Still no meat?

time2changeme
on 4/21/14 12:45 pm

Hello Everyone:  Just wondering if anyone else has issues with meat.  I had my VSG one and a half years ago and still cannot tolerate meat.  I find it so hard to get enough protein in however I am able to tolerate cheese, scrambled eggs (only), nuts, yogurt and protein supplements.  I just get the worst cravings for meat, and even one bite has me vomitting. I've tried tuna, salmon, other fish, turkey, chicken, pork, ham, lamb, beef etc nothing sits well at all. 

Any advice, ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

4-Jane
on 4/21/14 1:33 pm - Canada

What about smoked meats or sushi or beef jerky? I don't eat any of those but they all have different textures and taste .  Can you tolerate puréed meats, or liver or lunch meats?  Sorry that it has not gotten easier for you, do you find you absorb the protein you are eating differently than meat?

i struggle with eating in general and still drink two protein shakes a day, but I have been told that the proteins I'm getting are not as good for me more difficult for my body to absorb.  Hope you find something, I like fish best, and have not had rice or pasta yet bread seems like a waste for me.  It sure is challenging eh?

Respectfully Jane
birdiegirl
on 4/21/14 7:11 pm

You likely have already tried this......but do you use gravy?.....small piece with some gravy worked for me early out...( I appreciate you are 18 months out)....also slow cooker meats are great for me....I love stew

Catw
on 4/22/14 2:37 am - Arnprior, Canada

What kind of cuts are you trying?  I find solid cuts harder to take than ground cuts.  I also find that any kind of pork is hard to take.  When you have poultry, is it dry?  Try cooking it with salsa or another sauce.  Even with ground meat, try to cook it in a sauce, the moisture will help it go down.  Have you tried adding a bit to spaghetti sauce?  Or tried chili?

Slow cooked meats can be quite tender, especially things like stews.

Also, if you are trying prepared meats like meatballs, not all meatballs are made equal.  Some are harder to eat than others.

Cathy

time2changeme
on 4/22/14 12:00 pm

I have tried all of the above and many different kinds and ways of preparing it.  I guess I have a little diva for a stomach, maybe someday it will sit better.  Thanks for all your suggestions and advice, l appreciate your ideas.   

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/14 12:02 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I can understand the meat but not to be able to even have cooked fish especially salmon is awful. Have you discussed it with your nutritionist recently.  

time2changeme
on 4/23/14 12:19 am

Yes, I talk to the dietition on a regualr basis we have tried so many varations of things, l was always a meat lover so this has been a real challenge for me. Even a bite of any kind of meat or fish makes me vomitt. I guess I ended up with a very touchy stomach, but l find l have to becareful replacing meat with nuts and cheese as they are so high in fat content and they make up most of my protein.  I found out over the recent death of my grandson that carbs and sweets stay down okay which is not a good thing either, but l refuse to make the wrong choices to get back into an unhealthy living and eating habits again l worked too hard for this and I'm almost down 300 pounds now.  Sad thing is l did this for myself as well as my grandchildren and now one is missing and it's been stressful.   

Most Active
Recent Topics