Constipation on Optifast

michellecowles
on 6/8/14 11:49 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

Okay okay, so I've reached that time... I have 4 days left of Optifast, but have hit a brick wall with a constipation issue. I've been taking fiber, nothing... drinking water, nothing.. 

I know someone has mentioned Senokot but wondering if this is something I can take while on optifast? If not what else has helped this issue while on Opti?

Thanks! 

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

LilyBugsMommy
on 6/8/14 12:14 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Words of wisdom based on personal experience---be sure that you have had a bowel movement before surgery or it will be awful afterwards!! I didn't realize in all the hustle & bustle pre-op that I hadn't gone for 3-4 days before surgery day & then with the effect of the anisthetic on my body after surgery, I ended up being 11 days & a trip to ER for help before I got things moving again. And it wasn't an easy situation for a few days after that either :( A very unpleasant experience overall :(

Do whatever you have to, to go before surgery!! (Milk of Magnesia, suppository, whatever!!)

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

tabno1
on 6/8/14 7:09 pm - barrie, Canada

hey michelle four more sleeps yay.  i used senekot for a few days before and that got me going the day  before.  good luck

Referral - Sept 23rd, Resent Referral - Oct 29th - Orientation Nov 18/13, Dr Hyuhn Nov 26  -  SW/RN/RD - DEC 20TH - DR GLAZER FEB 25/13 Surgery Date: June 3, 2014

HW:252 OPTI W:224  SW 212 CW:205.5

Monica M.
on 6/8/14 10:30 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

take whatever you need to to have a bowel movement prior to surgery. You really will be sorry if you don't.

Milk of magnesia has worked well for me, senekot doesn't do a whole lot for me, Bowels are very individual, what works for one, doesn't work so well for someone else. If you don't have a good BM prior to surgery, use an enema.

michellecowles
on 6/8/14 10:31 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

Thanks for all of your help! I took a senokot last night and got everything moving this morning again :) 

-Michelle

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics