Sleep study results?

Drvn2skcede
on 4/13/15 3:34 am

Hi, I had my sleep study done back in January. I only just got my results 2 weeks ago from my GP.  She said the tests showed I had mild apnea, no episodes that woke me up, but 9 episodes that I stopped breathing for a short time.  The results said that I could benefit from a CPAP machine. The clinic requested my iron levels from her.  She sent in the values she had on file from a few months ago and she told me the clinic would call me for a follow-up.  Since then, I got my iron levels re-tested and i've heard nothing from her or the clinic.

I wonder, does anyone know why they would be interested in my iron levels?  Do you think I should try to call the clinic?  If the apnea is only mild, do you think I really need a machine? (FYI: my orientation is next week so I am just starting this journey, the sleep test was done through my GP because i'm tired all the time, don't sleep well, have had a few episodes where I've woke up gasping for air so I suspected apnea and because I knew I was going to need one anyways once this WLS journey began - the sleep study was ordered before the referral to the bariatric registry was done)

For those that have a CPAP, did you have to do a second study after you got your machine?

Thanks!

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

Catw
on 4/13/15 4:09 am, edited 4/13/15 4:09 am - Arnprior, Canada

This is the first I've heard of iron levels being checked by the sleep clinic, but it could be because of how the referral was written up or because of the symptoms you are experiencing are not reflected in the study the way that they should be.  Low iron is one of the causes of fatigue.  I know my iron is low and I have to take extra supplements.  When I didn't, I had a number of problems (not life threatening).

If the sleep clinic thinks that you need a CPAP machine, you'll probably have to go back in, as they'll want to adjust the settings for you (It's not a one size fits all).  There are those one here that have mild sleep apnea, and they find CPAP really help.  I'd look at the cost of renting vs buying as a lot of people don't need the machine after surgery.

The WLC will endorse the CPAP machine if it's recommended by the clinic as they want you to be as healthy as possible before you have surgery.

Cathy

roxytrim
on 4/13/15 4:17 am, edited 4/13/15 4:18 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

If they feel you would benefit from a CPAP it is the best thing ever.  It does take some adjusting to but worth the more peaceful sleep you will get. My experience was that I didn't need to get another sleep study done to be fitted for a CPAP but did need to do another study a month after my initial use to ensure it was set up properly.  After that it may be yearly to check.  Almost immediately following surgery I no longer need it & I had very severe apnea before treatment. You might want to share you sleep study results at your first medical appointment at the bariatric clinic since they may require you to be treated before surgery. They tend to be more picky abouy this than the sleep clinics.

They might want to recheck your iron levels to see if this is adding to your fatigue.  I don't recall any tie in with the sleep study.

Needanewbeginning
on 4/13/15 10:10 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Please, if you have even mild sleep apnea, get and use your machine. I had a cardiac arrest at home they believed was caused by my undiagnosed SA. 

Yes, after you get your machine you do other studies, but they also check the chip in your machine regularly. It monitors everything for you.

I no longer need mine, honestly I miss it! It could save your life, so if its recommended you use cpap, please do. You may not need it forever.

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Drvn2skcede
on 4/14/15 4:32 am

Thanks ladies!  Good to know the machine is worth it, even for mild apnea.  I'll definitely look into the differences between renting and purchasing.  I know my insurance covers CPAP machines, so it might be more financially feasible just to purchase.

FWIW, I did some googling on the iron thing and I suspect that they may have been asking me that due to restless legs.  I have RLS and perhaps low iron may have been the culprit.  I did get my iron results back today though and they were normal, so that's good, but lo and behold my thyroid was low and now I have to start meds for that.  Fun times!  I'll be glad when the surgery comes and I can get rid of these mounting co-morbidities! :)

Referral (OWMC): January 12, 2015; Orientation: April 20, 2015; Intake Nurse: Jul 8, 2015; Beh/Nut: Oct 20, 2015. Beh2: Nov 23, 2015; Nut2: Dec 15, 2015; Pre-Sx Class: January 22, 2016; Surgeon Appt: February 8, 2016; Surgery: March 9, 2016.

Most Active
Recent Topics