Low metabolism or what..

charminglearner
on 12/9/14 6:41 am
RNY on 10/27/14

I have a confession to make.  I had Optifast for two weeks and lost six (6) pounds.  That was 2.5 % of my weight. I did not cheat and drank all my water daily.   Yep, you read that right.  I am the slowest loser I know of.

It is now 6 weeks post surgery and in total I have lost 24 pounds, which is 10% of my total weight.  

I know the surgery is working, but it is a slower process than anyone else I know who had 100 lbs to lose.  I lose a pound every three days drinking my water, walking an hour, and even when I only consume 480 calories (three Premiere shakes).  And if my sleep is poor, I retain fluid and the scale goes up rather than down.

Just thought I would put that out there.  I was imagining a faster drop than this, what with RNY surgery and all.  But my body does not want to give it up!  Just hope this means my skin will shrink too and I will not be trying to pay for plastic surgery in a year or two.  lol

Have a good day.

sellarsgal
on 12/9/14 7:02 am - Oshawa, Canada

It's possible you're not getting in enough calories. If at 6 weeks out you are usually only getting in around 500 calories, it is not enough! Especially if you are exercising as well. 

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

Catw
on 12/9/14 7:17 am - Arnprior, Canada

You also have to remember that the less you have to lose, the slower it seems.  Those who have much more to lose, will start losing it quicker.  Just keep to plan and you'll get to where you want to go.

Cathy

kellybelly333
on 12/9/14 11:03 pm - Toronto, Canada

That depends on the person. I was a lightweight and a fast loser. I know a few others like me too. Maybe it's the majority though of lightweights?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

charminglearner
on 12/9/14 10:58 am
RNY on 10/27/14

Thank you for the encouragement.  I will try to increase my calories and just hang in there.  Really, is there any other choice?  lol

(deactivated member)
on 12/9/14 11:42 am, edited 12/9/14 11:43 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I eat between 700-800 calories a day, and I am 7 weeks post op. I could never survive off three shakes a day, and honestly, I don't want to. You may need to consume more calories. Of course speak to your NUT and see what she/he advises. I just know my NUT REALLY wants me to get my calories and protein from food, not shakes. 

Good luck!! 

birdiegirl
on 12/9/14 5:52 pm

Whoaa - before you increase your calories - what type of surgery did you have?  If VSG - it is restrictive only so you may lose slower - upping your calories would be a mistake in my opinion. 

Why don't you give us some more info?  surgery type - foods eaten - are you only drinking shakes at this point?  Measure yourself if you haven't already and track your inches lost.  Please just dont add calories .

charminglearner
on 12/11/14 6:38 am
RNY on 10/27/14

lol As I add calories, it will be as healthy as possible.  

I went through surgery, no easy thing, not about to sabotage this tool!

KerryF.
on 12/9/14 6:14 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

The original post says RNY surgery, but even with VSG would a nutritionist actually recommend living on just 3 protein shakes a day only?

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

birdiegirl
on 12/9/14 6:56 pm

wow - I sure didn't read the original post very accurately as the OP mentions her surgery type! 

and to answer your question - though I'm not sure why its posed - I cannot imagine a nutritionist recommending living on just 3 protein shakes per day, nor did I read that the OP's nutritionist recommended this......did I miss something again?

Most Active
Recent Topics