Sleep study

Dolly K.
on 8/15/14 3:58 am

Just wondering if someone does have sleep apnea - does it help or goes against the surgery?

Thanks 

glutenfreeslimmer
on 8/15/14 5:11 am - Kingston, Canada

If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, have been prescribed a CPAP and are using it, then you are on track for surgery.  They may want to check to make sure you are using it every night and are comfortable with it.  You will have to bring it with you for surgery, as you will use it at the hospital to sleep.

Dave_J
on 8/15/14 5:25 am - Canada

I would think it would "help" a little bit.  Typically (although not always) people have sleep apnea because they are large people, and there is potential for the sleep apnea to disappear with weight loss.

My personal experience is that I was diagnosed with mild-moderate sleep apnea when I weighed 440 lbs, and waiting to get into the sleep clinic actually delayed my getting in the queue for surgery.  I had a follow up visit with my sleep apnea doctor when I weighed about 375lbs (after surgery) and he stated that when I dropped to about 300 lbs, I wouldn't need my machine anymore (about 30 lbs away).  That said, I wonder how long it will take to adjust not using the machine once I don't need it anymore.

Lastly, as previously mentioned by another poster, there are some doctors that will check to ensure you're using your CPAP machine before doing the surgery, and you'll also need it following the surgery....

Dave

Started Optifast April 8, 2014, and had surgery May 6, 2014 @ St. Joe's, Toronto, Dr. Lindsay

Dolly K.
on 8/15/14 11:11 am

Thank you so much! I don't not know if I have sleep apnea. I was wondering should I ask my family doctor to send the referral in, if it is a requirement of the surgery, so there is no delay in the process. On the other side, I was thinking do I really need to go through this, if it is not a requirement. I am going through TWH.

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/14 4:35 pm - Toronto, Canada

I myself do not have sleep apnea, Im pretty positive I don't snore at all, and do not wake up with headaches, or any other symptoms associated with sleep apnea. However I've never been tested for it. I believe they only make you do the sleep test if you are over a certain weight. They did not ask me to do one after they went through various 'sleep apnea test questions. I think if you are unsure, you'd want to know, but if you are like me, and are pretty positive you don't have it, then I believe they will only make you do the test to ensure that, if you are over a certain weight. Not positive, but pretty sure I read that on the forum somewhere. And yes, if the do require it from you, it is an extra step, which therefore will cause a slightly longer process, but still, if you have it, you'd want to know right? 

i am also through TWH 

Dolly K.
on 8/15/14 11:22 pm

Thanks Lynne. It really helps me as I am in a same boat as you are . After reading your response I think I might not need it. I weigh 246lb and I don't snore - may be here and there but not on regular basis lol. I got my initial nurse appointment on August 19th, will let you know. Now I am at little ease :)

NewMe2.0
on 8/16/14 1:51 am, edited 8/16/14 1:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

I had no symptoms of sleep apnea, and would have bet money that I didn't have it.  I was on the fence about whether my center would want me to have one, and decided to get it done just in case.  WOW...thank god I did...I had severe sleep apnea, stopped breathing over 60x a minute, the longest episode lasting 93seconds...

I had to bring the printout from my CPAP machine to my clinic to prove I was using it, and they did require I bring the unit to the hospital on my surgery date. 

In response to your initial question...having sleep apnea is considered a comorbidity, so will help in the cause to get surgery.

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Dave_J
on 8/16/14 1:52 am - Canada
On August 15, 2014 at 11:35 PM Pacific Time, LYNNE J. wrote:

I myself do not have sleep apnea, Im pretty positive I don't snore at all, and do not wake up with headaches, or any other symptoms associated with sleep apnea. However I've never been tested for it. I believe they only make you do the sleep test if you are over a certain weight. They did not ask me to do one after they went through various 'sleep apnea test questions. I think if you are unsure, you'd want to know, but if you are like me, and are pretty positive you don't have it, then I believe they will only make you do the test to ensure that, if you are over a certain weight. Not positive, but pretty sure I read that on the forum somewhere. And yes, if the do require it from you, it is an extra step, which therefore will cause a slightly longer process, but still, if you have it, you'd want to know right? 

i am also through TWH 

The only way you would know is if you're tested...there are many people in perfect health who have it.  In my case, I didn't meet the minimum number of times where I stopped breathing within an hour, but my O2 levels dropped low enough for the sleep lab to say I had sleep apnea.

Dave

Started Optifast April 8, 2014, and had surgery May 6, 2014 @ St. Joe's, Toronto, Dr. Lindsay

Karen M.
on 8/16/14 3:31 am - Mississauga, Canada

"The only way you would know is if you're tested" - YES.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/14 6:07 am, edited 8/16/14 6:07 am - Toronto, Canada

Well for whatever reason, they decided after answering the questions, a test was not required for me. Congrats on your weight loss Dave!