tired of trying to lose on my own and thinking about having the surgery

taniagirlca
on 8/2/14 9:04 am

So I have been trying to lose on my own after having been approved for surgery after a year and a half. I deferred it to September.  My next weigh in is Aug 12 and if I'm not down more pounds or have gained, I think I will have the surgery. I gave myself a three month window to see if I could lose it but now fearing that I cant. Lots of people around me will have tons to say negatively if I go through with it but I wont broadcast it. I think I need to weigh the pros and cons of it. Would love feedback on the pros of it. I am on 7 pills a day that I would like to get rid of, blood pressure, cholesterol, reflux, anti anxiety,  etc. And sleep apnea :(

Thanks for listening.

redviking
on 8/2/14 9:07 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I left the hospital off my high blood pressure pills. Checked out by my family doctor this week, 9 days after surgery and he confirmed I don't need them anymore.  That's a pro!

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

angiehall41
on 8/2/14 11:38 am, edited 8/2/14 11:52 am - Canada

I will be going for my first of many appointments on Aug.7/2014, it is just an info session but the package I got says that all appointments must be attended... I too have tried losing weight on my own, bin to countless gyms, diets, including pgx, herbal magic, and curves, cabbage soup, jucing, smoothies, green tea and something called the fresh diet. All worked for a while I lost a bit of weight and then gained it back.

My goal is to keep a healthy weight and get off my meds as well. My blood pressureis so high my  Dr. Has had me on 4different meds and doses .

Pros: for sure of this surgery is being med free, having a smaller bmi, and not being winded trying to keep pace with my bf and kids when we walk places. I am forever begging people to slow down because I cant breath and my legs and back hurt.

Cons: would have to be trading meds for supplements, because I hate pills, and cost of dietary stuff like optifast from$200-$400ca! Travel to and  from appointments and all the after appointments , the liquid diets, something Called dumping.

Angieh

Soon_to_Shrink
on 8/2/14 12:54 pm

I'm not sure I ever would have done the surgery for weight loss alone.  I've always been a "big" girl but very active playing competitive soccer at the provincial level, swimming 1.5 k every second day, trained for Olympic level sailing etc.  Working out and being active -even at my most active 7-8 hours a day during the summer while in university- the lowest I ever got was 220.  Over time I developed very bad diabetes and was on experimental drugs at one point eating basically a post RNY high protein low carb diet.  Within 2 days of surgery I was off all meds.  That means more to me than clothing size or the number on the scale.  If I hadn't medically needed this surgery I would not have done it.

RNY changes your gut hormones.  These hormones are linked to a number of health problems but even after the malabsorption reduces, the hormones stay changed.  If your medical conditions would improve with the surgery, I'd say go for it.  Most of us have (or take after) family members with weight issues.  You can see your future in them.  Watching my mother have diabetes, 3 joint replacement surgeries, high cholesterol and blood pressure, mini strokes, etc.  That was potentially my future and I know the surgery has helped me alter the course and allowed me the best chance at a healthy future.

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/14 12:56 pm, edited 8/2/14 1:01 pm - Toronto, Canada

I, like many contemplated the surgery for a long time, prior to actually going through with the referral and starting the process. My mother and sister have both had the RNY and so I did see its successes and struggles from surgery first hand. , while both have lost a dramatic amount of weight, My mother has been very successful with the surgery, no complications at all, and off all her meds and cpap machine. She had high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, watching her have two majour heart attacks that required triple bypass, she was very unhealthy. Now she has no health issues at all. She's healthy, glowing and happy. Its amazing to see her true self emerge, and see her quality of life improve so much. My sister on the other hand, who went into surgery with no co morbs at all, just obese, has had quite a few complications. She has been in and out of the hospital. Hernia, gallbladder attacks, and most recently, a very serious case of pancreatitis. You really have to decide for yourself if this is something you want to move forward with. For me, I know, it is the right choice. I have zero doubts. I am 200% ready. I feel the outcome and the positives surgery will provide me, outweigh the risks involved. You will also have to take many pills after surgery, to suppliment all the nutrients we are no longer receiving in our food. 

Only you an say what is right for you, and you'll know when you're ready... For me, I have seen the good and bad from surgery first hand, and still, I have no question, the surgery is something I need. I can't do it on my own. I have tried for too many years, only to be back in a worse situation than where I started. My quality of life is so poor, and I need the help and tools surgery will provide me.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

providence
on 8/2/14 1:13 pm
RNY on 03/20/14

Don' t let other people be the basis on which you make any decision. This being said there are many pro's to this. I am about 4 months out and have lost about 70 pounds. But besides the weight I have lost the "chip" on my shoulder that until recently I didn't realize I had. I always thought that I didn't let me weight stop me from enjoying life in general. Boy was I wrong. I have also lost a 70 pound chip off my shoulders.... Do what you feel is right for you. This is a big decision, a life altering decision. However, it is a decision that ultimately only you can make. It isn't easy, this surgery is not a "quick" fix, you have to exercise and make healthy choices even when you don't want to, but it is worth it (in my opinion). I would do it again in a heart beat, without giving it a second thought. For me this has given me a second chance at enjoying life. 20 years of morbid obesity takes a toll on a person, I realize that now. The only pharmaceutical I am on is Cymbalta, which is for neuropathic pain/anxiety, hoping to be able to reduce the dosage and eventually stop this med as well. I wish you luck and success with whatever you choose to do. If you would like to speak more, please inbox me! Lisa

Patm
on 8/2/14 10:45 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I was a little older having this surgery. I was on diabetic, 2 blood pressure meds and cholesteral meds. I also had sever sleep apnea. I only take the cholesterol meds but even that has improved. My good count is up from being more active. My sleep apnea is much better but I still sleep better with my machine. Because I had surgery so late my joints were already in rough shape. I wish I had done this surgery before the damage was done.

You have to decide if you are ready for the changes. The losing initially is easy. The maintenance is not. You need to work on why you over eat. They will do surgery on your innards not your brain. If you do not deal with your eating issues you may gain again. From all I read from the vets you have to make a life long commitment to working on your issues and making good choices.

Good luck with your decision

Catw
on 8/2/14 11:58 pm - Arnprior, Canada

As someone said, you need to make this decision on your own, and it has to be for you.  

Over 10 years ago, I went to the WLC, and found out where I stood and my options.  One was program, one was surgery, and one was things like WW.  I couldn't afford program, and surgery scared me so I tried WW again.  Didn't work.  When I came back from Maternity Leave, someone came back from having surgery shortly after, and talked about it and though I should go through it.  It was a big thing for me at the time, then I tried  to keep my weight at where it was, and lose a bit because I wanted to use a Wii Fit, but I was too heavy for it.  And I couldn't get my weight back down.  I got tired of the gain and knew I had to do something.  And at that point, all I had left was surgery.  I was ready and determined.  Didn't like the hurry up and wait situation, but it was probably better.

I too had lots of people around me that are the type, if you don't follow what I think is right (whether it is or not), you are wrong and screwed up.  So when I decided, I only told a few people, not including these people.  I only told them because I was starting Optifast, and had 3 family get togethers in a weekend.  So I had to explain the shakes and no food.  They were not impressed that I didn't tell them before.  They couldn't change my mind at that point if they tried.

I won't promise you that you'll not need any of your medications any more.  But the dosage may change (i'm thinking more about he anti anxiety meds).  I'm on eltroxin for my thyroid, and it hasn't changed a bit.  This should help your sleep apnea though.

Make your list of Pros and Cons.  And make sure that under Pros, you include having support here.

Cathy

Karen M.
on 8/3/14 1:47 am - Mississauga, Canada

Tania, I think you made a very wise decision in deferring your surgery until September to give yourself time to continue with healthy habits and really think about your options. Making your own list of pros and cons was a good suggestion. I could give you pages of pros, for ME. This is about you, your decision. We're here to support you whatever you decide.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

taniagirlca
on 8/3/14 9:38 am

Thanks for all the replies, I have more thinking to do !

Most Active
Recent Topics