plastic surgery

karenbean
on 6/23/14 1:47 am

Starting to think about plastics but don't know where to start, any suggestions.

Delicious_Delilah
on 6/23/14 6:02 am - Ottawa, Canada

I actually got a referral from my Centre.  Not sure if that's typical.  I went in to discuss a hernia (incisional/umbilical), and the Doc suggested that if I was thinking of having a tummy tuck or panni, it would make sense to pair the surgeries, and hence he referred me to a plastic surgeon so they could work together on it.

Met with the plastic surgeon.  Requirement is to be at a stable weight for at least six months...I had been at a stable weight for about 3 months.  And I was at a normal BMI.  Met with him 3 months later...still stable, so then moved to scheduling surgery which is taking place in a couple of weeks.  He applied to have the panni covered, and within a couple of weeks, that too was approved.  We also talked about other things I wanted done (arms and legs in particular -- to be scheduled later, as appropriate.

That was my journey. So first time I met with him was February, second time May, and now surgery in July.  Hope the result is good.  We'll see.  Then I'll decide if I want other work done.

Good luck!

DD

lexxiblue
on 6/24/14 3:14 am
RNY on 01/11/12
Mary A.
on 6/26/14 12:14 am

I agree start  with a referaal to a plastic surgeon and go from there...no to put a damper on your hopes and truly I hope it all goes smoothly, my process was much longer I saw the plastic surgeon in Sept 2011, by January 2012 I had not yet heard from OHIP...they then denied my application with one word (borderline)

I then opted to appeal the decision and went forward with that process...after 6 months and waiting patiently they decided to withdraw their denial and approve my panni removal.

these are the guidelines for a panni removal, remember anything above the belly button will not be addressed unless you opt to pay it yourself, and price ranges that I have heard are anywhere from $3,600-6,000.

16. Excision of excess fatty tissue and/or skin

a. Panniculectomy is only insured in the following cir****tances and when prior authorization of payment is obtained from the

MOHLTC:

i. where there is significant associated symptomatology related to the pannus;

ii. where the pannus extends to a level below the pubis symphysis; and

iii. where the patient’s weight has been stable for a minimum of 6 months when panniculectomy is requested in relation to

weight loss.

b. Excision of excess fatty tissue and/or skin other than for panniculectomy is not an insured service.

[Commentary:

Examples of significant clinical symptomatology include significant pain, chronic skin breakdown, and recurrent cellulitis and/or

ulcers.]

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics