am
RNY on 12/05/13

So sorry you're not feeling so well Jennifer. I am sure you will feel better soon but I know that doesn't help you now. Get well soon.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Sojouner
on 12/13/13 1:52 am

Hang in there! I'm also 2.5 weeks out.  Some things are better than I thought they would be and truthfully some things are much harder.  I had my first full night of sleep last night since surgery, it was wonderful!  I hope you feel better soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics