Optifast Substitute

ArleneAnne
on 7/10/14 10:19 pm - Oakville, Canada

Due to the aspertaime content in Optifast, I will not be able to use it ...... has anyone else had to deal with this ???? ..... and what did you use instead ????

Patm
on 7/10/14 10:44 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Basically I was told too bad. However I have heard they will give you a low carb diet to follow if there is a documented medical issue with it. I was unable to prove I reacted to it. I just put up with diarrhea for three weeks.

Karen M.
on 7/10/14 10:52 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Do you have a doctor-documented allergy to aspartame?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Catw
on 7/10/14 11:26 pm - Arnprior, Canada

You will need to talk to your centre about it.  There are other options if they agree it is needed, but it is different between centres.

Cathy

cutecanadiangirl
on 7/11/14 12:16 am

Hi. I was able to do a 900 calorie protein sparing diet instead of Optifast.  In my initial documentation, I wrote that I cannot tolerate milk products and artificial sweeteners.  There was no other medical documentation needed in my case from a doctor. My best advice would be to speak to your family doctor and become an advocate for yourself. No one should have to go through weeks of hell with GI issues just because Optifast. It is not the only option on the block.  In my opinion, this product is poison and other options should be given.

redviking
on 7/11/14 1:01 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I am lactose intolerant so I couldn't do Optifast either.  In Guelph they were very nice about it.  The alternative I am doing is the same for someone allergic to sweetener. I get 3 shakes a day, nothing else, no broth, no jello, nothing.  Each shake is one cup of skim milk(I use lactose free), 4 tbsp of beneprotein powder (available from pharmacy), and a pack of carnation instant breakfast.  It works out to about 900 calories a day.  Tell your dietitian right from the start if you have an issue. 

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Most Active
Recent Topics