Great presentation by Kelly

Nanato2
on 1/21/15 7:48 pm, edited 1/21/15 7:50 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Last nights presenter at TWH meeting was Kellybelly333 and I have to say she did amazing. There was lots of questions afterwards and some great answers and because of her talk I now have two people who are going to contact me about getting out and walking at lunch and during various 5k,10k or half marathons.

Kelly thank-you for taking us throughout your 4 year journey from where you started and to today being a bariathlete you are an inspiration.

Lynn 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

BluIzGal
on 1/21/15 10:22 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I completely agree. I debated with the cold weather about going but didn't want to miss Kelly's presentation. I'm glad I went!  Congrats Kelly on all of your accomplishments. 

Patricia

kellybelly333
on 1/22/15 1:32 am - Toronto, Canada

That's so nice!! Here is info on RH from the TWH guidelines. Continue documenting your RH moments, not just food, but what you were doing, your stress level at the time etc. Something I didn't mention is that high stress can cause RH for me. And that can include shopping...a happy high stress! Glad you pack the Dex tabs!

Hypoglycemia

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar. Even if you did not have diabetes before surgery you may experience hypoglycemia after surgery. The type of low blood sugar you can get after surgery is called reactive hypoglycemia. Reactive hypoglycemia is low blood sugar that usually happens after you eat a meal or a snack that is high in sugar.
What are the signs and symptoms?
 Hunger
 Dizziness
 Cold and clammy skin
These signs happen after you eat. Symptoms usually happen a few hours after eating. They usually go away after you eat again.

Why does this happen?

Foods high in sugar may pass into the small intestine before they have been adequately broken down. This causes the pancreas to secrete more insulin than is needed which brings the blood sugar level down too low.
How can you prevent it from happening?
 eat balanced meals
 eat meals on time
 have protein with each meal and snack
 choose carbohydrates that are high in fibre and low in sugar
To help control your blood sugar eat the protein portion of your meal first.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Patm
on 1/21/15 10:27 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am sorry I was unable to go. I have always found Kelly an inspiration. Where are you walking at lunch?

kellybelly333
on 1/21/15 10:37 pm - Toronto, Canada

Thank you ladies. I really appreciate that. I love hearing that people are getting together to get their movement in. It's so important!!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Ivanova8
on 1/22/15 11:29 pm - Toronto, Canada

I'm so disappointed I couldn't go.  I still wasn't up to driving since I had my surgery last week.  Darn.  It would have been nice to meet a fellow forum member in person too.  

Kelly you must have been amazing as I heard on another board also I also heard it was a great talk.  I would have loved to heard an inspiring talk especially about walking which is something I like to do.  

I've been to three previous meetings but I'm not sure if anyone from this forum was a speaker.  It's so nice to see that the support group is so helpful. 

GP Referral June 2014 / Orientation Sept 2014 / Social Worker Oct 2014 / 1st Nurse Oct 2014 / Psych Oct 2014 / NUT Class & Dietitian Nov 2014 / 2nd Nurse Nov 2014 /Surgeon Consult Dec 2014 / Surgery Jan 12, 2015

kellybelly333
on 1/28/15 11:50 pm - Toronto, Canada

Hi there. I believe I am the first speaker from this forum. I was happy to be first. I hope you are recouping well! What i recommend for walking, is do it always. Build and gain on it as time moves on. I have watched others go from a wheelchair, to a walker, to canes to no support....all through determination on building up their cardio and muscles just from walking. I mentioned that I had the pleasure of walking across the finish line of a half marathon with a lady who lost 280 pounds. She could barely walk to the end of her driveway to get the mail before surgery. The more you move, the more you lose (along with following the WLS dietary guidelines as well). Good luck with your journey!

Kelly

Ivanova8
on 1/30/15 12:17 am - Toronto, Canada

Thanks Kelly.  280 lbs lost - impressive!  Walking is my favorite activity.  I'm glad to be back at it more consistently now.  My biggest challenge will be getting to the gym on a more regular schedule.  

Maybe you've set a precedent and others will follow in your footsteps and give a talk at the group in the future too.  

All the best to your continued success! 

GP Referral June 2014 / Orientation Sept 2014 / Social Worker Oct 2014 / 1st Nurse Oct 2014 / Psych Oct 2014 / NUT Class & Dietitian Nov 2014 / 2nd Nurse Nov 2014 /Surgeon Consult Dec 2014 / Surgery Jan 12, 2015

Dar_Tay
on 1/22/15 11:42 pm - Canada

This sounded like a perfect Information Class!!!  Lots of questions and someone that obviously really enjoys her work, "Kelly" :)

My orientation class was the complete opposite :(  I left feeling depressed, doubting every decision I had made about this journey. I just wanted to cry the class was that bad.

There was no smiling, no laughing, no question and answer period. It really was an awful session.  Yes, there was lots of information given, nothing was sugar coated which I appreciated, but she just did not connect with us at all. She was not a happy camper to say the least.  Perhaps she was having a really bad day.

With this being said, and with the help of people on the forum and fb pages I am in contact with, and my wonderful mentor Karen, I am proceeding with this. :)

Keep up the good work Kelly!!!! It is wonderful for you to get all the positive feedback. :)

Karen M.
on 1/23/15 12:18 am - Mississauga, Canada

"Kelly" is a regular poster here - she doesn't work for TWH, she went and did a special presentation at the support group meeting about her post-op accomplishments.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
Recent Topics