Needing Advice Please!!

gunnabehealthy
on 8/13/14 12:16 am

Hi! I am a RNY'er from February 2013 at HRRH with Dr. Hagen. Since about nine months on the nose, I have not lost any weight. I have lost/ gained the same 5 pounds, over and over! My question is, this has been around 8 months or so, am I destined to be this weight? I would still like to loose another 20lbs or so! I run 5-6.5k 3x a week or more and walk and bike ride too. My calorie count is around 1200-1500 a day, depending on exercise. My protein is usually around 100-130 a day too. Carb level is around 30-40%. Can someone please help me, starting to get frustrated! Thanks!! 

gunnabehealthy
on 8/13/14 12:20 am

Forgot to add, started at 295 and now at 180-185. Don't get my wrong, I love where I am at, but I feel I am not done yet!!! Who would ever thought that when you start at a size 24 pants that you would be into American Eagle size 10 jeans?? Not me, that is for sure!!!

Catw
on 8/13/14 12:21 am - Arnprior, Canada

Not sure why, but make sure you are drinking enough water.  Other than that, talk to you NUT and see if there is something in your diet that you need to change.  They can help you walk through it.

Cathy

kellybelly333
on 8/13/14 12:25 am - Toronto, Canada

A couple of things. At 18 months you might be at the end of your malabsorption, so you need to work harder now. Every person is different, and i'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but from what i've been told your body might not want to lose more. I stopped at 9 months, and then took another four or so to get to my goal weight. Then I lost some more (with hard work) around the 2 year mark. 

I also run 5-6 times a week (some runs are very long distance as well), and I can still gain and lose the same 5 pounds. And only eat 1200 calories a day. But that's me, 3.5 years out. 

I would stick to no higher than 1200 calories, and 30% carbs if you want to lose. Change up your exercise routine. Are you running at the same pace each time? Your body will get used to that. Do you do any strength training? Add that in as well. Muscle burns calories. It doesn't have to be lifting weights, it can be yoga, or doing a plank and squat challenge. Mixing up your routine shakes your body up. 

Hope that helps. 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

gunnabehealthy
on 8/13/14 6:37 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. And yes, Kelly, I will go on the lower end of my calories and try to switch up my exercise. Thanks again!!

Soon_to_Shrink
on 8/13/14 12:53 am

The nurse practitioner in Ottawa said  once that the most common reason she sees for people stopping to lose weight or regaining is that they aren't as diligent respecting ing the no drinking 30 min pre and 1 hr post eating.  Not sure if this is the case for you or not but might be worth checking.

Also, if you're close to goal maybe the remanding weight you want to lose is excess skin?  It's not uncommon to have 20+ lbs of excess skin tissue post weight loss surgery.

the other thing I would mention is that if you are doing the same exercise regime every week it is likely your body has become more efficient doing it.  Try switching up the exercise by doing something new - swimming, spinning, etc to challenge your body.

I'm not an expert but just some thoughts I had on your situation.  You can always call your center for a consult and they may have more ideas.  Great work so far.

Karen M.
on 8/13/14 1:15 am - Mississauga, Canada

The not drinking 30 minutes prior to eating rule has been disproven, actually. If you have RNY, the water flows through the stoma and pouch and washes away - like water through a funnel. Completely agree with you regarding not drinking after meals.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 8/13/14 1:33 am - Toronto, Canada

I've not heard of one hour post. Just 1/2 an hour post. I'm not sure I would get all my water in if I waited that long!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 8/13/14 1:40 am - Mississauga, Canada

I have heard both about equally - I wait at least 30 minutes myself.

Karen

Karen M.
on 8/13/14 1:11 am - Mississauga, Canada

How frustrating for you, especially since you appear to be so on track with what you're eating and exercising. Just wondering, do you track your food intake on myfitnesspal or similar? I still do that sporadically to make sure I'm not slipping or letting bites and tastes sneak back into my routine. To maintain my weight I eat between 1200-1400 calories per day; if I want to lose I have to go down to about 1000 per day. (Not that I really count calories - just protein and carbs - but myfitnesspal kindly figures it all out for me lol)

I do not think you have to be done losing necessarily. I know my body is weird but I kept losing slowly into my third year post-op. Maybe you could do a couple of days posting on the What Are You Eating thread so we could have a look at your menu - just a thought.

K.

Karen

Most Active
Recent Topics