In need of some support

providence
on 2/26/14 11:31 am
RNY on 03/20/14

Hi all, I start Optifast diet tomorrow morning. I am stressing about it. I am humbly asking for any insight, words of wisdom, support, etc from the experts on this forum. Any words will be most appreciated. Thanks so much.

daisies109
on 2/26/14 11:42 am

Just try to soak it all in that these are the last few days/weeks before a whole new life begins. For me during the 3 weeks of opti, variety was key. The chocolate I heated up like hot chocolate. Add sugar/calorie free syrups to change up the flavor. Just try to enjoy and experiment so that you don't get sick of having the same taste day after day. All the best!!! Keep us posted!!

Amy

Daisies

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/14 11:46 am

Please dont stress out about it. I was on it for 3 weeks, the first few days are the worst, but then after it will be a schedule. Make sure you drink 4 a day, it gives you everything you need and you shouldn't be hungry, remember, variety and this is just the beginning of your journey. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

Monica M.
on 2/26/14 7:14 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

It's hard, not going to say its not. Vary things up. If you're allowed to have broth and veggies, do that, its nice to chew things once in a while. I whizzed mine up with ice cubes sometimes, tasted like a wendys froster.

expect the carb/caffeine withdrawl headaches.

and remember.

You CAN do hard things. You're a warrior.

Catw
on 2/26/14 9:55 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Optifast is scarier than it really is.  The first few days will be challenging, as you are doing a drastic change in how you are getting nourishment.  If you haven't already given up caffeine, then there will be headaches.  Some people have bowel changes as well, sf metemucil capsuls can help with this.

What I did was look at my average day.  I'm up early as I commute 1 hour each way for work.  So I had my first shake at about 6 am (on the way to work), then had a bottle of crystal light iced tea, and about 10 or 10:30 had shake #2.  Had a bottle of Crystal light. At around 2 or 2:30 I'd have shake #3.  I'd go home and make supper, while my family ate, I had shake #4.  Then I'd have crystal light, and a Jello for dessert.  (Wasn't allowed veggies).

If you schedule your meals, you'll get used to it and be fine.  Actually, after it was over, I missed the shakes.  I enjoyed not having to think of what I was eating all day.

Cathy

dragongirl_76
on 2/27/14 3:58 am

once you make it to day 5, everything from there will be gravy! you can do this.

dna
on 2/27/14 4:12 am - Canada

It's a big change !  The first few days are the hardest BUT it's the fork in the road.  You are headed to a better way of life ! 

You can do this !  You got this !  Don't stress, just drink :) 

Good luck !

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

providence
on 2/27/14 8:48 am
RNY on 03/20/14

Thanks so much for all of your support. Today has been interesting. I really don't mind the taste of the Opti (either flavour). However I have been very hungry. I know it will get better. I really appreciate everyone's support!! I will keep everyone posted... :)

Julie99
on 2/27/14 10:17 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

You can do this!!!  One day at a time :)

Referral: June 26, 2013  Confirmation: July 4, 2013  Orientation(OWMC) Sept.13, 2013  Nurse: Dec. 3, 2013  Nut/Beh: Jan. 28, 2014  Pre-surgical class: Feb. 26, 2014  Meet Surgeon: March 18, 2014  PAU: July 11, 2014  Surgery with Dr. Yelle: Aug. 11, 2014              

lalalalaura13
on 2/27/14 11:32 pm - Toronto, Canada

Don't stress too much - as everyone else has said - the first couple of days are a struggle.  I only got through 4 days and then was told my surgery was postponed so I've been trying to eat healthy and have lost a few lbs. and start back to the Opti next Thursday.  The cravings the first couple of days are hard - but if you have something to keep you busy during those moments when you would normally think to eat something, you'll forget all about the cravings.  I got back into crocheting a few months ago - and let me tell you...I haven't touched any extra food.  It keeps my hands and my mind busy - if you can find something to keep you occupied, you'll do absolutely fine. 

Most Active
Recent Topics