8th Year Banniversary

tomander
on 7/7/14 2:59 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hello Band Buddies

Well I’m two days late celebrating 8th Banniversary” (July 6, 2006) but I have something extra to celebrate this year.

I finally have my new left hip! The past few months for lack of a better word have been horrendous but if I had not been banded the situation would have been much worse because I would have turned to food to help “make me feel better and pick me up”.

The hip surgery went very well when I finally had it done (there were complications when the surgery was first started and it had to be stopped and then restarted two days later.) I’m finally had it and I’m on the mend. I spend 10 days in hospital and 28 days in Rehab.

As I look back not only on the past year but the past 8 years I think of how the band has helped me through so many stressful situations… yes when your stressed the band can be your enemy but it can also help you (or it helped me).

As I have mentioned in my past “Banniversary Posts” I had done all my research; talk to the doctors several times prior to my surgery. Read everything I could on the internet about the lapband and joined several message boards. I was in the Lapbandtalk.com chat room every night for two months prior to surgery and I even spoke with two patients on the phone. I was ready to begin my lapband journey.

I can remember right after the surgery I said… “What have I done myself”. I thought I was going to die from the left shoulder pain I was experiencing.

The fourth day past and going into the fifth day I was starting to feel “normal” but little did I realize that from that day on my life, in particular how I looked at food would change.

I kept my food journal everyday for the first four months. I wrote down everything. Every Monday morning I would sit and re-read the information my clinic gave me.

I’ve had 4 adjustments in total and every time I went for an adjustment I asked lots of questions at the meetings before my adjustment. My nurse was ALWAYS a wealth of information.

Every month when I went to my family doctor for my monthly weigh-in and measurements I took my folder with all my lapband info in it along with my food journals for the past month and I would review my journals with my family doctor and then he would take out the measuring tape and then I would get weighed.

The lapband journey for me was like doing a puzzle. There are many pieces that would eventually come together and form my new lapband lifestyle.

Things that have helped me work on my lapband puzzle.

- I listened to the doctor and clinic staff

- I reviewed the information folder given to me by the clinic on regular basis

(weekly while on the various food stages) and then twice a month

- So many people that get banded today get their binder and they read through it just after surgery and then put it on the self to collect dust.

- I kept my food journal for 4 months without fail

- I stopped eating large meals past 7:00 p.m… and now just have an evening snack on occasion. The only exception to my rule is on Friday night when I usually go out for dinner

Even before my journey started I started looking for support. I read everything I could find online, read EVERY post on Canadian Lapbanders and asked many questions.

Support. Since being banded the word support has never been so important to me. The lapband journey is a unique experience and if the people around you are not banded they try to understand what you’re going through but they really don’t get it. I know the reason I was so successful is because of the support of fellow bandsters. I went to the support group meetings at the clinic, attended the special seminars offered and I was always in the chat room. Over the years I’ve talked on the phone to bandsters from all over, Canada, US and even the UK.

Fast forward to today and I still say that support from fellow bandsters is the key for me in maintaining my weight and I still have my monthly weigh-in with my family doctor. Friends that are not banded laugh at me because I take the GO train all over the place just to meet a group of people for coffee. Yes, it’s an expensive cup of coffee but I enjoy connecting with my fellow bandsters as they start their new journey or watch them reach their goal and it’s great to share lapband stories with individuals that are looking into this new lifestyle change. The band was a big investment in my health and as each year goes by the “interest” in my health increases for the better because of the band.

People ask me if I think about my lapband everyday… I do (usually when it gurgles) but it has become a part of me. I still enjoy all the foods I did in the past (with two exceptions and NO CARBONATED BEVERAGES) but I never feel like I’m missing out on certain foods or social gatherings because I have the band.

To my fellow bandsters thank you so much for being there for me at the various stages throughout my journey and in particular this past year. Yes I may be crazy to travel just about anywhere to meet fellow bandsters for coffee but again I get so much out of these unique support groups but they keep me on track.

The past 8 years have been a journey…and it journey that will continue for many years to come. I have enjoyed cooking more and I’ve even exercised more keeping track of my daily steps to Tim Hortons… one day I may even reach 10,000 steps in one day! I need to get some kilometers (or miles) on my new hip).

Thank you to everyone that supported me the past 8 years and remember it’s NEVER too late to jump back on the “band-wagon”. I look forward to riding the band-wagon with you all as you reach your goal.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at the coffee groups in August and I’ll be starting up a Toronto coffee group again… hopefully in August or September.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06 Wt.

Loss: 160 lbs

birdiegirl
on 7/7/14 8:53 pm

What a great success you are Tom....big congrats!!!

Patm
on 7/7/14 11:17 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Eight years and maintaining is certainly something to celebrate. HOpe your hip heals well

Mary A.
on 7/8/14 2:26 am

awesome and thanks for sharing I hope your new hip will give you many miles of use and a bunch of new found dancing!!!

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Onward and
Downward

on 7/8/14 11:01 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Many congrats, Tom! You've done great!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

tomander
on 7/9/14 1:56 pm - Toronto, Canada

Thank  you!

Most Active
Recent Topics