Weight loss prior to being accepted on registry

David Symons
on 4/6/14 11:51 pm - Peterborough, Canada

By the beginning of the year I weighed over 350 pounds. It got to the point that I could barely put my shoes on. On February 02, Groundhog Day, I went on the Atkins diet. I saw my doctor mid-March and at that time asked him to refer me to the bariatric surgery registry. I weighed myself while I was in his office and I was down to 349 pounds. By the beginning of April I was down to 324 pounds and I'm still losing weight. My question is should I be losing all this weight before I'm accepted for the surgery? I know from past experience I'll end up putting the weight back on, so I am convinced that bariatric surgery is a necessity for me.

Feb 02/14 Pre-Atkins Diet 355lbs. April 01/14 324 lbs. April 07/14 320lbs. September 14/14 281lbs.

SulowskiT
on 4/7/14 12:29 am

Not know anything about the Atkins diet at all, when I visited the nutritionist it was more about starting out with good eating habits that you will carry through after your surgery. Ie. no more pop, caffeine, eating three meals a day, limiting fat and sugars, writing down what you eat etc. She said weight loss was not expected but could be a side effect from these good eating habits. Also getting into an exercise routine was also important.

so if Atkins is based on these things I would continue, but if not I would reconsider something like weigh****chers.  This seems more in line with what our lives will be like in the future.

good luck!

franky13
on 4/7/14 1:25 am

Any loss is good :) step to good health...Good luck!

Referred September 2012, HHRH Orientation December 2012, Meet with surgeon January 2013, Meet with and testing with Dr Glazer May 2013, PATTS July 4, 2013 - 325lbs, Surgery HRRH August 1st, 2013 - 299lbs, second surgery late August 2nd to drain fluid, Discharged August 5th - 294lbs, reached 1/2 way to goal at 16 wks, MOM of three kids, married for 13 years :)

David Symons
on 4/7/14 2:06 am - Peterborough, Canada

The Atkins diet is a high protein/low-carb diet. At this point I'm not as concerned about my diet as I am about qualifying for surgery. I don't know if there's a minimum BMI that I need to have two get on the surgery registry.

Feb 02/14 Pre-Atkins Diet 355lbs. April 01/14 324 lbs. April 07/14 320lbs. September 14/14 281lbs.

David Symons
on 4/7/14 2:12 am - Peterborough, Canada

I know my weight loss is a good thing, but I'm concerned that if I lose too much weight I won't qualify for surgery. Does anyone know if there is a minimum weight or BMI needed to qualify for surgery? So far all that has happened is my doctor has sent a referral for me to be accepted for weight loss surgery. I'm afraid of I lose too much weight I won't be accepted for the surgery at all.

Catw
on 4/7/14 2:25 am - Arnprior, Canada

The minimum BMI is 35, if you have co-morbities such as High Blood Pressure, Diabetes etc.  If you do not have any co-morbidities, the minimum BMI is 40.

Cathy

David Symons
on 4/7/14 2:33 am - Peterborough, Canada

Thanks Cathy. This is the info I needed. I will monitor my weight loss to make sure my BMI does not go below 40. Once I been approved for surgery I'll work on losing more weight.

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/14 4:24 am

Why go thru a year of tests, meetings ect if you can do it on your own. You are not guaranteed surgery just from registering. You have to go thru many tests and consultations and they may find other issues with you that will stop you from having surgery. You will have to have a sleep study, and lets say they find something wrong with your heart, liver ect... those things have to be taken care of as well. Some people gone 1-3 years if not more before they meet the surgeon who is the one who gives the final ok for surgery. You are jeopardizing your health by waiting... if you are loosing like you are on your own do it!! There is also alot of complications that can arise after surgery as well... It is not a quick fix believe me. Not being rude by any means... but if I could have done it on my own I would have. 

David Symons
on 4/7/14 5:03 am - Peterborough, Canada

Thanks for your comments 1234godown150. As far as me losing weight on my own, I am probably like everyone else here and I've lost upwards of a 1000 pounds on various diet and exercise programs. The weight always comes back plus more. Given my history I'm sure I will regain the weight I've lost. I'm looking at surgery as a way to help me lose my extra weight permanently. I believe I qualify for surgery because of my medical history. I have high cholesterol, hypertension, sleep apnea and mobility problems caused by my weight and partial paralysis of my right leg and right foot. In early 2012 I was diagnosed with a tumor in my L4 vertebrae. On February 07 2012 I had surgery to remove the pressure on my spinal cord. On July 14 and 15 I had surgeries to completely remove the L4 vertebrae with the cordoma tumor in it. With the vertebrae removed the doctor installed a spacer between my L3 and L5 vertebrae. I have rods with screws in my L2, L3, L5, and S1 vertebrae. With my excess weight I run the real risk of permanent paralysis if the screws break apart the vertebrae. I'm looking at bariatric surgery as a way to help me lose my excess weight permanently. At the very least I would like to lose enough weight so my pallbearers could carry my casket. I know I've just begun this journey but I have to start someplace. Go to sleep

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/14 5:42 am

I wish you all the best, sounds like you have been to hell and back with health issues. But please to never think about death and your weight. That brought tears to my eyes. You will be around for a very long time. I weighed more than you do now when I put in my referral. It is very hard, but please, please remember, this surgery is a tool... you have to work it just like any other diet... dont give up... ok? 

Most Active
Recent Topics